Amount of lotion used

BWOL is a board group for professional practitioners. This section is the ONLY PLACE allocated for clients to post and ask questions about massage and related items. -- INAPPROPRIATE POSTS WILL BE DELETED & TROLLS WILL BE BANNED FROM THE FORUM.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Amount of lotion used

Postby ace88 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:00 am

I guess I have to get something going in the client forum!

There is one therapist that uses very, very little lotion. Obviously being a guy, and having a decent amount of hair, I never quite feel like I am able to relax during her massages. Just a lot of tension rubbing against me but not really relaxing. But I don't know quite how to bring this up to her, or if it is appropriate. Do you at therapists, have people ask you for more or less lotion? Or is that really the therapists call and you really have no say? I've never said anything, but I have avoided this one therapist at the chiropractor because of this issue. I've also avoided her because I've had 30 minute massages that she turned into 15 or 20 minutes, which is a whole different story.
ace88
 

Re: Amount of lotion used

Postby SalemRose on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:18 am

ace88 wrote:Do you at therapists, have people ask you for more or less lotion? Or is that really the therapists call and you really have no say? I've never said anything, but I have avoided this one therapist at the chiropractor because of this issue. I've also avoided her because I've had 30 minute massages that she turned into 15 or 20 minutes, which is a whole different story.


I've never had anyone say anything about the amount of lotion I use. When I have a man on the table with a lot of body hair I always tell him to let me know if it feels like I'm pulling on the hair. And when going over a particularly hairy bodypart I check in with a "How does that feel? Not pulling hair?"

You're gonna definately need to say something. It is totally appropriate. She would want to know that you're not enjoying the massage. No mater what, even if it's a 5 minute freebie. Therapists take pride in knowing that they are giving their clients what the want and need.

Now for the 30 minutes session turned into 15 or 20 minutes.....you're gonna need to say something about this too! This one might feel a little more uncomfortable but you're paying for 30 minutes you should get 30 minutes. Even if it's covered under your insurance, don't you pay for your insurance? Yes. And if you DON'T pay for your insurance, remember that she's getting paid to give you a 30 minute massage. When you see her next, ask to talk to her and bring everything up in a non-confrontational manner. And see how it goes. Who knows, she may have been backed up when she shortened your massage. Doctor's offices are known for double booking, it's possible that they double book her as well. Were you running late for the appointment? She might not have wanted to say "You were late so we'll have to shorten your massage.". If after you've talked with her and you still don't care to have you work on you, fine. At least you took charge of the situation. Just my 2 cents!

Steph!
~If wishes were fishes, we'd have some to fry!~
SalemRose
Registered Member
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:09 am
Location: Valparaiso, Indiana

Postby maestra on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:01 am

I have only one male client who has reported this problem to me. I was using an oil gel which was great for the style of massage I usually do, but due to his being hairy AND having particularly dry skin it was more abbrasive than relaxing. (Honestly I wish he'd mentioned it During the massage, so I could have used more oil, but he suffered through the whole first massage.)
I did, however, learn from his wife who is also my client about the situation, and of course I felt extremely embarrassed for not having used enough oil. :oops:
However, I decided to switch to a massage creme with this particular client and because it tends to be initially a little "greasier"... it works great on this client. He's now one of my best clients... and has been known to sing my praises all over town.

:smt034 :lol: :oops:
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
User avatar
maestra
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:24 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Amount of lotion used

Postby ace88 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:06 am

SalemRose wrote:
ace88 wrote:Do you at therapists, have people ask you for more or less lotion? Or is that really the therapists call and you really have no say? I've never said anything, but I have avoided this one therapist at the chiropractor because of this issue. I've also avoided her because I've had 30 minute massages that she turned into 15 or 20 minutes, which is a whole different story.


I've never had anyone say anything about the amount of lotion I use. When I have a man on the table with a lot of body hair I always tell him to let me know if it feels like I'm pulling on the hair. And when going over a particularly hairy bodypart I check in with a "How does that feel? Not pulling hair?"

You're gonna definately need to say something. It is totally appropriate. She would want to know that you're not enjoying the massage. No mater what, even if it's a 5 minute freebie. Therapists take pride in knowing that they are giving their clients what the want and need.

Now for the 30 minutes session turned into 15 or 20 minutes.....you're gonna need to say something about this too! This one might feel a little more uncomfortable but you're paying for 30 minutes you should get 30 minutes. Even if it's covered under your insurance, don't you pay for your insurance? Yes. And if you DON'T pay for your insurance, remember that she's getting paid to give you a 30 minute massage. When you see her next, ask to talk to her and bring everything up in a non-confrontational manner. And see how it goes. Who knows, she may have been backed up when she shortened your massage. Doctor's offices are known for double booking, it's possible that they double book her as well. Were you running late for the appointment? She might not have wanted to say "You were late so we'll have to shorten your massage.". If after you've talked with her and you still don't care to have you work on you, fine. At least you took charge of the situation. Just my 2 cents!

Steph!


Regarding the 15-20 minutes, what's worse is, another therapist told me that another client had a similar complaint about her, about her ripping clients off for time. And she also told me that the therapist wasn't overbooked or double booked, she was talking to other people!
I've stopped making appointments with this therapist for the most part because I always feel like I am getting 24-25 minutes at best from her, and she also "breaks contact" a lot to walk to this side and that side, and I know that is something therapist are taught not to do. Even when the massage is 28 minutes, it feels like 15. I could tell her, but it's easy enough to book around her without having to tell her. I could tell the head chiropractor, but I'm not trying to get her in trouble.

The other funny thing is, the two therapists in the office who are supposedly CMT's (Certified Massage Therapists), are probably the two worst, in my opinion. I like the other three better! As for the lotion, I don't know why but it is just so hard for me to say to a therapist that I want more lotion. I'm fine with a mediocre amount, but this lady seems to use a below average amount....
ace88
 

Re: Amount of lotion used

Postby melb on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:59 pm

ace88 wrote:she also "breaks contact" a lot to walk to this side and that side, and I know that is something therapist are taught not to do.
I have to disagree with that comment, depending on the style of massage, breaking contact is totally normal.
A relaxation style like Swedish, breaking contact is discouraged, but not totally ruled out. Hot stone massage the therapist will usually break contact to go get a stone. Remedial theraputic muscle related massage, breaking contact is common, especially if there is any positioning being done on the table.
melb
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Australia

Postby Pandoras_Gift on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:15 pm

As for amount of lotion, cream, oil, etc. that the therapist is using definitely depends upon the modality being performed. Especially when you are at a chiropractors office, it is more treatment work then relaxation that is usually the goal. I perform treatment work mostly using myofacial and trigger point therapy. With both I only use cream if either my hands or their body is very dry, and I mean so little that it is less than a pea size to do the entire back. I usually use the myo to warm up the areas then do the trigger point, which I really do not want any cream on an area since I do not want to slide or glide at all. If there is too much I am forced to do the TP through the top sheet and not directly upon the skin. Also, when I am doing deeper work no matter what modality, the deeper the pressure needed, the less cream I use to prevent glide.

As for the hair issue. I actually tell my clients that if they do not want their body hair to be pulled to please trim or have someone help them trim it off to a decent length. This was a suggestion given to me by a faithful clinent that actually told me that he must trim his body hair before coming to a massage, he has been making this a practice even before he was my client because he felt as if the hair being pulled was too uncomfortable and he was not able to enjoy his massage. I suggest that you also make this practice to trim it to a 1/4 inch, which will make the experience better for both you and the therapist. I tell them that I have no intention on causing them additional discomfort, but it has to be a compromise.
love as always,
Muriel
User avatar
Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:44 pm
Location: New York, Rockland County

Postby mush on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:37 am

Pandoras_Gift wrote:As for the hair issue. I actually tell my clients that if they do not want their body hair to be pulled to please trim or have someone help them trim it off to a decent length.


:shock:

i couldn't possibly ask my clients to do this. it would be as if i said, your head hair is interfering with the massage strokes in the occiput area... why don't we trim it or shave it?

we should be doing everything in our power to minimize discomfort. if it requires a little more lube or a different type of lube, then so be it.
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005
User avatar
mush
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:32 am
Location: sunny florida

Postby fozzyo on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am

I'm with mush - I could never ask a client to trim their body hair!

