John Barne's Fireside Chat DVD

MFR practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderators: MarionFM, WaltFritz

John Barne's Fireside Chat DVD

Postby Rubmyster on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 am

Hello all, Happy Easter.
I just got the recent issue of Massage Magazine and there is an ad in it for Barne's new DVD-a fireside chat. I was shocked that it's almost $50.00!
I find it hard to swallow that kind of price when many DVD's that are technique driven are around that price or cheaper.
I've had a hard time with JB's prices when his MFR 1 classes have over 100 students. The one I attended in my area about 9 years ago was disappointing in that there was no way I could learn anything with the TA's sprinting from table to table.
I'm more comfortable in a class of 20-30. Just my 2 cents.
Rubmyster
Rubmyster
Registered Member

Postby WaltFritz on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 am

As a response, though none was requested, there are sufficient enthusiastic members of the "tribe" who would enthusiastically pay for this DVD, as well as recommend it to their clients. Being removed from this particular MFR community for a while now, I see this as a re-hashing of what one hears at a seminar, what one reads in his book(s), and what one reads in the literature available on the his website. This one is simply done by his fire. Heresy for me to say this...not if you are no longer a tribesman.
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program
WaltFritz

Postby maestra on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:53 am

WaltFritz wrote: I see this as a re-hashing of what one hears at a seminar, what one reads in his book(s), and what one reads in the literature available on the his website. This one is simply done by his fire.

That's sort of what I thought it would be, thus why I have not purchased it. The only thought I had on it's creation, was that some people relate to things learned visually better than the written word. Thus I felt it might have to do with that whole "multiple intelligences" thing. ;) :lol:
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Re: John Barne's Fireside Chat DVD

Postby tiger snacks on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 am

I ordered this DVD last week for $20 on Ebay. I was impressed. I'm taking his first seminar this March(2012) so I'm not sure what I'm getting into. After speaking to a Rolfer?Structural Integrator. He basically summed up the DVD like this.

It's a great education tool to learn how the fascial and the body are intertwined, etc. He used to sell it to his clients because it really helped them understand how important the fascia work is and ultimately the dvd reinforced what he(rolfer) was saying all along. Other people always promote us better than we promote ourselves. So basically it's a marketing tool(or can be used that way.)

In other words from another reader,"I love having The Fireside Chat in my office. It is truly an important ‘tool’ for the MFR toolbox. I purchased a small DVD player that I run continuously in the lobby with either the Fireside Chat or “Strolling Under the Skin” playing so that patients can see & hear John in person and/or get an up close and personal view of live fascia! As humans, we have a multitude of senses. Some of us learn better by touch or experiencing touch, some by reading or hearing and some by seeing. "
The world does not pay for your education and knowledge. It pays you for what you DO with that knowledge.

It is not the lawyer who knows his law that wins the case. It is the one that PREPARES his case that wins.
tiger snacks
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 am

tiger snacks wrote:I ordered this DVD last week for $20 on Ebay. I was impressed. I'm taking his first seminar this March(2012) so I'm not sure what I'm getting into. After speaking to a Rolfer?Structural Integrator. He basically summed up the DVD like this.

It's a great education tool to learn how the fascial and the body are intertwined, etc. He used to sell it to his clients because it really helped them understand how important the fascia work is and ultimately the dvd reinforced what he(rolfer) was saying all along. Other people always promote us better than we promote ourselves. So basically it's a marketing tool(or can be used that way.)

In other words from another reader,"I love having The Fireside Chat in my office. It is truly an important ‘tool’ for the MFR toolbox. I purchased a small DVD player that I run continuously in the lobby with either the Fireside Chat or “Strolling Under the Skin” playing so that patients can see & hear John in person and/or get an up close and personal view of live fascia! As humans, we have a multitude of senses. Some of us learn better by touch or experiencing touch, some by reading or hearing and some by seeing. "

I have lost all interest in ever studying with John nor of ever purchasing any of his products. His articles, the videos he's produced that I've seen, his legal battles with other health care professionals, and MANY stories related to me by people that have studied with him... together, they add up to a sum that I'd rather not be associated with. More recently, his response to a comment I posted online was unprofessional and personally insulting.

There are MANY other MFR instructors that teach excellent classes. I have studied with some of them, but not yet all of the ones I would like to. My favorites are the ones who continuously update what they teach to reflect recent changes in the scientific literature. Even when their methods remain the same, they change their explanations and encourage their students to go beyond what they are currently teaching.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby EgoMagickian on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:19 pm

JasonE wrote:There are MANY other MFR instructors that teach excellent classes. I have studied with some of them, but not yet all of the ones I would like to.

Curious to know who's on your list.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby pueppi on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:50 am

JasonE wrote:... together, they add up to a sum that I'd rather not be associated with. More recently, his response to a comment I posted online was unprofessional and personally insulting.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, since I just got a new bit of paperwork in the mail the other day, and it seems not much has changed:

pueppi wrote:from the thread: John Barnes, PT - Myofascial Release

OK, so I'll tell you my reason for not wanting to take the JB seminars up to this point.

This may sound stupid, but I don't like the smugness Mr. Barnes appears to exude on the covers of the phamplets that I receive. What can I say. The picture rubs me the wrong way.

:undecided:
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby WaltFritz on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 am

Jason,

While I by no means consider myself up on the latest science, I am honest with the therapists who take my trainings. The science boat has really yet to land when it comes to fascia proof. Much of what is being reported and written about from the folks at the Fascia Congress relates to the principles of Rolfing/SI, which while they seem quite similar, have some basic differences that should not allow a transfer of proof from Rolfing to MFR as I know it. As a result, I tell therapist that at this time there is no consensus on how this works, so why should I stand there and knowingly try to deceive them I do tell the the theory of mechanical change, as well as the newer theories of neurological change, but I treat it all as theory. To stand in front of smart people and attempt to lead them on with nonsense gibberish of quantum physics explanations is absurd. But some continue to do so.
WaltFritz

Postby JasonE on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 pm

WaltFritz wrote:Jason,

While I by no means consider myself up on the latest science, I am honest with the therapists who take my trainings. The science boat has really yet to land when it comes to fascia proof. Much of what is being reported and written about from the folks at the Fascia Congress relates to the principles of Rolfing/SI, which while they seem quite similar, have some basic differences that should not allow a transfer of proof from Rolfing to MFR as I know it. As a result, I tell therapist that at this time there is no consensus on how this works, so why should I stand there and knowingly try to deceive them I do tell the the theory of mechanical change, as well as the newer theories of neurological change, but I treat it all as theory. To stand in front of smart people and attempt to lead them on with nonsense gibberish of quantum physics explanations is absurd. But some continue to do so.

And that's why you are one of the few MFR instructors I'd like to study with, Walt!
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby WaltFritz on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks, Jason!

To further elaborate, what is little known is exactly what is happening under our hands and what is driving this. Fascia science certainly includes the nervous system, but it appears to be driven from a perspective of how the nervous system innervates fascia and how this may be responsible for change. This is all good and will add to the greater body of knowledge. But if you could step back from seeing fascia as "all-important" and ask what is really driving the changes, you ,may see that it is something more simple. Maybe the nervous system itself. I'm not making a lot of friends with these thoughts, but heck, there are always new friends to make!
WaltFritz

Return to MFR Business, Marketing, Products and Ethics