Anne McCaffrey has passed away

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

Anne McCaffrey has passed away

Postby Rozax on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Anne McCaffrey: April 1, 1926 - November 21, 2011
BY DPOMERICO ON NOVEMBER 22, 2011
"It is with great sadness that Del Rey Books and Random House report the passing of beloved author Anne McCaffrey. Anne McCaffrey was best known for her award-winning and immensely popular Dragonriders of Pern® novels. McCaffrey died at her home in Ireland on November 21st shortly after suffering a stroke. She was 85 years old. She is survived by her two sons and daughter. We will provide more information as we receive it from Anne’s family."
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Re: Anne McCaffrey has passed away

Postby Rozax on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:36 pm

I've been a fan of her books since middle school, where I first read the short story "The Smallest Dragonboy" and then picked up The Harper Hall trilogy.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:00 pm

So sorry to hear of her passing. I've been a fan of hers since reading her novels back in school - oh so many years ago - and read her Dragonsong & Dragonsinger books to my daughter when she was just 8 or so.

Always felt her stories would have made a wonderful movie series!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby akashafive on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:33 am

I had been dreading this day for so long. Anne McCaffrey was my absolute favorite author. I started reading her books somewhat accidently, in middle school when my class was required to check out a book. I grabbed "The White Dragon" off a spinner because of the pretty cover! :lol: Then I discovered my father had several more of her books and he of course told me I had to start with the first one and I've been hooked ever since.

I used to spend my free time drawing the dragons off the covers freehand (had lots of requests from boys for those pictures ;) ) When her son Todd started to take over the reigns, I lost interest but maybe his writing has improved a bit by now. I am in the process of collecting her Pern series in hardcover and can't wait to share her worlds with my future children. Truly a woman with a wonderful vision and I still am hopeful someone will have the skill to put it on the big screen as it should be (if they can't do it right, they shouldn't do it at all!).
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
akashafive
Registered Member

Postby Rozax on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:47 am

akashafive wrote:(if they can't do it right, they shouldn't do it at all!).

Very much agreed. There's this company that I heard of who was apparently approved for making the film adaptation, but when I saw the title "Young People F***ing" in their repertoire, I lost faith. Since nothing has come of it, I'm guessing it was just idle chat among people a little higher up in the chain.

I've kinda been expecting this since Todd started co-writing, but I agree, it doesn't make it any better to deal with. I'm glad he has his own style, rather than trying to mimic his mother; it just wouldn't work. I've only read "Dragon's Kin", but I plan on picking up a few more of his books in the future. I'm still on the fence concerning his talent and style.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby katamay on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:49 pm

I read so many of her books when I was between the ages of 13 and 16. Started with Pern and branched out from there. Although I moved on after that, I have a lot of great memories of her writing! I hope they mark her grave with a dragon. :)

Kat
On my way ... LMT or Bust! http://lmtorbust.com
katamay
Registered Member

Postby Rozax on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:47 pm

I just gifted "The Harper Hall" (in one binding!) to a friend of mine. She's going through a rough time, and this is the trilogy that always lifts my spirits. "Nerilka's Story", though tragic up to the conclusion, also makes me feel better. :)
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Return to Off the Table Topics