What do you like to read?

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

What do you like to read?

Postby Intuitouch on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:37 am

I find I've always got several books going on at once.  Aside from reading to my young son I find there are two to three other books that are of interest to me that I've got my nose buried in.<br><br>What are some of the most recent books you've read?<br><br>I just finished: "People of the Lie" The Hope for Healing Human Evil by M. Scott Peck, M.D.  I found this a difficult book to read as I found the author rather arrogant but the subject matter is compelling.<br><br>This caught my eye while I was in Borders and found it fascinating!  "blink" The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" by Malcolm Gladwell<br><br>I am currently reading this to my son.  "Goblet of Fire" by J. K. Rowlings<br><br>We just finished this one.  "Sorcerers Stone" by J. K. Rowlings<br><br>I find myself light headed when practicing some of the techniques in this book.  "Quantum Touch" The Power to Heal by Richard Gordon<br><br>My financial advisor recommended this one.  I like it because it talks about setting your financial goals according to your values and priorities.  "Smart Women Finish Rich" by David Bach
~ A Hunch is Creativity Trying to Tell You Something~
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Re: What do you like to read?

Postby jellybeanbutterfly on Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:27 am

I'm almost done reading "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult.<br><br>It's about a girl who is diagnosed with Leukemia at age 2, and her older brother isn't a genetic match for treatment, so they decide to have another baby through IVF and they choose an embryo that's a genetic match for their daughter.  They give birth to another daughter, and from birth, she's a donor.  At age 13, her sister (age 16) is still alive, but very sick and needs a kidney transplant, but the 13 year old is fed up, and sues her parents for medical emanicpation, although she knows it will kill her sister.<br><br>It's bittersweet and beautiful, and it will make you cry.  It been a long time since I've felt such an attachment to characters in a book.  I highly recommend reading it!
Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.
- Leonardo da Vinci
jellybeanbutterfly
Registered Member

Postby merlescuz on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:28 am

I'm just getting started with "Kite Runner", about a boy growing up in Afghanistan. It got great reviews. Haven't really gotten into it yet, 'cause I'm only on page 6. I expect when I have enough time to sink in, it's gonna be a good one.
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com
merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Postby Gaspen on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:25 am

Well, for the past year or so, everything I've picked up to read has been related to massage (no fiction). I picked up one book about a month ago on massage techniques for almost all of the bodies muscles. It's one of those relatively expensive study books for the National (although that wasn't why I bought it). I like it, however, most of what is being taught in the book is also taught in our KMP and Clinical classes - so no new material. Oh well. It'll look good on my bookshelf.<br><br>But I generally read political mystery, sci-fi, fantasy (they are not one and the same).
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com
Gaspen
Registered Member

Postby DoriKaters on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:38 am

I just finished White Oleander by Janet Fitch (right?)  I LOVED every single page.   A daughter of a poet convicted of murder  travels from foster home to foster home in L.A.  Each home has a different life and a different lesson, though she learns them in a difficult way - she still walks away with a lesson.   <br><br>When I finish a book I really got into I kind of 'miss' the characters.  And I will admit that there is a little dissapointment that these characters were never real people anyway.    When a character is painted so vivadly I just really get into it.  I miss Astrid  ;)
Enjoy yourself, its later than you think!
DoriKaters
Registered Member

Postby merlescuz on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:45 am

I've been reading a couple of massage related books as well...just tweaked my low back (psoas most likely) the other day and have been going through Trailguide and Trigger Point Therapy Workbook to try and deal with it. Talk about a way to really learn about something...experience it first hand and you'll NEVER forget! Not that I'm recommending that approach  :-/
Oprah Winfrey

merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Postby Intuitouch on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 am

merlescuz...yeah, there isn't anything like experience being the true teacher.<br><br>LOL I remember going in for a pedicure and taking the CranioSacral Therapy book in for some "light" reading.  The guy at the front thought he would chat me up and started asking about what I was reading...as I started to explain about the dura mater, fascial adhesions and restrictions of the CSR his eyes glazed over and I swear he took a quick nap!!!  :D  The good news is he doesn't try and chat me up anymore when I'm in there for an appt. ;)
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Postby merlescuz on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:06 am

Question is, did he start rubbing his head as you described it to him?  8)
Oprah Winfrey

merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Postby Intuitouch on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:06 pm

lol no...just a glazed look came over his eyes and the occasional *snort* that happens when someone is napping.  :)
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Postby jellybeanbutterfly on Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:19 pm

