Deep Tissue-Full Body Sequence Please!!

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Deep Tissue-Full Body Sequence Please!!

Postby windspirit on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:09 am

Hi All!!

I could use some help please, I am very new to Massage Therapy, graduated on Dec. 15th 2007 and I took my test in April and got my License in May of this year. So, as you can see I have not had much hands on experience.
Now getting to my question...I would like to know how you all do a full body massage for a client that wants deep tissue. It seems I am always running behind and find myself almost having to rush to stay within the hour. In school we just worked specific body areas, not doing a full session. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'm doing Deep Tissue correctly. We were taught to just go deeper and slower, so, when I go slower I get behind. I would just like someone to explain to me how to do this correctly and if you can tell me your routines/sequence that would be wonderful. Thank you so much, I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Have a great day!!
Ruthann
windspirit
Fresh Hands

Postby shivashiva on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:11 am

When someone requests a deep tissue full body in one hour I flat out tell them it is not possible. I ask where their problem areas are that they really want deep work (usually back/neck but not always) and I tell them I can do deep tissue work on those areas and medium to deep swedish on the other areas.

Alternately you can do deep tissue on the other areas briefly. Even though you are going slowly, you can just do less detailed and specific work than you normally do. Just go over an area once, rather than really working it out they way you think you need to.

I know I'm not giving a sequence, but I don't think there really is one. Deep tissue by it's nature is different for each person. I find that new therapists usually think they need to, or want to work out all areas very thoroughly (which is a great intention!) but is not always possible for a full body in one hour. Try letting go of the need to do the work you think you need to do, and instead do what is useful and possible for each particular client in their one hour. A few questions at the beginning of the session asking the client what their problem areas are makes them feel taken care of and allows you to design a specific session for them.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby cabwy on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:29 pm

I agree with Shiva. Very good suggestions.
Maybe you should schedule yourself with a MT for a deep tissue massage. You can see what you like (and don't like) and maybe get a sense of how you want to work your own timing?
I remember initially having these very same worries. Soon it will be second nature for you.
Carol
cabwy
Registered Member

It just takes practice

Postby thebodyworker on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:20 pm

I do one hour deep tissue sessions all the time and do most of the body and even full body depending on the issues but I have been doing it for many years (20)

It just takes practice. Don't go so deep that you have to go that slow unless you are working on a specific painful area.

Julie
thebodyworker
Registered Member

Postby Trae on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:30 am

In school we learned a full-body deep tissue sequence, which took 90 minutes. I rarely get anyone at my job that needs EVERYTHING done. Like Shiva, I'll do the deep tissue on the problem areas and deep swedish on others. I find it hard to touch on everything in an hour even with just Swedish because just about everyone has an area that needs extra attention that takes up time.
Trae
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:51 am

I personally gave up on doing 1 hour sessions years ago. Nearly all my clients opt for my 90 minute sessions & some go for a 2 hour. Both of these routinely include the energy
work I specialize in - Jin Shin Jyutsu & most often Hot Stone too.

For those who simply don't have the time or interest in the
longer sessions, my shortest session is 1 hour & 15 min.,
which is usually straight massage, incorporating Swedish & Deep Tissue, along with some reflexology. Many practitioners charge different rates for a basic Swedish vs
Deep Tissue work. For the future, other effective suggested techniques to add to your bag of tricks for those folks needing more intensive therapy: Structural Integration or Active Isolated Stretching are both great options to consider.

When I first started out I generally gave each area approx. 20 minutes each.

Starting supine: Being as so many people have major tension in the neck, arms & shoulders/upper thoracics. I would work that area first - clearing everything out there. Then I move to the feet & legs - giving more attention here especially for those who are really active/runners - athletes/etc.

Next I'd have the client flip over into the prone position & work the back & the hips, as well as some strokes aimed at connecting the neck & shoulder regions into the back.

A great deal of your timing will depend on where you work, and the time your appts. are scheduled for. If you're on your own it leaves things open to however you choose to work. The more practice - trades or otherwise - you have the better, to get your timing down. If you know in advance the areas really needing attention you can vary how much time you spend elsewhere & keep an eye on the clock. The more you do it, the better you'll be at the basic routine & the easier it will get to add or subtract from whatever you do during the course of a session.

Good luck!
Last edited by riversinger on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby windspirit on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:57 pm

Thank you everyone for your iresponses, it's been a great help!!
windspirit
Fresh Hands

Postby windspirit on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm

:oops: I meant Responses, thank you!!
windspirit
Fresh Hands

Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)