Cheapest liability insurance?

Help each other prosper! Share ideas, concerns and frustrations of developing your business. Share those creative marketing ideas that work! (SOAP charting, rate increases, outcalls, taxes, etc.)

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Cheapest liability insurance?

Postby EgoMagickian on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm wondering what the current cheapest liability insurance is.

Where do you get yours and how much did it cost?

Who has an amazing deal the rest of us have never heard of?

Tell me... :D
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: Cheapest liability insurance?

Postby Timedess on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:40 am

Well, I'm not looking for "Cheapest" if it's not going to provide the coverage we desire. We have always been with ABMP; I was pleased to find out two things a couple of years ago: 1) They DO cover Hubby's equine massage, in the regular policy (so no tweaks or increase to the premium), and 2) They offer a $70 spousal discount when both spouses are covered by them. So when I renew my policy (comes up first in the year), it's the regular $199; when I renew Hubby's, it's $129, for a total of $328 / 2 = average of $164 each.
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby Taoist on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:44 am

Timedess wrote:Well, I'm not looking for "Cheapest" if it's not going to provide the coverage we desire.

Same here (although I am with AMTA). The higher rates are worth the benefits to me, but they might not be to you.

American Massage Council charges $99/year for basic coverage with options for premises liability and additional insured which are extra. That's the cheapest insurance I am aware of.
Last edited by Taoist on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby Taoist on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:53 am

Ah, after doing some searching, I found a few groups that are slightly cheaper:

NAMASTA (North American Studio Association) is $95/yr

NAMT (National Association of Massage Therapists) is $140 for your first year and $90/yr for every year after
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby Timedess on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 am

I haven't heard of the groups Taoist mentioned in the last post. I am making an assumption that Josh isn't searching this out for himself, but it is something related to the poll he posted a while back-- he's doing research for others/some project, I think (I may be wrong).

I do also wish to point out that with ABMP and AMTA, the "fee" is not just for insurance. It is also for membership in a national massage/bodyworker's organization. We get far more than simply liability insurance for the money we spend. We get representation to local/state/federal government (whichever ones deal with mt-related stuff; I realize it is mostly "state" at the moment but the way things are headed, I wouldn't be surprised to see ABMP/AMTA in Washington DC before too long). We get marketing and business ideas and tools. We get conferences. We get the chance to hook up with other therapists (in whatever capacity that comes-- I haven't explored any of that yet). So, it's more than just liability insurance. It's SUPPORT, in an industry that is often lonely and mis-understood.
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:04 am

Timedess wrote:I haven't heard of the groups Taoist mentioned in the last post. I am making an assumption that Josh isn't searching this out for himself, but it is something related to the poll he posted a while back-- he's doing research for others/some project, I think (I may be wrong).

I do also wish to point out that with ABMP and AMTA, the "fee" is not just for insurance. It is also for membership in a national massage/bodyworker's organization. We get far more than simply liability insurance for the money we spend. We get representation to local/state/federal government (whichever ones deal with mt-related stuff; I realize it is mostly "state" at the moment but the way things are headed, I wouldn't be surprised to see ABMP/AMTA in Washington DC before too long). We get marketing and business ideas and tools. We get conferences. We get the chance to hook up with other therapists (in whatever capacity that comes-- I haven't explored any of that yet). So, it's more than just liability insurance. It's SUPPORT, in an industry that is often lonely and mis-understood.

It is for myself actually. Or more specifically, for my landlord.

Interestingly, some of the exact things you see as benefits of ABMP/AMTA I see as drawbacks. It's precisely because of their political involvement that I am loathe to give money to those organizations. As I have many disagreements with them, I would not ever want them or anybody else to get the mistaken impression that they somehow represent me; they do not.

In any case, here's what I've come up with:

Code: Select all
Org       Cost     Coverage   Notes
NAMT      $150     $1k/$3k    $90/yr after
AMC       $159     $1k/$3k     
MMIP      $169     $2k/$3k     
HOTA      $175     $2k/$3k     
ABMP      $199         
Namasta   $200     $1k/$2k     
AMTA      $235+         

• These prices all reflect the cost of one additional insured.
• Namasta charges a membership fee, then an additional fee for the insurance if desired. Total is the price listed.

Looks like NAMT will be the cheapest even with their upfront enrollment fee, and much cheaper over the long term, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Timedess on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:52 pm

I hear what you're saying about the political stuff, Josh. I'm not "ejamakated" enough at *this stage of my life* to legitimately formulate the same opinions as you express, so shall remain where I am until I can honestly express *for myself* the same or similar opinions, or others equally legitimately-formulated. If that made any sense, LOL.

I am glad you've found what you're looking for. BWOL sure can be handy, can't it? <grin>
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby Rozax on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:03 pm

Josh, I'm interested in the political aspects of AMTA with which you do not agree. I haven't looked into it, so if you wouldn't mind PMing me or posting the main points here, I'd love the assistance with some research. I'll be purchasing liability insurance, soon, so I'm all ears! :)
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby softy515 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Josh, I went with a new company for insurance this year too. I was an AMTA member for 10 years??? I have had enough of them and to be honest was bored to death of their magazine too. The local chapter sucked. All they are concerned about was licensing and I opposed it out right. Yes, I even wrote to local policians about it but my single voice didn't matter. So now licensing is in effect and even though I have countless CEU hours in, I have to continue taking classes I can't afford right now plus pay out the extra fees.

