Muscle Tension Dysphonia

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Muscle Tension Dysphonia

Postby palpable on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:59 am

Anyone have any experience with this? I don't have a lot of background yet, as I have not seen this client- first visit is tomorrow. But any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute
palpable
Registered Member

Re: Muscle Tension Dysphonia

Postby Jenn@AttunedMotion on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Sorry this answer is so late.. How did you session go? I haven't had any particular experience with this condition, but from what I gleaned online it seems like you would want to do neck and intercostal / diaphragmatic work to allow deeper breathing.

http://homepage.mac.com/changcy/mtd.htm
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields
Jenn@AttunedMotion
Registered Member

Postby swingingdelirium on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 am

I would think that you could spend an hour working into his/her neck and upper shoulders, since the key would be really slow work, to get deep without causing any sense of nervousness or fear with the client.
The only time I have worked with someone with MTD I had them start face down, and I worked on the longissumus Capitus and cervicus muscles, then the levator scap. It took 20 minutes to work deeply without causing pain, but the deeper tissues that work with the neck need to be treated too. Then I worked the anterier neck, starting with the SCM, then scalenes. It's also vitally important to access the Longis Colli, if you can get to it. It may take several sessions depending on the person.
I'm sorry I didn't answer this when you posted it! I hope you see your client again and good luck! :)
~Thank you~
swingingdelirium
Registered Member

Postby palpable on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks for the replies. :)

I did try to do some research before seeing this person (actually before scheduling them, as I had not come across this before). Apparently it is somewhat rare and often from unknown causes, though stress seems to be one of the frequent contributing factors- go figure.

Since most of the work I usually do is myofascial, I pretty much stuck to that. Probably about the first 40 minutes of the 60 were on the neck, and I tried to cover a lot of ground in that area: Posterior- traps, splenius, suboccs., paraspinals, lev. scap., etc. Anteriorly- infra and supra hyoids (gentle fascial work in both cases) and was able to get into the longus a LITTLE bit, but didn't want to push it too much- I could only get ever so slightly up onto the anterior spine.

Last 20 or so minutes were more general/moderately deep back.

Checked in with client two days later, and unfortunately, they did not feel much difference. I could definitely tell there was a lot of softening, but there is a long way to go. They are coming in again, and I imagine spending a little more time trying to loosen up the LB and UB, but still a good chunk on the NK. I am really hoping that they are able to experience some benefit before too much frustration sets in. I know and they know that it can take time, but even though one can know that in the head, it is sometimes difficult to realize that in the heart.

So I am still open to thoughts and suggestions as to what might be worth trying for this person.

Thanks again.
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute
palpable
Registered Member

Return to Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure