Massage causes nausea

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Massage causes nausea

Postby marley on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:42 pm

Looking for your thoughts on why I get nauseated and light-headed while receiving massage therapy. I've experienced this during full-body massage. It doesn't seem to matter what area the MT is working on since it's happened during shoulder and leg massage. It passes fairly quickly but is very intense. I'm rarely nauseated otherwise but do get dizzy easily....old head/neck injury. Thanks
marley
Fresh Hands

Postby dodab on Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:10 am

Welcome to BWO Marley! We hope you like our place!

The nausea that you are experiencing may be due to the old injury. When we experience an injury, no matter how long ago it was, the blocked energy remains in the area until it is released. When your therapist works on the area, it is "stirring things up" more or less to remove that energy. I suggest you say something to the therapist, working on the area a little more to remove that old energy will help to get rid of the problem. Let us know how it goes! :D
Last edited by dodab on Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way.
But must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer
dodab
Registered Member

Postby Corban_hands on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:17 am

Yea, I've found this is quite common for many people actually, especially with the massages that do stir energy, like dodab said. One massage in particular that I have been learning gives some people this effect, almost to the point of being high for up to four hours... pretty intense stuff. I've seen stone massages have strange effects for up to ten hours. It really depends on the therapist, your body and whatever issues are being worked on. But I agree with Dodab, talk to your therapist and see about getting that stuff unblocked, it's not good for it to sit around and who knows... you may even enjoy your energy movement :wink:

Ohh I almost forgot, it seems that people who are more intune with their bodies seem to be more susceptible to it than most are. So it's a good thing that you're feeling it, although you probably don't feel like it is :p
Trying is a loud way of not doing.
Corban_hands
Fresh Hands

Postby moogie on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:14 pm

Corban_hands wrote:One massage in particular that I have been learning gives some people this effect, almost to the point of being high for up to four hours... pretty intense stuff. I've seen stone massages have strange effects for up to ten hours.

I tell my hot stone clients that they should feel "stoned" after the massage!
:lol:
And most of them report that that is exactly how they feel.

Back to the subject at hand......do you drink enough water?? If your body is dehydrated (most people walk around dehyrdated on a daily basis and don't even realize it) then it can't deal with the toxins that are being flushed out. Nausea and dizziness can be the result.

Try making sure you drink lots of water before and after your treatment.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby GinaT on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:48 pm

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but here it is. I will sometimes have increased heart beat, tingling head/light headedness, followed with a little anxiety, then nausea. But for some reason this only happens with certain therapists. I don't know why that is. One therapist just had this certain technique that kind of gave me an unsettling feeling. She was very good at what she did, but for some reason it did not jive with me. Or it jived so well that it delved farther then I was willing to go. Also, her office kind of freaked me out. I couldn't tell you why, but I just didn't feel comfortable there.

Has this happened to you with different therapist?

Also, I have to agree with Angie about the water thing. You might not be dealing with the toxins very well.

Are you getting massage on a regular basis, or are you just going when you hurt? I think the longer you wait in between the massages the harder it is for your body to recover. At least that is my own experience.

You should know, that your experience is not unusual. I worked on this one client one time, and she said she loved deep tissue, and I checked in with her often, but when she went home she actually threw up! She was one of those people that you come across, and you can just see the toxins dripping from their pores. So, I wasn't completely surprised.

My suggestion would be just like Angie said, and drink lots of water before and after, eat high water content foods, and don't eat 2 hours prior to your massage (kind of like if you were going to take a yoga class.) I also agree about telling your therapist about this, he/she might actually have some good ideas to help you too. Hope this helps, and sorry this is so long.
GinaT

Postby BJB-LMP on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:13 pm

It may be the injury, or it may be that lighter pressure would alleviate this problem for you. I have experienced this as well and lessened pressure has helped me. I really have to insist upon it with most practitioners as many assume that another MT must want v firm pressure!
BJB-LMP
Registered Member

nausea

Postby marley on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:33 pm

Great comments. Thank you all. I've experienced the nausea with two different MTs. I think that I've been face down each time it happens. Could be just the motion of rolling over onto my belly since I get dizzy easily, but I don't really think that is it. The old injury could be contributing. I'm trying accupuncture to address that, and to help with migraines. Honestly, the occassional nausea is more intense from massage therapy than from my migraines. What a weird and unexpected thing. The description that Gina T wrote is exactly correct (increased heart beat, tingling head/light headedness, followed with a little anxiety, then nausea). Toxins. I do drink quite a bit of water but could always drink more. I have to take meds daily to prevent migraines (amiltryptilene) and feel that the meds are a sort of toxin. Anyway, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on this one. You've all been helpful.
marley
Fresh Hands

Postby sagetherapist on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:03 am

Just something to think about...
Many people drink plenty of water, but (because of meds, other choices, habits, reasons) cannot assimilate the water well. There is a product that is very much like a gatorade drink, etc - without the high fructose & corn syrup solids, etc, that can be very helpful. It is scientifically based sound nutrition from a company called Reliv. Do a search for Reliv on the net & you can read all about it. It is a sad fact that many people try to consume correct nutrition, but it is not bio-available, and then not useful as fuel & nutritional support. Cellfood is another great product. I use their drops and the spray multivitamin. Cellfood can help your body oxygenate itself uniquely.
(I don't sell these products; just a happy consumer)
jill/sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby GinaT on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:56 am

Also, I should have told you that I found out that my anxiety was also related to a wheat intolorence. I found this out by going to a Tibetan doctor in California. Do you think it could be diet related? I would think not if it only happens on the table.
GinaT

Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)