I failed my exam three times!

Discussion of topics relating to National Certification, the NCBTMB (Board) and the NCETMB (Examination).

Moderators: stonegirl, JaeMarie

I failed my exam three times!

Postby Heather5745 on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:11 pm

Hello everyone. Yup, I failed the exam three times. I was always so close to passing anyway. This Saturday, June 11 I'm taking it again.I'm sorry to bug everyone but does anyone have any advice on me passing my massage exam? I'm taking the new exam they have out. It has 26% A&P, plus kinesiology. Not my best subjects! HELP! Thank you.<br>
Heather5745
Fresh Hands

Re: I failed my exam three times!

Postby yrusore on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:39 pm

Sorry to hear it.<br>It sounds like you've been studyig.  Someone once told me that eating blueberries beforehand helps to stimulate your memory. <br>Remember, if at first you don't succeed, start saving up for another try. <br>And make sure the state you live in will accept the new test for licensure, if that's why you're taking it. NM for instance will only accept the NCETMB and not NCETM.
"Movement is life. Life is a process. Improve the quality of the process and you improve the quality of life itself."- Moshe Feldenkrais
yrusore
Registered Member

Postby dgm on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear that too. That's a lot of stress and money. I wish I could tell you about the NCETM, I just recently took the NCETMB. I don't have percentages in front of me to compare. The best I can do is offer a few things that helped me pass.<br><br>I used Ashton's book to study from, books from school and the library, and several of the online stuff recommended in other posts. Mostly Ashton's book as it sums everything up nicely in one light-weight book. If A&P is a weak area for you it's not a bad resource to study from.<br><br>No matter how hard I studied it still didn't give me the confidence I should have had while taking the blasted test. As far as that goes just find the thing that gets you centered and relaxed and don't forget to breath. Maybe a massage?<br><br>Utah too only accepts the NCETMB, I would have preferred to take the NCETM. I prefer the A&P stuff over the meridian stuff the NCETMB had.<br><br>!*&%# I wish I could just lend you my brain for that section or make some psychic connection to you while you take the test. I would feel awful if I didn't hear you pass it this next round.<br><br>OK everybody, here's what we do. Let's all pray or meditate or whatever while Heather5745 takes this beastly test and all the good energy, angels, etc. will make her ace it, and they'll come knockin' on her door demanding to know how she got a 100%.<br>
dgm
Fresh Hands

Postby medicineman on Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Heather, Here is how I passed.  I took their study guide and created a section in a binder for every topic.  I copied from my A&P notes and text, my massage text,trailguides, and anywhere else I had to go to get info.  My binder is about 2" thick.  Mark it up with red pencil and highliters to bring important stuff out. Read it from end to end.  Remember the rotator cuff is SITS.  Pay attention to endangerment sites.<br>I passed and you can too.  Just prepare and then relax.  Don't let stress cloud your thoughts.<br>Medicineman  ;)
medicineman
Fresh Hands

Postby Heather5745 on Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:13 am

Thank you all for your kind words.I wish I would have found this website months ago.
Heather5745
Fresh Hands

Postby Butterfly2005 on Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:48 am

Heather, <br><br>     I My self fell the test for the first time like two months ago. Just relax. I am getting ready to take it again. I just have to get everything together again. JUST BREATH IN AND OUT!!!!!!!!!!
Butterfly2005
Fresh Hands

Postby calmbodyworker on Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:45 am

Hi <br>Wish I could say I failed my test. I show up for a test that would load properly on the test site's computer. Unfortunately I was made to wait over an hour before they told me. I have contacted NCTMTB,and Prometric Testing with no luck yet. Apparently neither answers their phone or responds to e-mails, so I'll try the old us mail route. Very frustating, I have put in many hours into just trying to get a response. <br><br>Hang in there Heather at least you able to take the test. I'll be think about you on the 11th. Keep me posted.<br><br>
calmbodyworker
Fresh Hands

Postby yrusore on Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:01 am

I'm just wondering.  Would you get turned away from the testing facility if your fingernails were painted different colors?  <br>Not that they would be painted in colors that would serve as a nemonic for the chakras or whatever or nothing like that; I'm just askin'.
"Movement is life. Life is a process. Improve the quality of the process and you improve the quality of life itself."- Moshe Feldenkrais
yrusore
Registered Member

Postby Heather5745 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:52 am

Sorry, yrusore. I sent you the wrong private message. It's to early in the morning! That was a great idea about the fingernail polish.
Heather5745
Fresh Hands

Postby CaringHandsMss on Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:31 am

Heather5745,<br>Sorry to hear that You failed 3 times.<br>Hope it goes better for You this next time.<br>I found out too late that my state doesn't require the NCE test anymore to be taken to practice here, instead they see One's performance (GPA) at am Acceredited School...so I chalked it up to experience.<br><br>Again here's wishing You Peace, Blessings and a passing percentage Your next time taking it!!!<br><br>Sincerely,<br>CaringHandsMss :)
CaringHandsMss
Retired Moderator

