Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby athletica on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:21 pm

For any of the chiropractors on this board or for anyone else that wants to provide some insight... Do you prefer patients receive chiropractic manipulations before or after massage therapy treatment? I have always preferred my patient receive manipulations before visiting myself for soft tissue work. I have a few theories...
athletica
Registered Member
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby maestra on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:29 am

For myself I prefer to receive the chiro adjustment after a myofascial release treatment or massage.
It tends to make my adjustments easier.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
User avatar
maestra
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3855
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:24 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby riversinger on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:34 am

If someone receives adjustments from a chiro prior to coming in & they're super tight to start with it's harder for them to get great results.

I've always found for myself that if I'd had a good deep tissue session done a day or so prior to seeing the chiro that he is able to get the adjustment made much easier (0n both of us!) and that it holds longer as well.

Just my 2 cents FWIW!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger
Moderator
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:18 pm
Location: Bucks County, PA

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby pueppi on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 pm

athletica wrote:For any of the chiropractors on this board or for anyone else that wants to provide some insight... Do you prefer patients receive chiropractic manipulations before or after massage therapy treatment? I have always preferred my patient receive manipulations before visiting myself for soft tissue work. I have a few theories...


As a dual licensed... many times I leave it up to the patient+client to decide, if they have a preference. If they don't, then I figure what works best.

I find that some people will not adjust well until things are really loosened up first, while others adjust poorly after massage. If I happen to have someone who utilizes both services, it may take a few visits to find the best combination.

It's about 50/50 (before or after) with my patients+clients who see me for both services.

And as a helpful note, most of my patients & clients usually see me for one or the other service with only about 20% seeing me for both services.



04/01-02/12 - edited for typos
Last edited by pueppi on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
User avatar
pueppi
Registered Member
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 am
Location: Texas / The Lone Star State

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby athletica on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Pueppi: Interesting. Are you finding patients are visiting other clinics for chiro or massage treatment? Or do you feel patients are recieving only chiro or massage?
athletica
Registered Member
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby pueppi on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:28 pm

athletica wrote:Pueppi: Interesting. Are you finding patients are visiting other clinics for chiro or massage treatment? Or do you feel patients are recieving only chiro or massage?



I am not sure I understand your question.

Regarding my practice in particular, I find that most of my patients & clients see me for one or the other service with only about 20% seeing me for both services.

That means... about 80% of the people who walk through my door either want a massage or a chiropractic session (and will most likely never use the opposite type of bodywork). About 20% of the people who walk through my door want both services (usually on the same day - but, occasionaly on different days).

Of those who want both services, it seems to be about equal (50/50) as to the need for chiropractic before (50%) or after (50%) the session.

Because I schedule my appointment book in blocks of time for bodywork, that means that there are occasions that I cannot fit a patient in for chiropractic work on a day or time they have a preference for (of course the same goes for massage), because the timing does not allow for a "quick fix" until 8pm. Since most chiropractic patients want their work in a different time frame (today!) than massage clients, I have had to teach them that they will either have to book in advance like my massage clients, or find another DC to attend to them if they cannot wait. This means that occasionaly some of my patients (and massage clients too) will visit other clinics.

Does that help?



04/02/12 - edited for typo
Last edited by pueppi on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
User avatar
pueppi
Registered Member
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 am
Location: Texas / The Lone Star State

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby JasonE on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Many of my clients also see chiropractors. Most of them seem to prefer to get soft tissue work from me a day or so before seeing their chiropractor, though some go the same day. A few have indicated a preference for seeing the chiro first, but not many.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
User avatar
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Burnsville, MN

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby athletica on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:44 pm

pueppi wrote:
athletica wrote:Pueppi: Interesting. Are you finding patients are visiting other clinics for chiro or massage treatment? Or do you feel patients are recieving only chiro or massage?



I am not sure I understand your question.

Regarding my practice in particular, I find that most of my patients & clients see me for one or the other service with only about 20% seeing me for both services.

That means... about 80% of the people who walk through my door either want a massage or a chiropractic session (and will most likely never use the opposite type of bodywork). About 20% of the people who walk through my door want both services (usually on the same day - but, occasionaly on different days).

Of those who want both services, it seems to be about equal (50/50) as to the need for chiropractic before (50%) or after (50%) the session.

Because I schedule my appointment book in blocks of time for bodywork, that means that there are occasions that I cannot fit a patient in for chiropractic work on a day or time they have a preference for (of course the same goes for massage), because the timing does not allow for a "quick fix" until 8pm. Since most chiropractic patients want their work in a different time frame (today!) than massage clients, I have had to teach them that they will either have to book in advance like my massage clients, or find another DC to attend to them if they cannot wait. This means that occasionaly some of my patients (and massage clients too) will visit other clinics.

Does that help?



04/02/12 - edited for typo



Yes thanks. I'm surprised. I don't know the exact stats but I would say it least 50% of my patients use a combination of chiropractics and massage.
athletica
Registered Member
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby pueppi on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 am

athletica wrote:Yes thanks. I'm surprised. I don't know the exact stats but I would say it least 50% of my patients use a combination of chiropractics and massage.


Well, I have a pretty defined practice... about 75-80% of my massage clientele come to me for 1 hour specific neck and trap work (...and the co-existing areas). It may also help to know that I do not take insurance. So, that could be part of why my practice is a bit different than what others may see.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
User avatar
pueppi
Registered Member
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 am
Location: Texas / The Lone Star State

Re: Chiropractic treatment before Massage

Postby akashafive on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:03 pm

I had a weekly client whose DC told my client that she HAD to have a massage BEFORE she came for her adjustment because otherwise the DC just couldn't get any movement to happen :lol:
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
User avatar
akashafive
Registered Member
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: NH


Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 0 guests