Using an appropriate medium in appropriate quantities is all that is needed. I have found a beeswax based massage wax is great for hair bodies, really helps avoid knotting and pulling.

Mat xxx
"Excuse me while I slip out and step into something more spectacular!"
User avatar
fozzyo
Registered Member
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Wolverhampton, UK

A couple things...

Postby ace88 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:10 am

First, with regards to "breaking contact"...I agree that mostly in Swedish is where you aren't supposed to do this. But I think what I meant is, the therapist pauses and stops what she is doing while she is talking, takes a phone call, spends an extra amount of time doing things not related to the massage...and the client ends up feeling like it is a 15 minute massage.

I shouldn't have brought the body hair thing up at all. I have actually shaved slightly back/chest hair before getting a full body massage. However, hair being pulled is not why I don't like therapists who don't use at least a moderate amount of lotion. I just find the lotion helps to relax me in the beginning. Especially when working on neck/shoulders...that is where I need it to help me relax. This one therapist doesn't use hardly any and it just seems a little rougher/less relaxing.
ace88
 

Postby maestra on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:47 am

Then I think I'd I would just request a therapist you do like. Less problems that way all around. *shrug*
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
User avatar
maestra
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:24 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Postby ace88 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:44 am

maestra wrote:Then I think I'd I would just request a therapist you do like. Less problems that way all around. *shrug*


My real question wasn't about switching therapists, I guess, because at the chiro. sometimes you have no choice. My question really is do clients every request more/less lotion or is that just part of the therapists discrepancy? Is it wrong to ask for more lotion if they hardly use any? I just don't know if I could feel comfortable enough asking that.
ace88
 

Postby Rose of Sharon on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:53 pm

ace88 wrote:
maestra wrote:Then I think I'd I would just request a therapist you do like. Less problems that way all around. *shrug*


My real question wasn't about switching therapists, I guess, because at the chiro. sometimes you have no choice. My question really is do clients every request more/less lotion or is that just part of the therapists discrepancy? Is it wrong to ask for more lotion if they hardly use any? I just don't know if I could feel comfortable enough asking that.


It is completely appropriate to ask for more lotion. I've never had anyone ask and I'm pretty sure that is because I use the right amount for their comfort, but it certainly would not bother me in the least if someone did ask. I'd just say "sure" and apply more lotion! It wouldn't affect me, and I wouldn't probably ever think of it again, outside of noting in the file that this client likes lots of lotion in my client likes/dislikes area of the chart. I do note which type of lubricant a client prefers, and any other preferences they have. Your massage is one thing in life that is all about you! :D
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin
 
Posts: 3704
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:03 pm
Location: South Central WI

Postby Pandoras_Gift on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:00 pm

Actually, I should refraise my sentence... I suggest to my client to trim their body hair if it becomes an issue... this has only been a problem with very few of the men I have worked on and they have not had a problem since... once it is down to a 1/4 inch it doesn't pull at all...
love as always,
Muriel
User avatar
Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:44 pm
Location: New York, Rockland County

Postby maestra on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:51 pm

ace88 wrote:My real question wasn't about switching therapists, I guess, because at the chiro. sometimes you have no choice. My question really is do clients every request more/less lotion or is that just part of the therapists discrepancy? Is it wrong to ask for more lotion if they hardly use any? I just don't know if I could feel comfortable enough asking that.


I understand your question wasn't about switching therapists, your question was, as I understood it, "Is it appropriate to ask the therapist to use more lubricant (oil or lotion)."
In a word: YES

Then You brought up the issue that this massage therapist seems to short you on time as well. Thus taking this thread Off Topic.
And suggestions were made as to what could have been the problem, why she was moving around a lot during the masage or why she was "breaking contact," but none of those explainations appeared to be valid for you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my suggestion that you Request a MT that you Do like the massage from. Certainly you may still get stuck with the one you don't care for if she was the only one available. But in most businesses if there is a request for a certain therapist, and the therapist is available, the patient/client's wish would be accomodated. I was only trying to suggest a way in which you could receive a more enjoyable massage. :roll:
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
User avatar
maestra
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:24 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Postby ace88 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:18 pm

maestra wrote:
ace88 wrote:My real question wasn't about switching therapists, I guess, because at the chiro. sometimes you have no choice. My question really is do clients every request more/less lotion or is that just part of the therapists discrepancy? Is it wrong to ask for more lotion if they hardly use any? I just don't know if I could feel comfortable enough asking that.


