Radiant Floor Heat

Get healthy! "Green" Living and Nutrition discussions here.

Moderator: riversinger

Radiant Floor Heat

Postby boofdorf on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:19 am

I installed radiant floor heat in our home when our old oil furnace bit the dust. This kind of heat is awesome: lower cost, efficient, no drafts/moving air, quiet, even heat. Heck we no longer where shoes or slippers in the winter (live in NH) and the kitties actually curl up to nap on the floor rather than on chairs. Love it and recommend it. You can put it in new home construction or retrofit it into existing homes (our house is over 100 years old).

Here's a link to the company we used:
http://www.radiantcompany.com/
boofdorf
Registered Member

Postby Masthera on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:20 am

I would love to have this in my house.

I am :mrgreen: with envy...
Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Postby mush on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:32 pm

we had this type system in a house we rented in taos new mexico. fabulous stuff. it works really well.
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005
mush
Registered Member

Postby charity f on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:37 pm

They had this in the bathroom floor at a hotel I stayed at. It was really nice!!!
charity f
Registered Member

Postby MRSkitten on Tue May 09, 2006 6:18 pm

When I lived up north, this is what was in our old house. It was MARVELOUS to get up on a frosty winter morning and find the workout clothing you'd purposely left on the floor was toasty warm. Even the marble flooring was warm! It took awhile for the entire house to heat up, but I loved it. Very efficient, too.

I bought another old house, in the sun belt, and we need the furnace maybe two months of the year, so it's not an issue anymore, but I do miss those warm floors...
"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." ~Henry James
MRSkitten
Registered Member

Postby boofdorf on Wed May 10, 2006 7:22 am

MRSkitten wrote:I bought another old house, in the sun belt, and we need the furnace maybe two months of the year, so it's not an issue anymore, but I do miss those warm floors...

Well then, at least go for these awesome solar hot water devices:
http://www.sssolar.com/collectors.asp
boofdorf
Registered Member

Postby MRSkitten on Wed May 10, 2006 8:45 am

Thanks, Boof! If I can figure out how to heat my pool so we can use it year-round with this thing it'd be great. The backisde of the house gets a lot of sun so panels wouldn't be visible from the street (and mar the appearance). Hmmmm....
"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." ~Henry James
MRSkitten
Registered Member

Postby boofdorf on Wed May 10, 2006 9:37 am

MRSkitten wrote:Thanks, Boof! If I can figure out how to heat my pool so we can use it year-round with this thing it'd be great. The backisde of the house gets a lot of sun so panels wouldn't be visible from the street (and mar the appearance). Hmmmm....

Oh yeah, these are great for pools and domestic hot water. And much more efficient/easier to install than big solar panels.
boof
boofdorf
Registered Member

Return to Nutrition and Natural Living