Craniosacral therapy

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

czechmade
Fresh Hands

Craniosacral therapy

Post by czechmade » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi , I am seeking some feedback on Craniosacral therapy. I am considering to attend this workshop in Upledger institute. This workshop is expensive, so I would like to know if it is worth my money and if it would fit me.
Can you help me with yours experience with this therapy? Practicing or obtaining?

Thank you

Czechmade
I like what I do.

Vita
Registered Member

Post by Vita » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:50 am

I've taken the class through Upledger. My practice mostly consists of Oncology massage clients and those who are more medically frail. My passion is Lymphatic Drainage Technique, but I use some part of Craniosacral in almost every session. For me, it turned out to be a very valuable tool. The class itself, like every class I've had from Upledger, was very well done. The information was presented in a way that was easy to grasp, the teacher was well informed and was happy to answer questions (or find answers) and help us understand how to apply this technique in our own practices. I felt like it was money well spent.
Each difficult moment has the potential to open my eyes and open my heart. --Myla Kabat-Zinn

cstbrian
Registered Member

Re: Craniosacral therapy

Post by cstbrian » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:53 am

czechmade wrote:Hi , I am seeking some feedback on Craniosacral therapy. I am considering to attend this workshop in Upledger institute. This workshop is expensive, so I would like to know if it is worth my money and if it would fit me.
Can you help me with yours experience with this therapy? Practicing or obtaining?

Thank you

Czechmade

As a teaching assistant for Upledger's CranioSacral Therapy classes, I can tell you a ton about CranioSacral and the classes. However, I have one question for you .... Have you ever had a session?

Brian
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

czechmade
Fresh Hands

Post by czechmade » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Thank you Vita for your respond. And for you Brian, no I didn't have this therapy done on myself but I am planing to do that soon and in begining of March there is introductory class in CSMT - in Chicago (that is school I went to) , so I am just trying find as much information as possible before I attend that class.
I would like to do some modality easier on my hands. ( I do mostly deep tissue+myofascial which is getting hard on my body , since I work lately 6 days a week.) I hope, that CST could help me slow down and more importantly that my clients or patients would benefit from it.

Thank you

Czechmade
I like what I do.

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:24 am

Czechmade,

Based on your last post, I have two suggestions for you.

First, I strongly suggest getting a session or two before you attend a class. I believe that you must feel the work from the inside to really 'get it' when you are giving the work.

Second, I highly recommend to anyone who is serious about pursuing CranioSacral Therapy to take the Intro class and then take level one. Many people disagree with me on this one. But, here's my take ...

The introduction class is almost all of the material from the first two days of the four day CST-I class. Many have said to me "Then why bother taking the intro if the material is repeated?" I took the intro and this was my experience:

I completed the two day intro in November '03. I took the full four day CST-I in April '04. That gave me about 5 months to be able to practice what I learned in the intro class. So, when I got to CST-I the first two days I spent reviewing and refining what I had learned and been practicing. I was able to take the material to a much deeper level of understanding and application.

The other wonderful advantage it gave me was that I was not overloaded with information. CST-I is PACKED with four full days of anatomy, physiology, technique, theory and applications. Plus, you are working on others and getting worked on yourself several times a day. As a TA, by day three I see students starting to overload. For some, it can be a lot for your body to assimilate in four days. Most get through with no visible issues, but I always wonder how much info was truly absorbed over the weekend. By taking the intro before CST-I I was excited and fully ready on day three to begin learning new material.

Of course, this is my particular experience and others will have a different take.

**NOTE: I am referring to the 2-day Upledger approved CST-Introductory class. There are many people out there who do their own 1 or 2 day Intro classes based on Upledger work, but it is not an Upledger class. I make this note because in a non-Upledger class, material may vary from the first two days of Upledger's CST-I. AND if it is not an Upledger approved Intro, you will not get the tuition discount toward CST-I.

Please, let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to answer them!

Brian
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

crystal_compass
Registered Member

Post by crystal_compass » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:51 am

Hi CzechMade,

I took the Upledger Craniosacral I class and thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually Craniosacral therapy is the whole reason I got into massage therapy in the first place so I could take CST classes. I had a definite calling to learn CST.

I think the best step you can make, as Brian suggested, is to schedule your own CST session with an Upledger trained therapist since that is the tract you are considering.

I had not had a session until right before the first class I signed up for and another practitioner that I was taking a class with was nice enough to give me a complimentary session. She had been through all of the CST classes including those that covered unwinding...WOW! is all I can say.

The work can be so profoundly moving at a psychological level yet so gentle in its application. I am anxious to continue my study.

Good Luck!

alohatexas
Fresh Hands

Post by alohatexas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:48 pm

I took the CST I back in 2004 and it still ranks as my all time favorite course. The first day I was doubtful...the next three I was in awe. Absolutely awesome modality, in my opinion. If I were handed a large educational grant, I'd spend the vast majority of it on those courses.
Hakuna Matata~

Gaspen
Registered Member

Post by Gaspen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi, czechmade

Even if you weren't going to pursue CST, I would definitely recommend receiving at least one session. I had read all the intro/teaser books from Upledger and I so stoked to taking the CST1 course at Upledger last year in Ohio, but it didn't happen :(. I'm hoping to take it in June/July (you're right, it is very expensive - but well worth it I believe).

As for using it in your practice, I, like you, primarily perform deep tissue/sports massage. Due to overwork, I injured my shoulder. Of the types of bodywork I have since received, CST seemed to be the one therapy that took me over the edge back to repair. So, yes. I strongly believe CST can effectively be used by itself or as an addition to MT.

Good luck with you CST. Maybe I'll see you around in Chicago some time. It's a small world. I work in Evanston, but you never know.
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com

mkat321
Registered Member

Post by mkat321 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:54 am

cstbrian wrote:Czechmade,

Based on your last post, I have two suggestions for you.

First, I strongly suggest getting a session or two before you attend a class. I believe that you must feel the work from the inside to really 'get it' when you are giving the work.

Second, I highly recommend to anyone who is serious about pursuing CranioSacral Therapy to take the Intro class and then take level one. Many people disagree with me on this one. But, here's my take ...

The introduction class is almost all of the material from the first two days of the four day CST-I class. Many have said to me "Then why bother taking the intro if the material is repeated?" I took the intro and this was my experience:

I completed the two day intro in November '03. I took the full four day CST-I in April '04. That gave me about 5 months to be able to practice what I learned in the intro class. So, when I got to CST-I the first two days I spent reviewing and refining what I had learned and been practicing. I was able to take the material to a much deeper level of understanding and application.

The other wonderful advantage it gave me was that I was not overloaded with information. CST-I is PACKED with four full days of anatomy, physiology, technique, theory and applications. Plus, you are working on others and getting worked on yourself several times a day. As a TA, by day three I see students starting to overload. For some, it can be a lot for your body to assimilate in four days. Most get through with no visible issues, but I always wonder how much info was truly absorbed over the weekend. By taking the intro before CST-I I was excited and fully ready on day three to begin learning new material.

Of course, this is my particular experience and others will have a different take.

**NOTE: I am referring to the 2-day Upledger approved CST-Introductory class. There are many people out there who do their own 1 or 2 day Intro classes based on Upledger work, but it is not an Upledger class. I make this note because in a non-Upledger class, material may vary from the first two days of Upledger's CST-I. AND if it is not an Upledger approved Intro, you will not get the tuition discount toward CST-I.

Please, let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to answer them!

Brian
*hijack* Thank you for posting this. I have six months to use a discount coupon from my school for upledger classes and I've been debating which one to take.

Return to “Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)”