I understand your question wasn't about switching therapists, your question was, as I understood it, "Is it appropriate to ask the therapist to use more lubricant (oil or lotion)."
In a word: YES

Then You brought up the issue that this massage therapist seems to short you on time as well. Thus taking this thread Off Topic.
And suggestions were made as to what could have been the problem, why she was moving around a lot during the masage or why she was "breaking contact," but none of those explainations appeared to be valid for you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my suggestion that you Request a MT that you Do like the massage from. Certainly you may still get stuck with the one you don't care for if she was the only one available. But in most businesses if there is a request for a certain therapist, and the therapist is available, the patient/client's wish would be accomodated. I was only trying to suggest a way in which you could receive a more enjoyable massage. :roll:


I shouldn't have brought up the time thing...that's a separate issue with her. Didn't mean to put you in a defensive position. Actually, I do have a certain therapist at the chiropractor but when she is sick, on vacation, or when my schedule gets messed up sometimes I am forced to go with another therapist...The one I described is really the only one out of four or five I've had that doesn't use enough lotion, IMO.
ace88
 

Postby IlikebeingaMT on Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:52 pm

Say something about not getting enough lotion, I've never had a client ask me for more thought but if they did, I wouldn't get offended.

As for the MT cutting the massage time short, as the great Barney Fife would say, nipe it, nipe it in the bud! HAHA.. We get paid to massage for a certain time, usually I run a few minutes more then I should but I don't care. You should complain to the head Chiro. That's not right, if you ask me.

Heather
User avatar
IlikebeingaMT
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:43 pm

Postby ace88 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:43 am

IlikebeingaMT wrote:Say something about not getting enough lotion, I've never had a client ask me for more thought but if they did, I wouldn't get offended.

As for the MT cutting the massage time short, as the great Barney Fife would say, nipe it, nipe it in the bud! HAHA.. We get paid to massage for a certain time, usually I run a few minutes more then I should but I don't care. You should complain to the head Chiro. That's not right, if you ask me.

Heather


Heather, just the other day I was at the chiro and some lady was really ticked off. She had an hour massage scheduled and said this SAME therapist stopped after 40 minutes...and said she was only paying for a 1/2 hour to the receptionist. She tried to say something to the therapist but she was already out the door. And she's supposed to be the certified one! There have been several complaints, but I didn't make my known to the chiro...maybe I will.
ace88
 

Postby SalemRose on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:08 am

ace88 wrote:I didn't make my known to the chiro...maybe I will.


Listen, plain and simple, when you say nothing in these situations, you ALLOW people to treat you this way. If you want better service you must speak up. There's no getting around it.

Steph!
~If wishes were fishes, we'd have some to fry!~
SalemRose
Registered Member
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:09 am
Location: Valparaiso, Indiana

Postby ace88 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:49 am

SalemRose wrote:
ace88 wrote:I didn't make my known to the chiro...maybe I will.


Listen, plain and simple, when you say nothing in these situations, you ALLOW people to treat you this way. If you want better service you must speak up. There's no getting around it.

Steph!


Well, for me, I just avoided every being scheduled with that therapist anymore. But you are right...I probably should say something.
ace88
 

Postby blisterpeanuts on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:16 pm

ace88 wrote:
SalemRose wrote:
ace88 wrote:I didn't make my known to the chiro...maybe I will.


Listen, plain and simple, when you say nothing in these situations, you ALLOW people to treat you this way. If you want better service you must speak up. There's no getting around it.

Steph!


Well, for me, I just avoided every being scheduled with that therapist anymore. But you are right...I probably should say something.


I'm just curious--is the chiropractor or whoever's in charge of the practice really that clueless? How can they employ an MT who takes a phone call in the middle of a massage, shorts the patients, and doesn't seem to know how to use lotion properly? I would have thought that they'd go out of their way to hire professionals who are going to reflect well on the practice.

