Upledger's ShareCare

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

yoginilmt
Fresh Hands

Upledger's ShareCare

Post by yoginilmt » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Has anyone attended the one-day ShareCare workshop? Do you recommend it? Is it sort of an introduction to CST? Thinking about attending.

TIA.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:02 am

I have not attended a ShareCare specifically. But I know all the material and am very close to teaching them.

ShareCare is an eight hour presentation designed for non-bodyworkers to learn about CST and a few techniques they can do at home to help themselves, friends and family members. The class will give the history of osteopathy, cranial osteopathy and craniosacral therapy; a little anatomy and physiology about the craniosacral system (CSS); and how to palpate the craniosacral rhythm on yourself and others.

Then after lunch we teach how to induce stillpoints and the Upledger model of working with energy. We close with a TMJ self-help technique and, of course, Q&A.

It's a nice class in that it is a free look into the work for non-bodyworkers. As a bodyworker it may not give you the depth of information that you are looking for. We don't talk about the fascial system and it's role in CST. We don't talk about how we specifically address the CSS (other than stillpoints) and how this work changes the membrane system. It is a very 'surface' kind of class. But remember it's not really a class - It's really an intro into some self-care techniques that help others to care for others. It's a great concept!

Any other questions, please feel free to ask ...
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

yoginilmt
Fresh Hands

Post by yoginilmt » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for info. Could be that I need something that elementary to begin with.

I am an LMT, just getting interested in CST, but know little to nothing about it. Three course offerings seem much the same: ShareCare, Overview of CST, and Introduction to CST. Can you explain the differences? Of course, the one-day offerings are much more appealing at this point.

In a perfect world, the Upledger courses would be offered in Tallahassee or Jacksonville, FL, which would be most convenient for me, and there are a lot of LMTs in those areas and few educational opportunities like this! As enticing as training in Brazil and Argentina sound, I seriously doubt I'll be able to go there.

TIA!
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Sharecare is for family members of someone who is or has undergone the intensive treatment week at the Upledger Institute. It helps them to feel that they can help.

You want to take either the intro or CST I
Prior to that you may want to pick up Upledgers Cranio Sacral books.
Go to the IAHE web site for course listings...
http://www.iahe.com/controller/CourseInstanceFinder

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:35 am

yoginilmt wrote:I am an LMT, just getting interested in CST, but know little to nothing about it. Three course offerings seem much the same: ShareCare, Overview of CST, and Introduction to CST. Can you explain the differences? Of course, the one-day offerings are much more appealing at this point.
ShareCare and the overview are similar in content but geared toward different audiences. ShareCare is geared toward non-bodyworkers. The overview is more for bodyworkers. It covers the history and concept of CranioSacral Therapy, discusses palpation in relation to CST, teaches what we call the 'listening stations' to evaluate the craniosacral rhythm (CSR), and talks about fascia and our approach to fascial work. Somtimes (depending on time and the presenter) we may cover stillpoints. But again it is a very basic overview.

The Introduction to CST is a two day course that is actually the first two days of the full four day CSTI class. You learn: the history and concepts of CST, palpation, Upledger's take on energy work, evaluating the CSR, the fascia lecture, techniques to release fascial restrictions at what we call the 'diaphragms', stillpoints, how to release the sacrum, and a technique to work the dural tube.

yoginilmt wrote:In a perfect world, the Upledger courses would be offered in Tallahassee or Jacksonville, FL, which would be most convenient for me, and there are a lot of LMTs in those areas and few educational opportunities like this! As enticing as training in Brazil and Argentina sound, I seriously doubt I'll be able to go there.
My guess (and this is a complete guess) is that the classes are not offered there because you are so close to the Institute itself. I know Palm Beach Gardens isn't very close to Tallahassee (about 6 hours away?) or Jacksonville (4 hours?) but it is close than a lot of people who have to travel out of state to take the classes. Plus, the classes are usually given by instructors who work in our clinics and have TONS of experience as well as many of them work with Dr. Upledger himself in the clinics. I have always wanted to take a class down there but just haven't had the chunk of money needed for me to get there yet. (Someday soon I will assist in the clinic.)

My suggestion is to attend whatever presentation is closest to you and just get an idea of what the work might be like and if you resonate with it. Then you can decide if you want to travel for a different class.

Have you received any CST sessions? That's also a great way to see if you would like the work. Another option is to find a more advanced trained therapist in your area and see if he/she would be willing to meet with you one-on-one to answer your questions and talk about the work.

Hope that gives some clarity about the classes.
Any other questions? Please ask!
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:36 am

squash_blsm wrote:Sharecare is for family members of someone who is or has undergone the intensive treatment week at the Upledger Institute. It helps them to feel that they can help.

You want to take either the intro or CST I
Prior to that you may want to pick up Upledgers Cranio Sacral books.
Go to the IAHE web site for course listings...
http://www.iahe.com/controller/CourseInstanceFinder
Just a heads up ...

The course listing page has not been working properly. It won't let you search by specific state right now.
Brian

Return to “CEU's”