LMP, CMT, or LMt?

Help each other prosper! Share ideas, concerns and frustrations of developing your business. Share those creative marketing ideas that work! (SOAP charting, rate increases, outcalls, taxes, etc.)

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

LMP, CMT, or LMt?

Postby Geki Jyusouheki on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 am

What is the difference between the three of these?

As far as I know, a CMT has 600+ hours of massage school and an additional 60 credits of college classes, plus national certification; an LMP has 600+ hours of massage school plus national certification without reaching 60 college credits, and an LMT is the same description of an LMP.

Is this correct?
Geki Jyusouheki
Fresh Hands

Re: LMP, CMT, or LMt?

Postby akashafive on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:34 pm

It depends completely on where you are located. Every state will be different and many places within a state may have their own titles and regulations. Where are you?
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
akashafive
Registered Member

Postby Geki Jyusouheki on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 pm

I live in Maryland.
Geki Jyusouheki
Fresh Hands

Postby Pete on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Geki Jyusouheki wrote:What is the difference between the three of these?

As far as I know, a CMT has 600+ hours of massage school and an additional 60 credits of college classes, plus national certification; an LMP has 600+ hours of massage school plus national certification without reaching 60 college credits, and an LMT is the same description of an LMP.

Is this correct?

LMP = Licensed Massage Practitioner
CMT = Certified Massage Therapist
LMT = Licensed Massage Therapist

There is no uniform criteria for the use of any particular designation - it is determined by the regulating authority under whose jurisdiction you fall.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Geki Jyusouheki wrote:...an LMP has 600+ hours of massage school plus national certification without reaching 60 college credits, and an LMT is the same description of an LMP.

Agreed with the others. It is a state designation more than anything else.

In Texas, for example... a few years ago we were called RMT (Registered Massage Therapist).

Now we are LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist). I have well over 60 college credits, and less than 500 hours of formal "massage school training" for my initial certification. When I went to massage school it was still a 300 hour program. I do not have the National Certification.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Geki Jyusouheki on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:38 am

So does it not matter which of these titles I claim? I am actually searching for employment in Virginia, and an application asked me which of these titles I held. All three of them were listed, and this is what confused me.
Geki Jyusouheki
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 am

I believe (though it is through cursory searching) that the title of a massage therapist in Virginia is a CMT. You should call the Virginia Massage Board and ask what title is used in their state by massage therapists, or if they give you a choice, I would consider using the title the state you were working in previously suggested, if you don't know which one to pick.

In the end, call the state board. They should know exactly what you need to call yourself under the rules and regs of that state.

May I ask where you graduated from (state) and where you practiced previously? Maybe that will help us out a little.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Geki Jyusouheki on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:10 am

My school was in Virginia, but I have not yet begun work as a massage therapist.
Geki Jyusouheki
Fresh Hands

Postby Lanna on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:03 am

This is what I was told in massage school..

CMT
Certified by a massage school for completion of a massage program
National Certification is not the same as being licensed.

LMT or LMP
Licensed by the state. Each state will have their own requirements which may or may not include college credits. Each state will have their own title; be it LMP or LMT.

Before PA had licensing, massage therapists couldn't claim to be licensed. They could claim to be certified upon completion of a massage therapy program or nationally certified through NCBTMB.
Lanna
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 am

From what I can gather by looking at the paperwork you have to provide for your credentials, you will fill out an:

"APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATION
MASSAGE THERAPIST

...the education program and receipt of the results of the candidate’s first certifying examination.
During the 90 days of provisional certification, the designation of “massage therapist” or “certified massage therapist” may not be used."

And from: http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/nursing/nur ... tm#massage
However, 18VAC90-50-10 in the regulations governing the certification of Massage Therapists in the Commonwealth of Virginia requires that only someone who has been certified by the Board of Nursing as a Massage Therapist may use any designation tending to imply that he/she is a “massage therapist” or “certified massage therapist”.

It appears that you should be able to choose whichever title you are more comfortable with.

I would highly suggest contacting them at the number on the top of the certification paperwork. On the paperwork I located, it is listed as:

COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
Department of Health Professions - Board of Nursing
Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, VA 23233-1463

(804) 367-4515 – PHONE (804) 527-4455 – FAX
web: http://www.dhp.virginia.gov email: nursebd@dhp.virginia.gov

When you do get a definite answer, please add it here or even create a specific thread in County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics, so that someone else won't have to wonder in the future. :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby BJB-LMP on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:50 am

For what it's worth - LMP is a designation used only by Washington state at this time; no other state uses it. So that's one you don't have to worry about :lol:
-Beccy
BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Postby Bodytemple on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:26 am

In North Carolina our title is LMBT (Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist)
Bodytemple
Registered Member

Postby bodyworkmentor on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Geki Jyusouheki wrote:So does it not matter which of these titles I claim? I am actually searching for employment in Virginia, and an application asked me which of these titles I held. All three of them were listed, and this is what confused me.

I know that here in California it is against the law to use CMT (Certified Massage Therapist) unless you are a state certified therapist. I don’t even think you can use LMT. It’s a fairly recent law, so I’m not sure. All I know is that I’m certified so I can use the designation. You might want to contact the state or even your city to find out about designations, especially if you’re not sure.
The Bodywork Mentor
Learn. Do. Teach. Mentor.
http://www.bodyworkmentor.com
bodyworkmentor
Fresh Hands

Re: LMP, CMT, or LMT?

Postby Rozax on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:07 pm

I know a Canadian who is a CMP.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby athletica on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:25 pm

What is the average amount of hours required to be registered/certified/licensed in the US?
athletica
Registered Member

Postby katamay on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:33 pm

What is the average amount of hours required to be registered/certified/licensed in the US?

Between 500 and 1000, depending on the state.

Kat
On my way ... LMT or Bust! http://lmtorbust.com
katamay
Registered Member

Postby athletica on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:04 pm

The school I went to was 2200hrs. The drawback was there were plenty of terrible courses! I would of much rater spent that money on continuing educations courses of my choice.
athletica
Registered Member

Return to Business Issues & Marketing Discussion