Ohio - legal/licensing question

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Ohio - legal/licensing question

Postby Maitri on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 am

I seem to be in a bit of a gray area and need help figuring this out.

I am sitting for the state boards on June 15. I am scheduled to begin a massage position on June 22. We were told in school that it was okay to go out and look for a job before we had the license as long as we provided relaxation only. After searching this site a bit, that doesn't seem to be 100% accurate but I am still really confused. Can someone explain if this is okay or not? I know there are others in my graduating class in the same position, and I can't believe that all these places would hire people and that they would all be screwed for it...but I don't want the state board to come after me because I started a job one measly month before getting my results. I know you have to explain situations like this when you send in the exam application, but do they check you out all over again AFTER you've actually taken the exam?

After thinking about it, I'm guessing the smartest thing to do would be to just wait the extra month and save myself the trouble. Especially since if, God forbid, I have to retake the exam - I would have to put on the application that I have performed massage for compensation without a license, right?

Help?
Maitri
Fresh Hands

Re: Ohio - legal/licensing question

Postby Timedess on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Personally, I'd be calling the state board to ask these questions directly of them. I know that in our state, we may not perform massage for compensation until we've been approved for licensure: meaning, passed the test and sent in all materials, AND found that our information has been posted on the state's web site. Once the info's up on the state web site, the hard copies are in the mail, so we may print out the info from the state's web site and go to work. Anyone found working for compensation without state paperwork in order is in trouble. I'm with you; one month is NOT worth getting off on the wrong foot. I'd be explaining to the potential new employer(s) that you haven't yet received your paperwork from the state and that you aren't comfortable working until you do receive them. *Personally*, if a potential employer wasn't willing to wait a couple of weeks until I got your paperwork, I'd be nervous of what else illegal they might ask me to do. Good luck on the test!
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 pm

You may want to read this thread regarding relaxation massage in Ohio: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15651

Hopefully this will help you to better understand the laws regulating massage. You might also call your massage school and ask them for clarification. They should be up-to-date on any and all rules regarding massage in your state.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby Maitri on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Thank you both. Moogie, I did read that thread, but I think I ended up more confused than before...between that, a few other threads I found, and what we were told in school, I seem to have come across a few different ideas:

1. It is legal for anyone to perform relaxation massage as long as they do not call themselves a "therapist" or claim to treat disorders.
2. It it legal for anyone to perform relaxation massage only if they do not accept compensation.
3. If you can find a job before you're licensed, so much the better.
4. It's a terrible idea for anyone who is planning to become licensed to accept money for massage before they are licensed.

I know there are others in my class who have already accepted jobs, and people from classes before me who began straight out of school and did not have any problems getting licensed. But someone was saying in another thread that they graduated with a few people who did that and it was disastrous.

Anyway, I did email the state board and am hoping for a quick response.
Maitri
Fresh Hands

Postby Maitri on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:39 am

I received a short and sweet response this morning, saying only that if I do relaxation massage I have to be careful not to apply any therapy techniques I learned.
Maitri
Fresh Hands

Postby LMTyogini on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:28 am

I would see if maybe you could accept the job and only perform receptionist duties prior to recieving your results. With so much 'grey' in the guidelines, thats really the only safest way. Maybe it would be alright, but you definetly don't want to be one of the cases where it is not. Let me just tell you that I took my boards last June and our results were delayed an entire month. Lots of upset people because they had to tell the people that hired them expecting them to be able to start in July that they had to wait a whole additional month. Not to mention that if you do not pass the first round that you cannot retest for 6 months. For this reason I chose not to have a job lined up to avoid possibly irritating a potential employer and 'jinxing' myself (paranoid, I know ;)

Technically estheticians can perform 'relaxation massages', which is one reason I think its such a grey area. The key word is using 'therapist' in your title, you cannot introduce yourself as a massage therapist w/o a license. Theres one school that puts out 'certified massage practitioners' near me. Personally, I have no idea what would happen if you practiced this way for a while, then decide to get your license. You would have to answer 'yes' to the question asking if you received compensation for performing massage.

Let us know how it goes for you and good luck on your boards!
LMTyogini
Registered Member

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas