Sharing google calendar with spouse

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Sharing google calendar with spouse

Postby Massagegirl22 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:00 am

My husband and I are trying to become more technical together. I was wondering if there is an issue sharing my google calendar with him that has my client names and appointment times? Any thoughts on this. I did not see anything in HIPPA but want to make sure.
Massagegirl22
Fresh Hands

Re: Sharing google calendar with spouse

Postby Taoist on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:01 am

My husband and I (as well as 3 other therapists) share a Google calendar. It would be exactly the same as a paper calendar or an online booking client for a multi practitioner office- all you have is their contact information, not any other personal or health-related info as that should all be on an intake form.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby Massagegirl22 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:24 am

I should add that my husband is not in the health field, but we are just trying to coordinate for child care.
Massagegirl22
Fresh Hands

Postby Pete on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:37 am

I wouldn't share my clients' info with anyone (not even a spouse) - not even just the clients' names (much less any other info). With Google Calendar, you are able to hide the details while still allowing your husband to see the time you have blocked out as "busy."
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby Taoist on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am

ARE there possible violations of doing this? :undecided:
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby Pete on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Taoist wrote:ARE there possible violations of doing this? :undecided:

It is possible that sharing your calendar WITH names visible would be a HIPAA violation...however, if none of the details are being shared (just the blocked out segments of time show) there is no violation.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby Massagegirl22 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Can you please let me know where in the hippa regulations it talks about that.

Thank you
Massagegirl22
Fresh Hands

Postby JasonE on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Massagegirl22 wrote:Can you please let me know where in the hippa regulations it talks about that.

Thank you

A clients name is protected information and subject to confidentiality.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:02 am

How does this work in ERs with curtained cubicles? And in the drugstore where they call out your name when your script is ready?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Postby Rozax on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:02 am

You can just block the times off on your google calendar, letting your husband know that you're with clients at the time, and keep a separate calendar with the specifics. Google makes it easy enough to handle. It just takes a little play and practice.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby Rozax on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:05 am

tranquilspirit2006 wrote:And in the drugstore where they call out your name when your script is ready?

That really cheeses me off. I glared at this pharmacy tech for calling off my name and asking, "You're taking [prescription]?" Excuse me?? That little "privacy line" isn't sound-proof! I regret not filing a complaint. It was a while ago, but I wonder if I could still make a note of it with the pharmacy.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby Taoist on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 am

tranquilspirit2006 wrote:How does this work in ERs with curtained cubicles? And in the drugstore where they call out your name when your script is ready?

This particular topic (google calendar) deals more specifically with electronic information. I see what you're saying, but from what I understand there are a completely different set of rules for electronic PI vs. non-electronic.
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas