child/no sense of smell

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

makingachange
Registered Member

child/no sense of smell

Post by makingachange » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:20 pm

calling all holistic therapists:

my child has no sense of smell. not sure that he ever has. he's an INCREDIBLY finicky eater, everything tastes the same. he can't smell a jar of peanut butter, he couldn't smell the smoke the day of the fire, he can't smell a bag of bait fish on the pier. nada.

we've tried the allergy route, no help. this coming monday, he has a contrast MRI scheduled. mostly to see if anything is there. it's a possibility that some bad infection burned out the nerves going into the top of the nose. head trauma could do it too, but neither of those fit this child's past.

he's 8, weighs 47 pounds and is hyperactive.

i currently have him on a great multivitamin, zinc supplement and probiotics.

what techniques/modalities might help and what, if any, thoughts do you have?

thanks a million - i'm posting this as a concerned mom
amanda
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

softy515
Registered Member

Post by softy515 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Does he have allergies then? sinus related issues?

Since he is so young, what about his birth experience? Maybe some cranial can clear something up.

What is his diet like? Since he is so picky, does he fill the need with sugar, dairy???

JaeMarie

Post by JaeMarie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:35 pm

I don't have any advice to offer (sorry :( ) but I just wanted to mention that my dad never had a sense of smell. For the most part he never could really describe the taste of any foods (aside from salty or spicy for the most part) but still managed to enjoy eating a good meal well enough. :)

cabwy
Registered Member

Post by cabwy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Have you tried any CST? That would personally be my first choice of modalities. Especially since he is young and CST is so gentle and sooo effective. Plus it might help him with the hyperactivity.

Good luck and best wishes for your little man......
Carol

mtnlionz
Registered Member

Post by mtnlionz » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Amanda, do you have a classical homeopath near where you live? In doing a quick search on my homeopathy software, 106 remedies are indicated for complete loss of smell, 11 of which are strongly indicated. There's a good chance homeopathy can help. If you need a referral, let me know. I also think craniosacral work is a great step.

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:15 am

I am going to second the suggestion of CST - I think that will be the best bet.

BTW - my son has Sensory Integration Dysfunction. Mostly he is hypersensitive. He has had to overcome a lot of issues around smell, taste and texture for eating. He still can't eat much of anything. The professionals aren't too supportive - or at least weren't when my son was growing up. Many more OT's are familiar with SI problems than in the past. CST is used for this too.

My best advice is to be your child's best advocate. Trust your own instincts over the "professionals" and try to work with who HE is - not who you are told he "should" be.

makingachange
Registered Member

Post by makingachange » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 am

wow - you guys totally rock!

thank you for all of the supportive replies!

he doesn't have allergies or sinus-related issues.

neither of my children's birth experiences were great. but his was better than hers and he recovered more quickly than i did - emergency c-x after about 4 months of continual hard contractions.

diet: chicken, white cheese, milk, bread. bananas, apples, watermelon. yes, lots of dairy, but that's where he gets most of his protein. but not much sugar - he'll even tell you: "sorry, that has too much sugar in it and it makes me feel weird."

i was wondering about CST - and thinking that might help. i'm in touch with a local therapist here to get an appointment asap. that was my first instinct, but not having any experience with CST i wasn't sure. glad to know that instinct was right!

no, we don't have a classical homeopath. the one that claims he is ... is not. that's a story for another day. that sounds awesome though. i'll pm you with location to see if there's one i don't know about!

re: best advocate. i am doing that and there can be SUCH struggle with that! no one seems to believe that he just can't smell - they think it's for attention. i assure you, it's not. so i'm just going ahead with my gut and we'll see what we can do. maybe nothing - but i hope we can.

the next step is the MRI, then testing of the nerves with a neurologist. but i would LOVE to try the homeopath route too.

thanks again guys!
amanda

jasond
Registered Member

Post by jasond » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:30 am

I'm with the above posters. Perhaps some cranial sacral and some polarity work would help. good luck

Jason
Release your Spirit through Bodywork

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:04 am

I think I would lean towards the CST too (there's a lot of CST in MFR) and I've heard some pretty amazing stories in MFR-I.

Perhaps some intra-oral work would be indicated?

I do think that aromatherapy wise basil and peppermint are recommended for loss of smell.... if that's any help.

You're already doing the zinc, and that's probably the first thing I would have suggested.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

softy515
Registered Member

Post by softy515 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 am

I would work on getting that protein from other sources. Once you get more veggies in there, you can also cut back on all that fruit. At least he isn't into sugar! Not to many kids can say that.

It is great that others agree with the CST! You are going to have to get the best therapist though.

Kids with a traumatic birth seem to have health issues so that will help get to the core.

PLEASE keep us up to date.

PS. nuts can be added into the diet in various ways. Look into raw food preparation!

makingachange
Registered Member

Post by makingachange » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:34 am

cool - and with the referral from chris, maybe i'm going in the right direction. i'll keep you posted!

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:57 pm

makingachange wrote: neither of my children's birth experiences were great. but his was better than hers and he recovered more quickly than i did - emergency c-x after about 4 months of continual hard contractions.
4 months of contractions and an emergency c-section?!?!? I would definitely want to know what was going on with his membrane system. CN-I and CN-IX could be restricted in the membrane system. Decrease/no sense of smell is a direct indication for a frontal lift (the vertical membrane system). And taste issues point me to temporals (horizontal membrane system).

Check out this CST post about Newborns and c-sections. I talk about c-sections approx 16 posts into the thread. It's a very brief look at how c-sections might effect the craniosacral system.

The hyperactive part also makes me wonder about general membrane tension.
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

makingachange
Registered Member

Post by makingachange » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 pm

cstbrian wrote:
makingachange wrote: neither of my children's birth experiences were great. but his was better than hers and he recovered more quickly than i did - emergency c-x after about 4 months of continual hard contractions.
4 months of contractions and an emergency c-section?!?!? I would definitely want to know what was going on with his membrane system. CN-I and CN-IX could be restricted in the membrane system. Decrease/no sense of smell is a direct indication for a frontal lift (the vertical membrane system). And taste issues point me to temporals (horizontal membrane system).

Check out this CST post about Newborns and c-sections. I talk about c-sections approx 16 posts into the thread. It's a very brief look at how c-sections might effect the craniosacral system.

The hyperactive part also makes me wonder about general membrane tension.
actually that number DOES sound off - i added the weeks up, i went into labor at 26 & he was born @ 35 so that's 9 weeks. sorry for the exaggeration! i will take this info with me to see the CST in town - i'm waiting for her to call me back now. and i will check that topic when i get back from work tonight and can think straight.

thanks!

AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Post by AnastasiaB » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:45 pm

One more thing for you to think about trying is NAET for diagnosis and treatment. Check out the website for Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Therapy.......
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com

makingachange
Registered Member

Post by makingachange » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:03 pm

anastasia - definitely interesting!

we have the appt with the CST next friday at 10 a.m.! not having any experience with CST i don't know how to explain to my son what the session will be like. and unfortunately, i didn't get to talk with her long enough today to ask that question - any ideas?

brian, thanks for the link re: infants & CST. that was amazing!

amanda

riversinger

Post by riversinger » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:57 pm

Amanda,

Definitely keep us updated on your son & his progress.

I'll see if I can come up with anything on the Jin Shin Jyutsu level which would help you address things at home.

In the meantime I would also say get him into a gluten free diet and see if that helps. Also, if you have any sources for
Raw Milk & raw milk cheeses, he would probably do much better on those than on pasturized dairy. In addition make sure he's kept on a clean diet with no artificial ingredients & food coloring as those are often responsible for a great deal of hyperactivity.

Good luck with everything,
Deb/Riversinger
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.

