Feeling nauseous while giving massage...

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

Feeling nauseous while giving massage...

Postby astraea54 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:17 am

Hello All! I tried to search but couldn't really find an answer on this and I'm not sure if this should go here or in the energy work forum... But here goes....

I'm coming up on the end of my first term in mt school. I love love love it!! When I first started, when I worked on people who were really stressed out, I would become drenched in sweat. I am Reiki I attuned, so I took it as just all the energy coming through me. My hands are very hot (everyone asks if I'm using warming lotion and I'm not) so I know I am doing some kind of energy work during the massage.

There is a change with the massages I've been giving lately. I get absolutely sick to my stomach, to the point where I wonder if I should stop to go and vomit. I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on that.. I've been pretty depressed lately (beginning of my SAD) and I have been really stressed out so I'm not taking care of myself as well as I should be. Could it be that? Could it be I'm just not grounding enough? Could it be some funky energy thing?

I'm getting a little freaked out about this. I love giving massage, but I don't want to be barfing all over the place while doing it...

Thanks!! :)
Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come *~DMB~*
astraea54
Fresh Hands

Postby mush on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:52 am

i'm not a reiki practitioner, but it sounds to me like you're allowing your clients energy to come into you. i've always held that, on an energetic level, we are there to 'intend' their healing through the physcial hands-on.
the client 'heals' themselves.

cheers to a fellow pig/ant/nancy :D

don't burn the day... away
Last edited by mush on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005
mush
Registered Member

nausea and Reiki

Postby spacevixen on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:07 pm

Hey! i am also Reiki I attuned but I never did get the nausea feeling as you do. but i did feel kind of depressed and had a feeling like I wanted to cry. but my Reiki instructor had told me that was normal and would have sort of weird reactions to the Reiki attunments for about 3 weeks and then they should subside. sound to me that could be whats happening. I know when i give massage my hands get warm and i feel drained from sharing energy with my clients. so its part massage and reiki for my clients, but thats a plus :) hopefully thats all it is for you and after awhile maybe those nausea feelings will go away and you can enjoy the massage and reiki in a session as i do :) best wishes!
spacevixen
Fresh Hands

Postby nybor7 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:15 pm

Oh boy, been there.
Learn to set your intention for your session beforehand. This month in eith my AMTA massage magazine or MassageMag itself was a wonderful article about this tranference during a session.
I'll look it up and be more specific on the source for you.

Also, Most everyone I knew as students including myself didn't realize how truly physical our work is. I was and am on the chubby side so I thought it was just me..nope. It was the skinny minis too.

Make sure you have eaten a light meal not too long before you massage and keep hydrated.

Robyn

I'll look for the article.
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

Postby ib1gypsy on Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:56 am

Our clinic manager's explanation for the overheating was a little too much help from the angels around the clinic... or more energy coming in than you can pass along. Her suggestion was to ask them to back off a little. (No, I'm not kidding.) Some of the instructors claim it is not being grounded.

The nausea they all claimed was not being grounded and taking on your client's junk which ranged from nausea to actual symptoms the client had or a mood. There were a few people you tried to avoid working with in class altogether, especially when it was time for them to work on you, because they never seemed to be grounded and you could almost count on a headache if not something worse until you learned to protect yourself. (A bit more challenging to avoid their junk when you're in receiving mode.) There were a lot of sick people in the energy module. There are an unfathomable number of ways to go about grounding yourself from elaborate to simple which is why I didn't post a URL on it, you can just do a search on "grounding energy" and find something that appeals to you.
ib1gypsy
Fresh Hands

Postby maestra on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:36 am

I have never had reiki or energy work per se, but have been told by a tui na practitioner that I move the energy around a lot during a session. (Just naturally I guess. *shrug*) My hands heat up a lot and people think I'm using a warmed lotion or hot stones too.
Personally, it really bothers me a lot if I work on people who smoke heavily. I have had headaches and I definitely feel the need to run off and take a shower the minute their massage is over. Sometimes going outside for a few breaths of fresh air helps too...
And I've heard of other MTs who seemed to get sick when working on clients who were on a lot of meds.
My point? You could be reacting to toxins which have built up in the clients tissues, as well.
Have you considered documenting when you do get sick... just to see if there's a pattern? Perhaps keeping a food diary to make sure that you're getting enough food and water to keep yourself going during the massage sessions and long days of "clinic"?
Doing a massage can take a lot out of a person. Just remember to put it back in!
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby nybor7 on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:31 pm

The article is in this months Massage Magazine. Nov/Dec. It is titled: The Goft of Presence. It is part one of a series.
I checked the website and last quarters articles are there(some of them), not this one.
I do recommend it highly.
If you cannot get a copy try B&N or other bookchains like that.

Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

Postby astraea54 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:51 am

Wow - thank you all for such great advice!!

When I'm doing Reiki I do seem to hone in on where the person is holding a lot of their pain. I can always tell because I just start crying for no reason. When I ask about it, they always have felt something there - whether it was extra heat or vibration or whatever.

I think the journal and food diary is a great idea! I will definately have to do that. We have our logs that we have to write up after each session, but it feels repetitive and I don't think it's the best self-evaluation tool for me. But the journal for myself sounds like a good idea..

I also have to agree that this is sooo much more physical than I ever would have imagined. I, too, am on the chunky side. Most times when I give massage I feel a weird combination of energized and relaxed afterwards. That's when I am really grounded and present. When I'm not, I just feel tired and beat up. So it's also a good idea to search on groundedness, that was my problem with the very last massage I did.

Thanks again for such great advice!! I can tell this site will become a useful resource, not only through school, but after as well.

You guys rock! :)
Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come *~DMB~*
astraea54
Fresh Hands

Return to Student Forum