Need CE ideas .. burnt out on swedish and DT!

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

Need CE ideas .. burnt out on swedish and DT!

Postby bellarosamassage on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:03 pm

I am looking for ideas for my CE's. I Have been doing nothing but regular swedish and Deep Tissue for 3 years now and I am bored and physically drained.. Is there anything out there that isn't so physical or at least more enjoyable? Help! I was thinking Accupressure (is that in the massage scope?), Reiki??
bellarosamassage
Fresh Hands

Re: Need CE ideas .. burnt out on swedish and DT!

Postby shivashiva on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:27 pm

there's tons! Crainiosacral, lymphatic drainage, hot stone, shiatsu, thai massage, ashiatsu,

I personally love facial massage, and ayurvedic bodywork (abhyanga, shirodhara) for my "less demanding" techniques. They are demanding, but in very different ways. I find the best for me is to mix it up so I am using my body in different ways and my mind as well.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:48 am

You might also want to consider adding energetic work to your services: Reflexology, Reiki, Jin Shin Jyutsu, Guided Meditation to name a few! Good Luck!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby stonegirl on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:19 am

Ashiatsu Oriental Bar Therapy is awesome - it's fun, and a great way to deliver deep work without hurting the therapist.
www.deepfeet.com.

There are tons of awesome techniques you can add in to mix it up and keep your work interesting!
stonegirl

Postby pueppi on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:07 am

Here's a list of Excellent CEU Courses. Even if they aren't in your area, maybe they'll give you some ideas.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells ...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:50 pm

I've taken 4 seminars this year in Thai massage and while it is physically demanding, it is demanding in a very different way than swedish or DT.

I highly recomment Universal Touch

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby athletica on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:39 pm

If your focus is primarily injury treatments I highly recommend Integrative Diagnosis.
athletica
Registered Member

Postby Sandy 10-4 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:10 pm

What aspect of your work do you enjoy the most? One thing I love about this field even after 15 years in practice is how much variety and richness there is in terms of how we can practice it. I have gone from general swedish to reiki to crazy sports massage events that work you like a dog for a week at a time, and now my focus is on holistic bodywork that integrates mindfulness, some processing and lots of collaboration with the client. Fun CEU's that feel like play are the best in my book. What do you love? There is so much freedom within the structure of our scope of practice and our ethical bounds. What you love today might change tomorrow but I have always gotten far with experimentation, curiosity and play.
Sandy 10-4
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm taking a Thai Foot Reflexology course in a few months... :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells ...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:50 pm

pueppi wrote:I'm taking a Thai Foot Reflexology course in a few months... :)

Who are you taking it from? I did mine with Karen Ball and she was an amazing instructor!

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby pueppi on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 pm

moogie wrote:
pueppi wrote:I'm taking a Thai Foot Reflexology course in a few months... :)

Who are you taking it from? I did mine with Karen Ball and she was an amazing instructor!

Angie

Karn Ball, too. Thanks for the positive reply. I'll PM you for some insight. :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 pm

bellarosamassage wrote:I am looking for ideas for my CE's. I Have been doing nothing but regular swedish and Deep Tissue for 3 years now and I am bored and physically drained.. Is there anything out there that isn't so physical or at least more enjoyable? Help! I was thinking Accupressure (is that in the massage scope?), Reiki??

If you want to do work that is less physical, more enjoyable, and effective, then I recommend:

Active Isolated Stretching - www.AISfitness.com or www.StretchingUSA.com for info on the method and seminar dates. The Active Isolated Stretching Practitioners page on Facebook has a lot of good info and links to videos about AIS. This method has the advantage of enabling you to work effectively with clothed clients and to give them useful, active homework to complement whatever massage work you've done with them.

Positional Release Technique - There are many versions, but the best, most in-depth training are the Strain Counterstrain classes available from the Jones Institute. This is very easy on both MT and client, and can be done with the client clothed or not. I use it all the time, including some conditions for which massage may otherwise be contraindicated.

Dermoneuromodulation - A good page for info on this is www.DNMseminar.info - that seminar is done now (I attended), but the links to the info are still good. The instructor has agreed to teach another USA seminar in 2013, but I think she's booked for the rest of this year. DNM is extremely gently on both MT and client, and is incredibly adaptable and effective for a wide range of conditions, including many for which massage is usually contraindicated. I also love that it is very science-based and is constantly updated to reflect current research.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Return to CEU's