Postby CaringHandsMss on Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:33 am

Heather5745.....<br><br>I just noticed that June 11 was yesterday.....SOOO how did You do???<br><br>Sincerely,<br>CaringHandsMss :)
CaringHandsMss
Retired Moderator

Postby Samantha on Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:15 pm

my state doesn't require the NCE test anymore to be taken to practice here, instead they see One's performance (GPA) at am Acceredited School
<br>CaringHandsMss, what is your state that looks at GPA from an accredited school? I'm asking because our school, which is pretty new, has decided not to give grades, but rather to just pass or fail students. I'm disappointed because all along they've been telling us what we need to do to get A's in our classes, and I have gone above and beyond all requirements in order to get A's. Now I find out I'm not getting any higher marks than those who have done half the work and studying than I have done. I've also noticed that now that the students realize it doesn't matter how well they perform on tests and assignments, or how long it takes them to complete assignments, they are slacking off. Most of the students in my school seem to just want to "get by". <br><br>If I should move to a state that looks at GPA as a requirement rather than the NCE, I need to be forwarned as getting a pass or fail might not cut it with some state licensing requirements. Actually, if what you are saying proves to be true, that might be enough to persuade my school to change their thoughts on grades. More and more of the students are coming from out of state.<br><br>~Samantha
Samantha
Registered Member

Postby yrusore on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:40 pm

Samantha,  <br>Don't let go of the fact that you came away from school with twice as much as those who didn't try as hard as you did. In the end, the only one who can judge your experience is you.
yrusore
Registered Member

Postby modans on Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:52 am

Hi Heather,<br>I am retaking my exam the end of, this month. I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I am hoping you passed last Saturday. I am in a tough space right now and just found this site. Everyone is so supportive. Do you have any advice now that you have taken the new exam? The content outline is freaking me out a little with some new things I'm unfamiliar with.<br>Peace & Light,<br>Mo
modans
Fresh Hands

Postby hands4health on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:47 am

I too went for the test and after completing it the computer crashed and all was lost. I made calls everyday to everyone I could to get me re-scheduled. It worked I took my test again within 2 weeks and passed.

In a way it was good as I got to see the questions and was more relaxed and went back home and studied what I saw I was unsure of even though I was pissed as heck at that time.

By the way my school only has pass or fail and does not give grades. They have been doing that for 30 years. I believe most private schools do that unlike the more public like colleges.

I live in Nevada which requires the exam. I just got my license for the County which includes the stip and for Las Vegas City. Cannot get a license in Henderson because they require the school to be natinally accredited which mine is in California only.

The state of Nevada just passed a law for a state license which becomes effective Oct 1, 2005. If they do not require the national accredited schools they Henderson will change their laws. I looked up the bill and it looks like so far that is not written in it. They will require an exam though. It probably will be the same exam.

Anyone in Nevada interested can read it in

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/73rd/reports ... fm?ID=1785

I just looked again and they removed the date of Oct 1 from the page. Do not know why unless they are changing the date. It was at the very bottom the other day as the day it would become official.

Good luck with your exam this time will be a charm.

Regards,
Barbara
Barbara
hands4health
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:37 pm

I am glad to hear there is somone in the same boat as me. I took the test 3 x's in one year. I just gave up. The nation cert. board has gotten enough money from me for the time being. The way I see it, I have a 12 year membership by defalt. LOL
JLWmassage

Postby KneadingU on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Hey Heather,

I have been teaching massage therapy for 20 years, and I have had many students who failed the National Exam 3x. Don't feel bad, they don't test you on what you know, they test you on whether you know how to take a test. I actually know some of the people at the AMTA that started the process of NCTMB testing and it was never intended to be a licensing exam. That's what makes it so "out-of-place." But as states began adopting state licensure, they did not have the resources and money to write their own test, so they adopted the NCE. One of my friends was actually an adviser to the Nevada Massage State licensing board in the early 1990's.

I say "Don't give up!" I have tutored graduates in preparation to take the exam and I also have a website devoted to preparing for the exam. It is set up the same way where you take online quizzes, one at a time, and it gives you instant feedback. Most everyone that has used it has passed because many of the questions are almost the same as the NCE. It's at: http://www.massage-nce.com/. If you like it (take the free tour), let me know and I will make a special arrangement with you, since you spent so much money already.

Val
KneadingU
Registered Member

Postby DoctorRain on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Its cheering me up a bit more to hear of other peoples stories. They make it extremely hard to pass. Heather in 2005 looks to have dealt with this. She might have passed by now though since its been 6 yrs.
I do think they should base things off GPA. I got around a 4.0 including attendance.
Its hard enough to get work and do the work day to day let alone having to worry about a frikken test and going through automated phone systems.. These are the things that tick me off to no end. I wouldn't even complain about the work so much. This is the biggest distraction here.
DoctorRain
Fresh Hands

Return to National Certification