AngEngland
Registered Member

Post by AngEngland » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Awesome! Keep us posted on how the appointment goes.

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:03 am

makingachange wrote:anastasia - definitely interesting!

we have the appt with the CST next friday at 10 a.m.! not having any experience with CST i don't know how to explain to my son what the session will be like. and unfortunately, i didn't get to talk with her long enough today to ask that question - any ideas?

brian, thanks for the link re: infants & CST. that was amazing!

amanda
Has your son had any reiki sessions in the past? If so, you could tell him that it will feel like a reiki session. He'll remain fully clothed and can sit on the table if he's more comfortable that way. You'll be in the room the entire time. It will feel very light and he might not feel anything happening. It will not (should not) feel painful. When the therapist is working on his head, she will be lightly holding different bones. You may feel tired, you may feel very alert, you might even almost feel a bit dizzy. But nothing uncomfortable. She may talk to you and ask you questions about what you are feeling or she may be very quiet 'concentrating' on her work.

I hope this gives you a few things to say. If you have specific questions, please ask. A lot of the session will depend on the level of pediatrics training the therapist has had. The child needs to be met where he/she is comfortable. I've worked with kids on the table, the floor, on my stool, and even in dad's arms. Whatever is best and most comfortable for the child!

Good luck next Friday. Please keep us posted. And again, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

makingachange
Registered Member

Post by makingachange » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:56 pm

follow up:
the incredibly thorough MRI came out beautifully! the eeg was perfect and the neurologist would like to do some genetic testing to rule out anything else. with that chromosome test coming back normal, that will mean that the only reason behind his loss of smell (per the doctors) is a head trauma from when he was 3 (fell and landed on the corner of a brick hearth, injury was to the back of his head).

so, we are thrilled with the results of the testing, and very confidant that CST can help the whole situation! even if it's true about the fall, i know the CST can help that too.

amanda

makingachange
Registered Member

Post by makingachange » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:59 pm

oh, and brian - thanks for your info.

no, he's not had a true reiki session, in that i use reiki with him without it seeming like a regular session, you know? we're at home, he's on the sofa or in bed - but never on a massage table.

i know that tomorrow's (the first) session will be short, and i know that her goal is to build trust and comfort with him. she's also hoping that further down the line, she will be able to work inside of his mouth - now would that be the NMT that i learned during my certification, or is that a CST technique and something different?

thanks again!

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:00 am

makingachange wrote:she's also hoping that further down the line, she will be able to work inside of his mouth - now would that be the NMT that i learned during my certification, or is that a CST technique and something different?

thanks again!

I don't know about much about NMT, but my assumption is that CST mouthwork is VERY different. CST work will focus on the some of the soft tissues in and around the mouth, but primarily checks for healthy and free movement of the bones of the hard palate and face.

The hard palate articulates with the Pterygoid processes of the sphenoid; and the vomer articulates with the rostrum of the sphenoid. Any restriction in these connections creates and imbalance in the natural movement of the sphenoid and can create membranous tension throughout the entire system. (As an example, we often need to work the hard palate to help the body correct scoliosis.)

Your therapist should be able to show you all of this on a plastic skull so you can see all of this and understand how it all relates.

Good luck with the appt today. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Brian

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:04 pm

cstbrian wrote: The hard palate articulates with the Pterygoid processes of the sphenoid; and the vomer articulates with the rostrum of the sphenoid. Any restriction in these connections creates and imbalance in the natural movement of the sphenoid and can create membranous tension throughout the entire system. (As an example, we often need to work the hard palate to help the body correct scoliosis.)
cstbrian,
Can you elaborate more on the hard palate?

I recall JFB saying something during MFR-I about the hard palate and sucking your thumb...

But how does work with the hard palate help correct scoliosis? (Since I have it...)
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:34 am

maestra wrote:cstbrian,
Can you elaborate more on the hard palate?

I recall JFB saying something during MFR-I about the hard palate and sucking your thumb...

