Using my name as a key word

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Using my name as a key word

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 am

I was just doing a search on my name, which is something I do from time to time just see keep tabs on what has my name attached to online. And a Google ad is showing for one of my competitors for my name search so I click on the link that tells you why you are being shown this ad. And it is because my competitor has my name as one of their keywords :P

I don't know if I should be flatter that I am worth being a keyword search or mad that he is trying to take business from me :irked:
JLWmassage

Re: Using my name as a key word

Postby pueppi on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Is it the same competitor that was stalking you, a year-or-so ago?

If so, make note and a copy of what you found on the internet... it should go in your "I've Been Stalked" file.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 pm

pueppi wrote:Is it the same competitor that was stalking you, a year-or-so ago?

If so, make note and a copy of what you found on the internet... it should go in your "I've Been Stalked" file.

Yup same person. You Google my name "Jessica Weagle" and his ad shows up
JLWmassage

Postby MarionFM on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

What is his site because when I put it in, all the sites seem to refer to you.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I just check and the ad is at the bottom of the page
JLWmassage

Postby Pete on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Is it a pay-per-click ad? Perhaps we should all click it. ;)
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby MarionFM on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

My son told me how to check the keywords and your name does not come up as a keyword on his site. (Not first name nor last name nor both.)

He has Massage West Boylston, but then he has a lot of other place names too.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Pete wrote:Is it a pay-per-click ad? Perhaps we should all click it. ;)

Yup a Pay-pre click ad
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:29 am

I took a screen shot for evidence :smt004
JLWmassage

Postby shivashiva on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:54 pm

MarionFM wrote:My son told me how to check the keywords and your name does not come up as a keyword on his site. (Not first name nor last name nor both.)

He has Massage West Boylston, but then he has a lot of other place names too.

Google adwords keywords are different from just regular keywords. Her competitor is creating an ad and then telling google that when someone searches for her name to show his ad, and he pays for that. This is different from regular google ranking. The ads show up on the side and on the bottom of the page.

I wonder if there is any law against this? It is, after all, illegal to buy a URL that is the name of another person's business and then try to sell it to them for a exorbitant price.

Another option would be for you, Jessica, to do a google adwords account using your name as a keyword and put your bid VERY high, like $5/click. It would cost you some money for whatever clicks you get, but it would cost him MORE. Then he will have to outbid you in order to get his ad to show up. THEN we can all go click the ad. :)
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby MarionFM on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:21 pm

What a scumbag.

Could you let Google know - I don't think they take kindly to things like that.

And, as you have proof, what about letting your local massage board know?
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby pueppi on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:56 pm

shivashiva wrote:Another option would be for you, Jessica, to do a google adwords account using your name as a keyword and put your bid VERY high, like $5/click. It would cost you some money for whatever clicks you get, but it would cost him MORE. Then he will have to outbid you in order to get his ad to show up. THEN we can all go click the ad. :)

If she's going to do that, wouldn't Pete's idea be better? Just wondering... not clicking.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 pm

pueppi wrote:
shivashiva wrote:Another option would be for you, Jessica, to do a google adwords account using your name as a keyword and put your bid VERY high, like $5/click. It would cost you some money for whatever clicks you get, but it would cost him MORE. Then he will have to outbid you in order to get his ad to show up. THEN we can all go click the ad. :)

If she's going to do that, wouldn't Pete's idea be better? Just wondering... not clicking.

It's the same idea. As Pete suggested, we just go click on the competitors ad right now. It would cost him, hypothetically $.50 per click, or whatever he's paying. My idea is that she go create an ad campaign with her name as a keyword. Then their keywords would be in competition. The more people who pay for a keyword, and the more they bid, the more the keyword costs. If she puts in $5.00 as her bid, it will drive the bidding cost up for her competitor. Then his cost per click goes up. Then we go click on the ad and it costs him more money. Pete and I have the same idea. I am suggesting how to make the competitor pay more money for us clicking.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby JaeMarie on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm guessing it's because I have Adblock Plus installed, but I don't see an ad?

:undecided:
JaeMarie

Postby JLWmassage on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:07 am

It just dawned on me that most of you won't see the ad because he probably has he ad set up to show to people who are x number of miles away from his office
JLWmassage

Postby MarionFM on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:47 am

That makes sense as I do not see the ad. Do you not have a regulatory board? It may not be illegal but it sure is unethical.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Pete on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:07 am

I saw it and I'm in California. But, I had to google Jessica Weagle West Boylston to see it.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby JLWmassage on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:52 am

Pete wrote:I saw it and I'm in California. But, I had to google Jessica Weagle West Boylston to see it.

Did you click on his ad a bunch of times :lol:
JLWmassage

Postby peacenut on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Is it the Escape Place??
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.
peacenut
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:48 am

peacenut wrote:Is it the Escape Place??

Yup
JLWmassage

Postby Pete on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 am

JLWmassage wrote:
Pete wrote:I saw it and I'm in California. But, I had to google Jessica Weagle West Boylston to see it.

Did you click on his ad a bunch of times :lol:

I clicked it - that's all I'm saying.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby peacenut on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:09 pm

I think it would be more funny to call these places and ask for an appointment with Jessica. When they say there is not a Jessica there, I would say something like, "well, my friend told me how great she is, and when I searched for her on Google, this place popped up, and I assumed she worked here. Are you sure there isn't a Jessica at one of your other locations?? You are?? Oh, okay... Do you know what her number is?? No?? Is the owner around? Perhaps she is a new hire at one of your other places?? I hear she's really good."
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.
peacenut
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 pm

peacenut wrote:I think it would be more funny to call these places and ask for an appointment with Jessica. When they say there is not a Jessica there, I would say something like, "well, my friend told me how great she is, and when I searched for her on Google, this place popped up, and I assumed she worked here. Are you sure there isn't a Jessica at one of your other locations?? You are?? Oh, okay... Do you know what her number is?? No?? Is the owner around? Perhaps she is a new hire at one of your other places?? I hear she's really good."

That's funny! A friend of mine wanted to do that.
JLWmassage

Postby EgoMagickian on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:43 pm

I don't see how this is unethical (open to being persuaded). If you owned a business that sold Acme Brand Widgets and one of your widget competitors used "Acme widgets" as one of its AdSense keywords, would that be unethical or would that just be business?

So often it seems that our business and our selves are the same things... but they're not... perhaps this is a case of taking personally something that isn't personal? Recommend you feel flattered, then discern what marketing steps you want to take in relationship to this. If you are a fan of competition that probably brings different options to mind than if you prefer to see all bodyworkers (even the misguided ones :) ) as being on the same team as you. Either way, this is an opportunity for you.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby JLWmassage on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:48 pm

I think this a sad business practice. I don't need to use my competitors names as keywords to bring traffic to my site.

I have moved on and have been paying lots of attention on growing my practice for the other MT's in my office.

I am a little flattered that he feels I am that popular of a search in my area to use me as a keyword :lol:
JLWmassage

Next

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas