Airrosti Technique (similar to MFR/ but not really?)

Discussion of Myofascial Release techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderators: MarionFM, WaltFritz

Airrosti Technique (similar to MFR/ but not really?)

Postby pueppi on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:31 am

Greetings all,

I have been doing some research on different MFR instructors, venues to learn and MFR techniques lately.

I ran across this particular technique (my client and his child, both athletes, have had excellent results from this technique - obviously from a practitioner other than myself) which mentions it is similar to "myofascial".

I found this lengthy thread on another forum (I am currently working my way through the thread - and will delete this parenthesis when I've finished all the reading :) ). The snippit below describes the technique in this way.
The Airrosti assessment, diagnosis, and treatment model specifically addresses the connective tissue systems in the body and provides the appropriate directed manual strokes, pressures, and movements along with neuromuscular re-education and therapeutic activity in order to treat what we find.

Everyone looks for something to compare it to, so I would tell you 'myofascial release,' except it is so much more than anything else out there and the therapy is performed in a completely different manner. As far as theory goes behind the Airrosti treatment, there is plenty of evidence in peer reviewed journals out there that support the idea that fascial tissue is the limiting factor in musculoskeletal injuries.

I have read their website, and I have to agree with one or more of the posters in the above mentioned thread, that their actual website doesn't sound much more than an advertisement. It also seems the technique is currently only being taught to DC's, and that the technique is somewhat secretive.

Any experiences with it, thoughts, opinions or comparisons of this to other techniques? It could make for interesting discussion.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby AGWLMT on Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:07 pm

I have never heard of this.

My general feeling about 'secret' techniques isn't good though. And the only to DC's thing is also not good. I know sites for a certain technique always say they are the best, hopefully they don't really act like that. As anyone with any experience knows, all modalities have great value.

Saying that I am a Barnes trained advanced MFR therapist, and I love the all inclusive, just need some kind of 'license to touch' prerequisite they have. All the practitioners and all their different approaches really enhance the overall field.

I do agree though that the limiting factor in musculoskeletal recovery is the fascia. But it also limits healing of so much more....
Ami

Greater Chicago area
AGWLMT
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue May 29, 2007 5:29 pm

Just an update:

I've been doing my research, and have one more person to contact who is "in the know". I think I'll have all the info gathered in the next month or so and I'll write that here.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:26 am

I've been doing my research, and have one more person to contact who is "in the know". I think I'll have all the info gathered in the next month or so and I'll write that here.

I'm still working on this thread, slowly but surely (obviously more along the lines of "or so" than in a month, as stated above. *winks*). I have collected some more info and am in the process of a thoroughly following up on that. It may be a few more months, as I am a bit busy right now.

I did recently come across one of the Airrosti advertisements in a DC publication and am parking it here for general information, so those reading get a general idea of this company.

Airrosti is a nationally recognized sports medicine & rehab treatment practice that trains, manages, and places its certified providers into accredited sports medicine facilities. Our rapid and consistent patient outcomes allow us to significantly impact medical practices, sports organizations, large employers, carriers, brokers, and TPA's. We are currently interviewing DCs for opportunities in EL PASO, HOUSTON, AUSTIN, SAN ANTONIO, and all surrounding areas. Qualified candidates should possess good palpation skills, have above-average hand/grip strength, and have a genuine affinity for soft tissue work with experience in myofascial release or similar techniques. A background in sports and the treatment of sports-related injuries is strongly preferred. Successful candidates will be trained in our revolutionary, trade-secreted, assessment and treatment model. Current TX license and insurance is required. Airrosti offers competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package and an excellent work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested applicants should send their CV to [email protected]. For more information on our organization please visit us at www.airrosti.com

With the "trade-secreted" concept appearing. *sighs*
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:07 pm

So, I have finally had a chance to do my follow up work, a bit sooner than expected.

Here is the presentation of information which basically explains how Airrosti came from Dr. Stephen P. Typaldos, D.O., the originator of the Fascial Distortion Model (FDM). I had been told that this was the case, but I wanted to also do some research.

