HOW DID YOU PAY YOUR TUITION??

Interested in a particular curriculum or just want to find more information about a certain institution. Looking for colleagues from your alma mater? Gather 'round, we've got a place for you.

Moderator: stonegirl

LilNomad
Fresh Hands

HOW DID YOU PAY YOUR TUITION??

Post by LilNomad » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi, Im looking at a few schools and understand I qualify for the Stafford Loan but will still end up approx 6k short. Since I am employed I will not qualify for any grants. How did you pay the balance of your tuition?? Are there any grants available? With both schools I am considering this spread will be paid during the 12 mo im in school which is approx $500/mo.
Thanks
LilNomad

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: HOW DID YOU PAY YOUR TUITION??

Post by pueppi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:35 am

I saved my money prior to going to massage school and paid up front. But, $6,000 is a LOT to be short.

Can you afford to repay at the $500/month rate?

I do know that some schools will allow you to go through school and then give you your diploma once you re-pay the tuition. That means sometimes a student will not get their diploma or the opportunity to sit for the exams until after they have paid the bill a few years later. It may be an option, if you want to go ahead and get your education now and then wait to set up practice.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

shivashiva
Registered Member

Post by shivashiva » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:28 pm

pueppi wrote:I saved my money prior to going to massage school and paid up front.
This is what I did, too and I truly recommend it.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats

jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by jdcan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:23 pm

shivashiva wrote:
pueppi wrote:I saved my money prior to going to massage school and paid up front.
This is what I did, too and I truly recommend it.

Me too!

ValerieReikiLMT
Fresh Hands

Post by ValerieReikiLMT » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I think my massage school was like 7K (in 2002) but got a price break if you paid up front. I paid with a CC and then took out a Sallie Mae loan and paid the CC, with some extra for a table and chair. The interest was low with the Sallie Mae, but I am still paying it off....which is the only bummer part.

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Add me to the list of those who saved...
I actually had been intending to buy a newer car and had saved $5000.
(Which happened to be the price of MT training at the school I wished to attend back in 1997.
The price was mid-range at the time.)
So I paid up front for my MT education... and considering how lean those first couple of years in practice were, and the cost of insurance, National Certification and state licensing... I am glad I did.
Oh yeah, that newer car? I finally got it 2 years ago. LOL
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:20 am

I paid cash too ! And I am sp glad I don't have a student loan hanging over my head. I would look for a small school that is cheaper and save your $$$$$ it is already a challenge to make money right after graduation you really don't want to add a 30 year student to the mix

moose_goose
Registered Member

Post by moose_goose » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17 pm

I got a loan, and what that didn't cover I got another loan through sallie mae (?) which covered the gap in the tuition, supplies, and an extra $3,000 that I used for living expenses throughout school.
School was in 2004, still paying both loans off now at about $100 total a month. I probably have .. around $5,000 left to repay?

Since you haven't saved, you could probably just check into other options on additional loans.

stonegirl

Post by stonegirl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:25 am

I also got a loan. Just a regular signature loan from my bank. (my massage school didn't have any options for financial aid at the time.)
If I remember right, mine was a 3 yr loan, and my payments were totally manageable. But massage school tuition was significantly less those days! And the program I was in was stretched out - class was only 1 day per week - so I could maintain a full time job while going to school.

katamay
Registered Member

Post by katamay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 am

My tuition was about $1,200 per quarter, for seven quarters. There was no financial aid offered. I had about half of that saved before I started school, and the other half I paid by working full-time when I was in school. I found a job that allowed me to work 7am-4pm, and then I went to school from 6pm-10pm.

I don't think I could have done it if I had kids, though. Are you supporting others, or are you on your own? Moving into a cheaper place or finding a roommate, getting rid of any debt you might have, and cutting back on any expensive hobbies or habits you might have can all help, especially if you start before school. Going car-free isn't an option for everybody, but it can be a huge money-saver, too. Check out mint.com to help you track your expenses and find ways to save more money while you're a student.

Good luck!

Kat
On my way ... LMT or Bust! http://lmtorbust.com

Return to “School & Curriculum Discussion”