How do you use hot towels???

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

How do you use hot towels???

Postby ladybug1 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:03 am

I'm just wondering if & how everyone here uses hot towels during a treatment.

I use one on the length of the back after I work the back. I cover it with a dry towel to hold in the heat when I work the arms. Then I cover both towels with a dry one & pull the first 2 out. No air exposure to the wet skin. I dry off the back then move on.

I also complete wrap each foot in a hot hand towel. Then wrap the top & bottom sheet around the foot bundle to keep in the heat. I ususally do this at the end of the massage, right before I work the head & neck (I start face down, end at the head,,, obviously).

I've seen people use both hot & cold towels on the face. What is your favorite way to use hot towels?
"If you don't go within, you go without"
ladybug1
Registered Member

Postby Wellness4You on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:30 pm

I use hot towels on their feet also. I do one foot at a time and wrap the hot towel on the foot and do compressions, then use the towels while still warm and wash the foot. Then using lotion, massage the foot. Repeat on the other foot.
I sometimes use hot towels on the face, especially if they are congested, I will use peppermint or other aromatherapy.
I will also put them on the neck occasionally.
Now, my pet peeve...I don't like to get a massage and the therapist uses hot towels and leaves them too long while working on another body part and they become cold and wet.
Wellness4You
Fresh Hands

Postby gr8hands on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:04 pm

I use a hot wet towel to wipe the lotion off of my client's feet. The idea came to me as I looked at a client's high heeled sandals. I envisioned their slick feet sliding around in those dangerous looking shoes and getting hurt. Washing her feet seemed to be a good idea at the time. She just purred with the hot towels wrapped around her tootsies, so I started doing it for everyone.
gr8hands
Fresh Hands

Postby MassageMaven on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:35 am

At the beginning of a massage I use hot towels on the feet like Wellness and then apply a pepperminty foot cream.

At the end of the massage I use them to wipe my clients hands and feet off.
MassageMaven
Registered Member

Postby cosmictouch on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:41 pm

Just got my hot towel cabi and am trying to think up great ways to use it. I was wondering if the Hydrocolator packs will heat up the same in this as in the units designed just for them???

Anyone know the answer to this one???

TIA! :D
Angela
Absolutely Spahhvelous
940-343-5667
cosmictouch
Registered Member

Postby seekingequanimity on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:51 pm

I don't see why not, however you would have to soak them in water first. If you already have some, you should try it.

I use flexible hot/cold gel packs in my hot towel cabi.

Noel
seekingequanimity
Registered Member

Postby tropicmom on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:30 pm

seekingequanimity wrote:I don't see why not, however you would have to soak them in water first. If you already have some, you should try it.

Do you already have the hydrocollator packs? I know once they're wet, they have to be kept wet. Apparently they're not supposed to dry out. If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in, but this is what I was told when I worked in a PT clinic.
tropicmom
Registered Member

Postby Bodymovers on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:15 am

the packs DO have to stay wet, and at a constant high temp to ward off "cooties". I would not use them in anything but a hydocollator, just to make sure youre not passing around nasties from one client to another :} You could also think about a Fomentek bag if you like the idea of having heat on your client for a while. Like a hot water bottle, fill it w/ hot water & it stays hot for a while. Can be wiped down between clients.
Bodymovers
Registered Member

Postby bodyworker on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:25 pm

I use my hot towel cabi to keep towels warm that I use on the face when I'm doing a facial. I also keep a few hot stones in it. The cabi keeps them at a good temp and I can use them as an extra perk when clients come in that are real tense and knotty. I don't do a whole hot stone massage, I only use a couple on the upper back area and lower back if needed. I find them great when working the glutes on some one with sciatica or lower back pain. I also keep a hot pack in it. (Hot pack being one of those little bags filled with beans or grains or something).
Blue skies,
bodyworker
Registered Member

Re: How do you use hot towels???

Postby hibbard on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:52 pm

How do you heat stones in the cabby to be sure they are uniformly heated and do not have hot spots? I have not tried this but am thinking wrapping them in a moist towel?
Thanks.
hibbard
Fresh Hands

Re: How do you use hot towels???

Postby PatShef on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Towel cabinets have a rack in them so there is no direct contact with the heated surface. This helps in uniform heating. I have not had any trouble with hot spots in my stones and I have been heating them with the towels for two years.
For towels I use...
1 on the face while I work the neck and sub- ocs
1 on each hand and foot as I work them.
then after I work the back I use one (waived around to cool it ) topped with one not cooled, topped with a dry towel, then pull up the sheet and blanket and let them bake while I work back of legs/hips/ feet.
I come back to the back of the head and neck then reach under the sheet and slide-roll the 3 towels out. The dry towel does a pretty good job keeping the sheet dry so no shivery damp shock messing up my good work.

I do know one therapist who puts two towels ,no toppers, on the clients back at the end of the session and leaves the room. this is her way of promptly getting them off the table as they cool very quickly uncovered.
She keeps her schedule pretty tight, but I just cant do that to my people.
PatShef
Fresh Hands

Return to Spa Techniques