The AMTA isn't high on my list right now. MT's will see long term just what their agenda is and it won't benefit us.
softy515
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 pm

NAMASTA (North American Studio Association) is $95/yr

I use to be with NAMASTA and that $95 a year is just to be a member, that doesn't include insurance. To add insurance it is about $160.

Hands On Trade is about $150

Massage Magazine is also $150
JLWmassage

Postby pueppi on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 am

Josh, I like the little graph you made. :)
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Rozax wrote:Josh, I'm interested in the political aspects of AMTA with which you do not agree. I haven't looked into it, so if you wouldn't mind PMing me or posting the main points here, I'd love the assistance with some research. I'll be purchasing liability insurance, soon, so I'm all ears! :)

Basically, what softy said... I don't agree with a 500-hour minimum for entry level massage work, nor with pushing states to adopt the NCE as a requirement or option for licensure. I think in some ways we have the same needs we're trying to meet and just disagree on strategies to meet them, and in other ways a cynical part of me views the massage organizations as mostly self-serving.

I'd be more impressed with the AMTA if they pushed for legalization of sex work or something else actually helpful instead of mainly looking like the NCBTMB's lackeys. Don't get me started on the latter, great scam they've got going on.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Rozax on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:13 pm

softy515 wrote:Josh, I went with a new company for insurance this year too. I was an AMTA member for 10 years??? I have had enough of them and to be honest was bored to death of their magazine too. The local chapter sucked. All they are concerned about was licensing and I opposed it out right. Yes, I even wrote to local policians about it but my single voice didn't matter. So now licensing is in effect and even though I have countless CEU hours in, I have to continue taking classes I can't afford right now plus pay out the extra fees.

The AMTA isn't high on my list right now. MT's will see long term just what their agenda is and it won't benefit us.

Which insurance company are you with, now?

EgoMagickian wrote:I'd be more impressed with the AMTA if they pushed for legalization of sex work or something else actually helpful instead of mainly looking like the NCBTMB's lackeys. Don't get me started on the latter, great scam they've got going on.

Did you take that test? What did you think of it? If we're allowed to discuss it, anyway. I felt it was kinda random and didn't put a whole lot of my working knowledge to the test. There seemed to be more need for memorization to pass - not that I want to encourage them to make a brand new test for us to take. There's already a shiny new advanced exam in the works. :undecided:
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Without the prior work done by the AMTA, most of the other organizations associated with our profession would not exist. Neither would most of the massage schools and educational resources now available to us. The AMTA was the first to push for massage-specific professional liability insurance, afforable legal assistance, and was the first organization to establish professional networking and marketing support to massage therapists.

For these and many other reasons, I continue to support the AMTA and have chosen to be an active member. Being involved has opened the doors of many professional opportunities, enriched my knowledge and skills, and introduced me to many new friends and wonderful colleagues.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby pueppi on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:32 am

Rozax wrote:
EgoMagickian wrote:I'd be more impressed with the AMTA if they pushed for legalization of sex work or something else actually helpful instead of mainly looking like the NCBTMB's lackeys. Don't get me started on the latter, great scam they've got going on.

Did you take that test? What did you think of it? If we're allowed to discuss it, anyway. I felt it was kinda random and didn't put a whole lot of my working knowledge to the test. There seemed to be more need for memorization to pass - not that I want to encourage them to make a brand new test for us to take. There's already a shiny new advanced exam in the works. :undecided:

FWIW, I see the National Exams as a money maker and not for the good of the profession.

The AMTA is not high on my list either (prior work is nice, but it's still prior work). I am sure there are things they have done that are helpful for the profession, but just because they have done good things, doesn't mean any of us have to gather round the campfire and support them whole-heartedly. I think much of the licensure requirements are beginning to get out of hand. Just because someone doesn't have 1200 hours, doesn't mean they are incompetent. And, you shouldn't have to take another National Test to proove your an advanced practitioner, or continue to pay for that certificate year after year once you've ended up getting that piece of paper. --- but, I'm getting on my soap-box now.

Politics are part of the profession, but organizations like the AMTA are a bit too political for me. It's always going to be about what the current agenda is of the people who are in high places within the organization. And, generally there is a good-old-boy system that puts those people into place.

I've opened my own doors for professional opportunities, enriched my own knowledge and skills, and have used my own sources to locate friends and wonderful colleagues. I don't need the AMTA for any of those. Although, if they've helped others find their way, then there's nothing wrong with that. But, I don't think being part of political entity is necessary for these things to occur.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks for the post pueppi... makes me feel less alone :-)

No, I never took the national test... and would do everything I could to avoid it. Again, the word that I equate it with is "scam".
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby BWI Program on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:05 am

It looks like no one has added to this discussion for awhile, but there are a lot of new options available now for liability insurance for massage therapists. I work for a company called the Bodywork Insurance Program and we are strictly an insurance provider. The main benefit to this is the fact that our rates are a lot more reasonable for MTs. Professionals pay just $99 per year and students pay only $67 per year. Visit our website for more information.

http://www.insurebodywork.com/
The Bodywork Insurance Program - BWI Program/ My name is Valerie. Feel free to ask me any questions!
Our Website: http://www.insurebodywork.com
About Us Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLc0U3rruDk&feature=plcp
BWI Program
Fresh Hands

Return to Business Issues & Marketing Discussion