Ohh, "White Oleander" is fantastic!  If you haven't yet, don't watch the movie...it's a huge disappointment after reading the book!
Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.
- Leonardo da Vinci
jellybeanbutterfly
Registered Member

Postby akb on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:28 pm

I finished the Conversations with God series right before my son was born, since then I've read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and not much else.  Beside my bed is Life is so Good by George Dawson it's nonfiction about a black man...grandson of a former slave and his life growing up...he didn't learn to read until he was 98.  <br><br>Gaspen - what is the title of your massage technique book?<br><br>Intuitouch - I couldn't get through Blink - I wanted it to be about something else, I think.<br><br>
akb
Registered Member

Postby SpiritedJen on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:13 pm

I'm so glad that this topic was brought up :) Books are a true passion of mine. I have books written about books, books about reading too many books, etc. ;) My husband thinks I'm a dork. <br><br>I especially love the classics; Austen, Steinbeck and on and on. <br><br>I've read White Oleander a few times, it is a great read. I agree, the movies stinks in comparison, lol.
~*Jen*~
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller
www.spiritedawaymassage.abmp.com
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby Intuitouch on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:23 pm

Intuitouch - I couldn't get through Blink - I wanted it to be about something else, I think.

Okay now...you can't just say something like that and let it go. ;)  One of the most interesting parts of that book (to me) was the discussion about the two guys that developed the system that reads facial expressions and that Pixtar used "it" to create the expressions for the characters of Toy Story.

Wasn't "White Oleander" one of Oprah's Book Club recommendations?
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Postby SpiritedJen on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:40 pm

I have Blink sitting right in front of me, it's next on my list :) Right now I'm reading Freakonomics (A Rogue Economist Explores The Hidden Side of Everything) It's very interesting. <br><br>Before that I read The Know-It-All. It's about a man who reads the entire Encyclopedia Britannica and it is HILARIOUS.
~*Jen*~
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby akb on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:14 pm

Okay now...you can't just say something like that and let it go. ;)  

I don't think I even got as far as Toy Story.  I wanted it to be about how our nervous system picks up an incredible amount of information that we filter....that we create these filters....and how we can tap into all the information that we filter out in order to be more in touch with our intuition.  He lost me during the war games.....

SpiritedJen - I feel the same way about reading, but my husband is as big of a dork as I am (they called him encyclopedia head in school).  In our house our TV is only used for watching our Netflix.  

A couple of years ago I set out to read the classics, somehow I missed all those on the required reading lists in school.  I was working my way through Crime and Punishment when my life took an unexpected turn and I never finished.  I keep meaning to pick it back up!
akb
Registered Member

Postby SpiritedJen on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:34 pm

Anita, you're lucky to have someone right in your house to talk about books with. My husband would much rather watch football ;) I try to talk him into reading something now and then but so far I've only found success with books about the Red Sox, lol.
~*Jen*~
Helen Keller
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby SpiritedJen on Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:13 pm

Wooohooo is right Pete :) I'm looking forward to it!
~*Jen*~
Helen Keller
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby palpable on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:00 pm

I love the Harry Potter books. I refused to read them for years because I figured something that popular probably couldn't be all that great. I read the first book because my wife bought it for me at a dollar book sale, and I immediately read the entire series!!<br>Started on "blink", but haven't passed the first chapter yet.<br><br>I am currently reading Deanne Juhan's "Job's Body" It is a nice "easy" physiology read. I really like the way he meshes the spiritual/energetic side of humanity with the scientific realities of human form.<br><br>I LOVE Jeanette Winterson. Forgive the comparison, but... she is sort of like a smarter, more philosophical, more interesting, better storytelling version of Tom Robbins (of "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues," and "Another Roadside Attraction"). I would highly recommend any of her books. She is a wonderful storyteller, and there is a lot of depth to her books without coming off as uppity philosophy. I would warn, though, that the writing can be a little on the darker side (a la movies such as "Brazil").<br><br>And I will end my rambling with "A Day In the Life of Ivan Desinovich" by Alexander Solhzenitsyn (sp?). The book is around 90 pages, and it is the tale of one single day in the life of a prisoner in a Russian Siberian work camp. The detail he offers is fantastically vivid and complete.<br><br>I could go on.....
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute
palpable
Registered Member

