Looking into MT

BWOL is a board group for professional practitioners. This section is the ONLY PLACE allocated for clients to post and ask questions about massage and related items. -- INAPPROPRIATE POSTS WILL BE DELETED & TROLLS WILL BE BANNED FROM THE FORUM.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Looking into MT

Postby rundy on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 am

Hi!!

My name is Brian and I'm looking into massage therapy. I'm male 6'9" and about about 225lbs. The reason I say this is because some people have told me that I'm to tall to do this and will have back problems from bending over. I'm going to be 34 soon as well. I have very powerful hands and at the same time they are very gentle to the body.

I love to help people and I am obsessed with massage therapy and aromatherapy. I have learned alot of techniques and tricks over the last 16 months now and I have got great feedback. I even have friends and friends of friends whom actually request them now and pay me for it. I'm not licensed but would like to get that to expand my knowledge and client base. I would really like to get hands on learning lessons on reflexology, swedish massage, lymphatic massage. I'm a huge IT geek when it comes to real life work, however I need a change and want to do something and feel like I am making a difference in someones life.

Do you think it is possible to learn these techniques for a licensed MT and practice them on people thatI care about? Or would I be better off spending a ton of money and get licensed?

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks and have a blessed day!
rundy
Fresh Hands

Re: Looking into MT

Postby Pete on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Brian - Welcome to BWOL!

First off - don't let the naysayers hold you back from pursuing massage as a career or even a hobby. Before I entered massage school, many people tried to discourage me under the guise of looking out for my best interests. I am now 10 years out of school and have built a successful full-time practice.

If you are planning on charging money for massage, I would strongly recommend being "legit" in your practice. That means getting and maintaining whatever training and licensing required by the governing body where you intend to practice.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby Rozax on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:21 am

rundy wrote:I have very powerful hands and at the same time they are very gentle to the body.

I've gotta agree with Pete; don't let the naysayers getcha down. Seeing as table heights can be adjusted, your back will be just fine. If you have smaller clients for whom this would be a problem, get a step stool for them to get on the table. No joke; I've seen it done.

As for the part I've quoted, you'll find that your hands are only a fraction of the practice. People often ask me, "Don't your hands get tired?" but you put your entire body into it. I'd think being 6'9 would only give you more leverage with which to work, and a wider base for clientele. If you ever wanted to work on an NFL linebacker, with training and experience, you'd fit the bill. If your age is a concern at all, one of my classmates was 67. Find your nearest ideal, accredited MT school and follow your passion. :)
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Rozax wrote:
rundy wrote:I have very powerful hands and at the same time they are very gentle to the body.

I've gotta agree with Pete; don't let the naysayers getcha down. Seeing as table heights can be adjusted, your back will be just fine. If you have smaller clients for whom this would be a problem, get a step stool for them to get on the table. No joke; I've seen it done.

As for the part I've quoted, you'll find that your hands are only a fraction of the practice. People often ask me, "Don't your hands get tired?" but you put your entire body into it. I'd think being 6'9 would only give you more leverage with which to work, and a wider base for clientele. If you ever wanted to work on an NFL linebacker, with training and experience, you'd fit the bill. If your age is a concern at all, one of my classmates was 67. Find your nearest ideal, accredited MT school and follow your passion. :)

I know of some extremely tall MTs who have extra-tall massage tables and chairs that make it easier for them to have good body mechanics. Also, methods such as Active Isolated Stretching are body-friendly no matter your size. The founder of AIS was 6'9" when he was younger, and is still going strong after 40-some years of doing manual therapy. The wise MT learns to use what he/she has to best advantage.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Return to Clients Talk About Massage