But how does work with the hard palate help correct scoliosis? (Since I have it...)
First, I do not mean to imply that if someone comes in with scoliosis it is coming from the hard palate. Our general findings about this came from working with people who have had traditional orthodontia (esp braces).

Any solid appliance or brace that crosses the midline of the hard palate, effects the natural movement of the bones. There is a suture that runs along the midline (anterior-posterior) in the maxilla and between the palatines. Like all the sutures of the cranial bones, there is a natural movement between them. In this case the movement of the hard palate bones is driven mechanically by the movement of the sphenoid. When an appliance, or braces are in place the natural movement of the hard palate at the midline is restricted. This restriction can in turn restrict the natural movement of the sphenoid.

The membrane system has attachments on the sphenoid (specifically the tentorium). One of Dr. Upledger's theories is that the restriction will begin to work it's way through the membrane system from the sphenoid. (This happens in a similar way to someone having an ankle injury and the fascial restriction creating a pelvic imbalance.)

One of the things that can happen is that the membrane tension could put an irregular tension in the dural tube creating a slight twist of the tube. If the body is not able to self correct this, over time the bones of the vertebrae may begin to twist in relation to the dural tube. This may create scoliosis.

So, by supporting the body to correct any imbalance in the hard palate and sphenoid then facilitating release of any twists, turns, or pulls in the membrane system, the body is free to begin realignment of the vertebrae. Other bones and fascia areas would need to be checked as well, depending on how compensated the body has become. But this is addressing the issue from the core.

One theory about the thumb sucking piece (besides the comfort factor) is that the newborn/infant/child is actually trying to decompress his/her vomer from the sphenoid. When the vomer is compressed against the sphenoid it will limit the sphenoid's natural movement. Our theory is that in the body's natural healing ability, it knows to try to suck the vomer down and away from the sphenoid to self-correct. If a newborn has a compressed vomer, he/she may have a difficult time feeding because of a poor latch or poor suck. When the vomer is decompressed, the suck often becomes stronger and more efficient allowing the newborn to take milk easier and with less air.

I believe that children who continue to suck their thumb have a very compressed vomer that has not been able to self correct. I myself sucked my thumb until around age 4 or 5; I have a very high hard palate now because of this (a perfect fit for my thumb). I have had quite a bit of mouthwork and my vomer continues to want attention and be released. Who knows what effect this had on me and my health growing up. How might I have been healthier if my vomer had decompressed early in life?

I hope this gives a little understanding of the importance of mouthwork in CranioSacral Therapy. And I hope I explained it in a way that is easy to understand. I could go much more in depth about the mouth, and the sphenoid and how they work together and effect the rest of the system; but I'll leave it where it is for now.

A teacher gave a great little explanation I use often when talking to clients about mouthwork. I pick up my plastic skull and talk a little about the relationship of the bones to one another and how they move. I then talk about how the cranium is like a puzzle and all the pieces need to fit together and move together properly. Then, I show how the mouth is part of this puzzle and how it fits into the workings of the craniosacral system. If at some point we don't check in with the mouth we are missing a huge part of the system and of the body.
Brian

AngEngland
Registered Member

Post by AngEngland » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:45 am

Recently in a thread on my midwifery/childbirth education/labor doula yahoo group a midwife posted that she's had good success getting a stalled labor to pick back up by instructing the mother to suck her thumb.

Interesting.

/highjack over

Angela <-- full of random bits of knowledge

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:44 am

As a side note, since I am just getting to this thread, I also would lean toward CST as one of my first options. From there a good pediatric chiro (just for a few sessions) and a follow up with a good acupuncturist/herbalist for possibly a lot of sessions --- or maybe if they have something fast and furious in their repetoir, then a few.

I think the CST is one place to begin with head trauma. Without knowing tons about it, it always struck me as the go to modality for something like this.

Just opinions.

Looking forward to hearing how things progress.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)”