Postby fozzyo on Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:19 am

For all those who love Harry Potter I have a recommendation for you - the His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Its a trilogy starting with The Golden Compass (or Northern Lights in the UK), The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.<br><br>They are written as children's books, but I know more adults then kids that have read them. The trilogy has won many literary awards, including the very presigious Whitbread award - the first "childrens" book to do so.<br><br>When I read them for the first time i kept missing my tube stop going to work in the morning and all my friends have raved about them - they are true page turners. You won't want to put them down.<br><br>Amazon.com review's the book as:<br>
<br>In an epic trilogy, Philip Pullman unlocks the door to a world parallel to our own, but with a mysterious slant all its own. Dæmons and winged creatures live side by side with humans, and a mysterious entity called Dust just might have the power to unite the universes--if it isn't destroyed first. Here, the three paperback titles in Pullman's heroic fantasy series are united in one dazzling boxed set. Join Lyra, Pantalaimon, Will, and the rest as they embark on the most breathtaking, heartbreaking adventures of their lives. The fate of the universe is in their hands. The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass pit good against evil in a way no reader will ever forget.<br>
<br><br>Last year I was lucky enough to see the Stage adaptation of the books, and am now very excited about the movie's that are in development!<br><br>Mat xxx<br>
"Excuse me while I slip out and step into something more spectacular!"
fozzyo
Registered Member

Postby akb on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:52 am

Anita, you're lucky to have someone right in your house to talk about books with.

Well my husband gets his sports fix from the internet...in fact most of what he reads is internet news and magazines, so we definitely have separate tastes in reading material.  I think he might have read two whole books in 6 years.  What ever floats his boat.  I never minded watching a football game or two with him, but it was all the sports shows before and after the games that drove me nuts.

Palpable - I LOVE Job's Body!  It's one of the only books I read through then wanted to start reading again.
akb
Registered Member

Postby merlescuz on Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:28 am

Not long ago I read a series of books that I thought was fascinating, called "Griffin and Sabine". It is both visually interesting and thought-provoking. Instead of being written in a narrative, the pages are set up as post cards between long-distance lovers who yearn to be together. The artwork is beautiful, even the postmarks are fun to look at. The further you read the more bewildering the story becomes; the antithesis of what I have always been used to.
Oprah Winfrey

merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Postby SpiritedJen on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:10 am

Palpable, that's exactly why I haven't read The DaVinci Code. I got sick of hearing about it, lol.
~*Jen*~
Helen Keller
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby Intuitouch on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:47 pm

He lost me during the war games.....

I can see that...the chapter on war games was a bit drawn out for what he was trying to say.  I will keep my eyes open for one about filters.

I love the Harry Potter books.  I find them full of creativity and imagination.  I'll have to check out the Phillip Pullman books.
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Postby starie_eyed on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:01 pm

I'm almost done reading "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult.

It's about a girl who is diagnosed with Leukemia at age 2, and her older brother isn't a genetic match for treatment, so they decide to have another baby through IVF and they choose an embryo that's a genetic match for their daughter.  They give birth to another daughter, and from birth, she's a donor.  At age 13, her sister (age 16) is still alive, but very sick and needs a kidney transplant, but the 13 year old is fed up, and sues her parents for medical emanicpation, although she knows it will kill her sister.

It's bittersweet and beautiful, and it will make you cry.  It been a long time since I've felt such an attachment to characters in a book.  I highly recommend reading it!

I am a big Jodi Picoult fan! I've read almost all of her books and I have two in the wing for when I get some more time to actually read them. If you get the chance Plain Truth was one of my favorites from her.

I read a lot of fiction, but I specifically enjoy books which are told from different voices (like Jodi Picoult's books or the book The Lovely Bones). I also read a lot of Massage related books and have lately been attracted to books involving aromatherapy and nutrition. I also read a lot of Astrology, Spirituality, and Self Help books.

Right now I am actually reading the fifth Harry Potter Book. Again, just so I can be ready for when the Sixth comes out... Which is TOMORROW! I'm so excited!!!

*jumps up and down from excitement*
*rora*
starie_eyed
Fresh Hands

Postby Texas-gal on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:02 pm

*hehe*

I swear everytime I see the Willie Wonka movie clips on t.v., it is EXACTLY the pictures I recall in my head from way back when I was a little kid reading the book.  I am hoping the WHOLE movie is the same as the pictures I had in my head.

So, I am seriously thinking about trying to hunt up my old copy and read it again!  :)

Currently, I have been trying to get through the same book for about 5 years now.  I just don't read like I did so long ago.  If I ever sit down to get it all in, I am reading:

Hondo My Father
by one of his daughters,
Becky Crouch Patterson

http://www.lnstar.com/mall/literature/hondo.htm
Last edited by Texas-gal on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas-gal

Next

Return to Off the Table Topics