How to have hot towels ready all the time?

We have grown with the industry and found we need a forum just for products on the market, places to find them and discussions regarding these items. Please be aware that discussing products or companies should be done with respect and an offer of positive knowledge for all board members.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

rubawaytheday
Fresh Hands

How to have hot towels ready all the time?

Post by rubawaytheday » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I am adding several services to my business that require hot towels. The challenge is having plenty of hot fresh towels ready all the time while at the same time not washing unused towels constantly. I am thinking the best solution might be a large commercial hot towel warmer, but then I would have to leave it on all the time. What I have now is two small hot towel warmers on the treatment rooms, a crock pot and fridge. I thought I could put the unused wet towels in the mini fridge and keep them fresh over night but that did not work! they still got smelly even the ones that were half frozen! I really don't understand bacteria growing when it is that cold. So how can I keep hot fresh towels ready all the time without washing a bunch of unused towels everyday? Is there a way besides leaving a warmer on all the time? I really don't want to do that, but that my be my only option. I got the crock pot to keep hot towels waiting and I figured if we go them out of it then we could replace them with ones from the mini fridge. but alas they were still smelly. ONe day we may do 5 or 10 add ons and one day like to day, none.Someone suggested a box of baking soda in the fridge? or perhaps turning the fridge down to very cold? or is it safe to keep a warmer on all the time? Thanks for all suggestions!
Pain is the path to joy....
in all things.

Matt
Registered Member

Re: How to have hot towels ready all the time?

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 am

Why can't you just wet some towels just prior to the session? I assume you are upgrading a service that has been scheduled? If the client wants to add on a service that requires hot towels the therapist could simply wet the towels while the client is getting undressed and on the table.

Jonathan
Registered Member

Post by Jonathan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Get them wet and nuke 'em in the microwave PRN?
live & let live

moose_goose
Registered Member

Post by moose_goose » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:57 am

You could just throw the unused towels in the dryer at the end of the day.

I would NOT leave them wet/moist (warm/hot or cold/cool) overnight EVER. They will smell rank and turn your clients OFF.

peacenut
Registered Member

Post by peacenut » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:21 am

If I need to have towels hot quickly, I will microwave them and stick them in the towel cabi. If they are hot out of the microwave, they will stay hot even in a cabi that has just been turned on. The cabi gets hot quickly, but it takes time to warm the towels. If you stick them in preheated, you are ready to go.

Figure out how many towels you use in each session and don't put more than that in the warmer at any time. I use different amounts of hot towels for different sessions. My standard is two. Some sessions require six. If I have 4 standard appts for the day, I don't put more than 8 in the cabi.
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Hmm... I leave unused hot towels overnight and they're always fine. My warmer has a UV disinfectant, maybe that's why?

peacenut
Registered Member

Post by peacenut » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:33 pm

I have also left towels in over night on occasion and not had any odor. There is a possibility she is working in a place without chlorinated water.
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.

moose_goose
Registered Member

Post by moose_goose » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 am

http://educatedesthetician.com/2009/12/ ... owel-cabi/
Sanitation: A final note – don’t rely on the UV light inside! A hot towel cabi is a perfect incubator – warm, dark and damp. Never leave unused towels in it overnight – all sorts of things relish the opportunity to grow in such a hospitable environment. Not all cabis have a UV light; if yours does you should regard it only as decorative – it certainly can’t kill bacteria on the inside of a rolled towel – and doesn’t meet any state board requirements for disinfectation.

MaryM
Fresh Hands

Post by MaryM » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:48 am

That's awesome that you have a towel warmer! Have you thought about putting a timer on it? That way you can have hot towels ready to go in the morning without having to leave it on all the time. Amba makes a towel warmer timer. Not sure if it works with a brand other than Amba, but you can see more about it here. http://www.hottowelwarmer.com/amba-towel-warmer

homemassager
Fresh Hands

Post by homemassager » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:17 am

I have used the microwave before I bought my first towel warmer. There is a thread running about where to look for how towel cabinets. http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... 75#p238575

Return to “Tools of the Trade”