There are two websites regarding his work:
The current site - http://www.typaldos.org/index.html
And, the old site - http://www.orthopathy.com/

From the Typaldos Foundation Positions on Important Topics page, the following excerpt is avaliable. Of course, it is too bad that Dr. Typaldos didn't like chiropractic, nor did he have good things to say about PT's, and it's really a shame that MT's can't take the coursework in his treatment plan, but, still, this is interesting information that someone may like to read about. And, of course, I'd think anyone could purchase the book.

What ever should we do with copycats?

Treatment results in the FDM are fabulous. So understandingly, there are those who want to sell it under different names. There are two in particular that have achieved a measure of success and recognition: the myofascial disruption technique (MFDT) clan out of Arizona, and AIRROSTI in the state of Texas.

MFDT started because some chiropractors were angry that Dr. Typaldos would not teach them the FDM. So they bought the textbook off Ebay, then learned what they could. (Note: We have absolutely no knowledge of the level of competency of these doctors.) After that, they gave the treatments their own name (quite similar, don't you think?), and sold the idea as their own.

AIRROSTI began with a physical therapist who Dr. Typaldos trained while he lived in Texas. She became quite successful using the Model, but told patients she developed the treatments herself. This incident had a strong influence in Dr. Typaldos's decision not to train PTs.

She sold her business concept to some entrepreneurs, who are training chiropractors and making them AIRROSTI Providers. Notwithstanding its corrupt beginning, the company has very professional management, and well-trained doctors. The Foundation encourages chiropractors without a practice of their own, who want to learn and use the FDM, to apply to work with AIRROSTI in Texas.

Some in FDM circles have asked the Foundation to take aggressive action against copycats. However, while the Foundation acknowledges that their unwillingness to give Dr. Typaldos credit is indeed shameful on their part, the Foundation is much more interested in propagating the Model, than in trying to control everyone who uses it.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby WaltFritz on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:40 am

pueppi's post drew me to the website, which reminded me of a story a retired Osteopath I knew once told me. He was at the Univ. of Michigan for most of his career. Many of you who have taken CST via Upledger would know that Upledger was there as well, for a time. This acquaintence of mine had the view that Upledger is something of a pariah for "diluting" the Osteopathic profession by teaching CST to therapists. WE apparently were less than capable or worthy of doing such work. It sounds like that attitude is still ripe within some osteopaths.

There is so much excellent fascial training available, it seems foolish to invest oneself in a structure that appears so elitist.
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program
WaltFritz

Re: Airrosti Technique (similar to MFR/ but not really?)

Postby pueppi on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:40 pm

pueppi
Registered Member

Re:

Postby pueppi on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:36 pm

pueppi wrote:So, I have finally had a chance to do my follow up work, a bit sooner than expected.

Here is the presentation of information which basically explains how Airrosti came from Dr. Stephen P. Typaldos, D.O., the originator of the Fascial Distortion Model (FDM). I had been told that this was the case, but I wanted to also do some research.

There are two websites regarding his work:
The current site - http://www.typaldos.org/index.html
And, the old site - http://www.orthopathy.com/

I was talking with one of my massage clients yesterday, as she was asking about Airrosti. I gave her this thread as a way to get some of the background information. I noticed that one link is now disabled, but I located an additional one while checking a few more things ( https://www.fascialdistortion.com/ ). It looks like the Fascial Distortion Model is getting a shiny re-do and MT's and PT's can now get training. It seems the Typaldos Foundation has pulled down their Positions on Important Topics page ( http://www.typaldos.org/positions.html ) which I referenced in post #5, above.

Who can attend the seminars?

Our seminars are open to:
•Chiropractors
•Physical Therapists
•Athletic Trainers
•Occupational Therapists
•Osteopathic Physicians
•Medical Doctors
•Licensed Massage Therapists

Student pricing is available with proof of enrollment.

If our seminars are unavailable to you at this time, but you’d like to be notified of any updates or changes, please sign-up for our FDM™ Newsletter.

Who are you?

The Fascial Distortion Model was developed by Stephen Typaldos, DO. We are working with the Typaldos family to bring the Fascial Distortion Model to healthcare providers. All of our study material and instruction is based on the Typaldos Method and was developed from his writings, slides, research, and videos.

And, I guess while I am adding links, here is the link to the EFDMA (European Fascial Distortion Model Association) http://fdm-europe.com/fdm-en/stephen-typaldos/ .

-=--=--=-
    Works info, for those interested:

• "His first two papers were written concurrently on Triggerband Technique and Continuum Distortions and were published in the AAO Journal in 1994. His third paper, which included four distortions and described the Fascial Distortion Model, was written next and published in the summer of 1995. All three of these articles were reprinted in the British journal The Osteopath in the Spring, Summer and Autumn of 1995. He wrote the Cylinder paper in 1995 and it was published on the internet in the same year. Tectonic Fixations were also discovered in 1995."

• In 1996 he completed the first edition of his book, which later became known as the prototype (because there were only 50 copies printed).
    • In 1997 (ed. 1), 1998 (ed. 2), 1999 (ed.3): "Orthopathic Medicine: The Unification of Orthopedics with Osteopathy Through the Fascial Distortion Model"
    • In 2002 the above mentioned book was given a new title: "FDM: Clinical and Theoretical Application of the Fascial Distortion Model Within the Practice of Medicine and Surgery"
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Re:

Postby pueppi on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:34 pm

pueppi wrote: It looks like the Fascial Distortion Model is getting a shiny re-do and MT's and PT's can now get training.

This link may be useful to someone (It gives some basic info about FDM): file:///C:/Users/nnn/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/C5806X59/aconp-fascial-distortion-model%20(1).pdf
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Re:

Postby pueppi on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:47 pm

pueppi wrote:
pueppi wrote: It looks like the Fascial Distortion Model is getting a shiny re-do and MT's and PT's can now get training.

This link may be useful to someone (It gives some basic info about FDM): file:///C:/Users/nnn/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/C5806X59/aconp-fascial-distortion-model%20(1).pdf

Correction to the link: https://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/ ... -model.pdf
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Airrosti Technique (similar to MFR/ but not really?)

Postby pueppi on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:02 pm

A massage client of mine (64 year old sedentary female, with a recent fall) who sees me every two weeks, was recently referred to an Airrosti practitioner by her MD (whom I referred her to, for general guidance, as she did not like it when I told her that a sprain/strain injury such as the one she sustained would likely take between 6-12 weeks to heal). I also referred her to the MD, so that if there was possible tearing of the rotator cuff, they could go ahead and look into getting an MRI fairly quickly, which would be covered more easily if she got the referral for that from the MD.

I learned of this interaction when I saw her on the 8th day (post-initial Airrosti visit) where she was still visibly bruised, in the colors of yellow, black and purple.

The Airrosti practitioner had hurt her, taped her, gave her a LaCrosse ball to use for her shoulder (while leaning on it against a wall), bruised her, told her to ice twice a day and perform a certain style of exercises and to come back for a second treatment on the 5th day.

As far as I am concerned this is absolutely unnecessary, unacceptable and an assault on the tissues and nervous system.

As a side note, I recently came across the words that go with acronym AIRROSTI (Applied Integration for the Rapid Recovery of Soft Tissue Injuries).

I have known other patients and clients to see the occasional AIRROSTI practitioner without this kind of damage. The bigest problem is that because the practitioner told my patient he would bruise her, she thinks this is normal, and there is no talking her out of this opinion. Although she refused to return for the 5 day follow-up, she actually plans to see him again this coming Monday.

The best I could convince her of, was that if she saw him again, she should to tell him that he needs to knock it down a whole lot of notches... to about 50% of what he did on her the first time. I am not sure she will even say anything. :undecided:
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to MFR Techniques