I'm just a student so maybe my perspective is a little limited but if someone did that to me I'd think twice about returning to that chiro. Not questioning your judgement ace88, I'm just outraged at how you've been treated.
blisterpeanuts
 

Postby ace88 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:18 am

I'm just curious--is the chiropractor or whoever's in charge of the practice really that clueless? How can they employ an MT who takes a phone call in the middle of a massage, shorts the patients, and doesn't seem to know how to use lotion properly? I would have thought that they'd go out of their way to hire professionals who are going to reflect well on the practice.

I'm just a student so maybe my perspective is a little limited but if someone did that to me I'd think twice about returning to that chiro. Not questioning your judgement ace88, I'm just outraged at how you've been treated.


The lady who took a phone call is different than the one who shorts patients with time. She only took a phone call once or twice in important situations, and since I was the last client of the night she gave extra time, so I didn't really care. She's leaving in a couple months anyway, so the chiro, who does get annoyed at her, probably will resist doing anything. He gets annoyed at her for actually going overtime with clients too much.

As for the lady who shorts clients with time, I'm not sure if the chiropractor is aware of it. Another therapist actually told me that she thinks the chiro and this one therapist have some kind of deal and that whenever there are openings, the therapist who shorts people gets them before anyone else. Now I don't know if they just don't like each other or what.....I should say, I've probably had 1 massage a week for about a year, and I've only had two or three bad experiences, so it's not like I am complaining. They just all happen with this lady who skips clients for time. I've probably had her 5 times and only once did I get a half hour, and the one time was embarrassingly short, 15 minutes!
ace88
 

Postby jyoti on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:33 pm

ace88 wrote:
I've probably had her 5 times and only once did I get a half hour, and the one time was embarrassingly short, 15 minutes!


That's so WRONG. :evil: The ONLY time I would think of shorting a client for time is if either 1) they have a habit of showing up late or 2) they're late, don't have a pattern of it BUT I have a client right after them. Other than that, I advertise an hour (or whatever), they get the hour ON THE TABLE.

Blessings,
~Jyoti
User avatar
jyoti
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:30 am
Location: Sanity Tonio, Texas

Postby Shannon on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:06 pm

1) they have a habit of showing up late or 2) they're late, don't have a pattern of it BUT I have a client right after them. Other than that, I advertise an hour (or whatever), they get the hour ON THE TABLE.


I cut clients short for the same reason, showing up late for appointments isn't just disrespecting my time but also the clients after them.
Another reason I will cut someone short is if they start getting inappropriate on my table. This has happened twice...cause I had to go the bathroom and could not possibly hold it any longer, both times they had 5 minutes left.
Shannon
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:31 pm

Postby ace88 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:40 pm

I always show up for appointments early at the chiropractor. If I am lucky, and the therapist's previous client didn't show up, sometimes they'll take me early and give me 40 minutes instead of a half hour. Well, in regards to this one therapist who cuts time, me being late was not the reason. In fact, one other therapist told me the reason my massage actually started late with her was not because they were backed up with the schedule, but because this time cutting therapist was busy goofing off talking with people! Kind of annoyed me, if true. I think whenever her schedule is off, she cuts people's times short to make it up, regardless of the reason.
ace88
 

Postby jyoti on Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:40 pm

ace88 wrote:Well, in regards to this one therapist who cuts time, me being late was not the reason. In fact, one other therapist told me the reason my massage actually started late with her was not because they were backed up with the schedule, but because this time cutting therapist was busy goofing off talking with people! Kind of annoyed me, if true. I think whenever her schedule is off, she cuts people's times short to make it up, regardless of the reason.


That sounds like someone who doesn't want to work. That ain't fair. I always appreciate someone who shows up a little early. Often, if they're early, I'll go ahead and start them early. I NEVER cut someone's time short to make up for lost time. You should not have to put up with that.

Cheers,
~Jyoti
User avatar
jyoti
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:30 am
Location: Sanity Tonio, Texas

Next

Return to Clients Talk About Massage

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests