Need ideas for spa treatments within limitations.

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

Need ideas for spa treatments within limitations.

Postby MichelleTX on Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:50 am

I'm looking for some spa treatments to add to the menu. (I'm currently just offering Swedish massage)  I need to work within the limitations of:

a) no shower and

b) only cold running water, which is located in the only public restroom.  (The owner informs me that it would've been several thousand dollars extra to install hot water and it wasn't a priority when they opened)

Most of the salt scrub and other treatments that I'm interested in trying don't seem very feasible, since we don't have a shower available for the clients to use afterwards.

Several clients have asked about hot stone massage, which I haven't done but am willing to learn.  However, I don't feel the stones would be very sanitary after having been washed in cold water.  I'm not going to put something on someone's body that I wouldn't want on my own body.  I'm also not willing to cart a heavy pile of stones home each time to wash properly in my kitchen sink.

Any creative suggestions?
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: breaks
MichelleTX
Registered Member

Re: Need ideas for spa treatments within limitatio

Postby crystal jones on Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:55 am

I usually crank up my roaster/crock pot to the max and boil the stones for 1 hour usually during my last appointment without stones.  Just add dish detg. and boil away.  It works wonders, nothing can survive boiling for 1 hour ;D
crystal jones

Postby Joe_E on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:08 pm

Michelle, I think you can do a salt scrub treatment.  You may need a few hot towels.  I found that when I was in private practice things seemed impossible because of the shower situation but then I got a hot cab and wet/hot towels make a big difference.  They also make a big amount of laundry but that's the trade off.  Try a low oil scrub mixed with water and put a towel down to catch the salt.  See how it works and let us know.  Good luck.  Joe E.
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_E
Registered Member

Postby sagetherapist on Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:17 am

How about using exfoliating gloves with a hot aromatherpy mix instead of a salt or sugar scrub? Use steamed towels (from a crock pot, hot towel cabby, steamer, etc) to "drag" off the oils, and then apply a cool aloe gel (lots of them on the market & in Walgreens, etc,... keep it cool in a pitcher of ice) & finish with an uplifting citrusy lotion massage?

One question:  how can a public restroom NOT have hot running water? Isn't that a basic hygeine requirement? My Lord! Hope they at least offer antibacterial soap? Can you imagine how many people will opt not to wash (or wash thoroughly) when they find there is only cold water? (esp in winter?) Have them at least put hand sanitizer out! Personally, I wouldn't even touch the door handle there.

Try exerting a little pressure on the owners to make some amends to the situation, for everyone's sake.

Jill/Sagetherapist
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby Joe_E on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:07 pm

I don't want to start a big deal about this post but Jill's post got me thinking.  Are you sure the building is zoned for your practice?  It would seem that if he legally can not provide hot water, it may be very specially zoned which I doubt.  Hence, you should be able to get some hot water by speaking with him or an anonymous call to the the local health board if he's a jerk about it.

With the addition of hot water, you could do all sort of things.  Good luck.

Joe E.
Joe_E
Registered Member

Postby MichelleTX on Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:17 pm

One question:  how can a public restroom NOT have hot running water? Isn't that a basic hygeine requirement? My Lord! Hope they at least offer antibacterial soap? Can you imagine how many people will opt not to wash (or wash thoroughly) when they find there is only cold water? (esp in winter?) Have them at least put hand sanitizer out! Personally, I wouldn't even touch the door handle there.

I agree completely.  I always thought it was a legal requirement of public restrooms, too.  I'm personally a big fan of lots of very hot soapy water.  I almost refused the job when I went to wash my hands for the "interview massage" and discovered only cold water.  I keep lots of hand sanitizer in my massage room so it's always available for my clients.  Here in Houston, you'd be surprised how many public restrooms (even in restaurants!) aren't supplied with any hot water.  I've never seen anything like it, anywhere I've ever lived before.  Maybe people sort of get numb to the idea after a while and don't realize how important it is?  I don't know, I just know I don't like it.

I may not be able to convince her that hot water is a much needed investment.  If not, I can always go work somewhere else or work for myself.

In the meantime, I'm really appreciating all of the ideas everyone is adding to the discussion!
MichelleTX
Registered Member

Postby Joe_E on Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:55 am

Michelle, you've got the right idea.  Just protect yourself and your clients and you can't expect much more than that.  Good luck with what you decide and if you add any treatments, let us know how they work out.  

Joe E.
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_E
Registered Member

Postby kai on Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:07 pm

Jill,

Can you elaborate some more on the amoratherapy mix that you suggested?  Figure it is oil based.  
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
kai
Fresh Hands

Postby sagetherapist on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:15 am

Sure,..
You can use any blend that you find appealing, or have a couple of different ones available & let the client choose.

I make my own, adding about a total of 40 drops to an 8 ounce bottle of refined coconut oil (or lotion). I have a signature blend that I use for 95%of my treatments. It's 6-8 drops each of lavender, chamomile, rosemary, geranium, grapefruit & 3-4 drops of peppermint. It's very balancing; each oil chosen for their particular properties and the effect they can have when paired together. I'm trying a new blend (haven't done it yet, so don't know how it will turn out) of 3 parts clary sage, 2 parts lemon and 1 part jasmine. I am seeking a calming blend for winding down.

For the heated exfoliating part of the treatment, I warm the oils & use exfoliating mitts or gloves. You can use scrubbies, but I like the gloves... I just peel them off & throw them in the laundry with my linens. I have a few pairs in the office always clean & ready to go.
Jill/Sagetherapist
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby MichelleTX on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:15 pm

OK, I have effectively removed limitation #2.  I just got home from signing a lease for a new office space!  Still no shower, but I've got a sink (yeah, WITH hot water) right in the room.  I'm so excited.  :) :D ;D
MichelleTX
Registered Member

Postby sagetherapist on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:00 am

Congratulations, Michelle.
I hope you love your new space. I don't have a shower either, but do have a sink in my room. Very handy.
Take care,
Jill/Sagetherapist
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:24 pm

Way to go Michelle, sounds like you're a go to girl!
I wish you well in your new location! :D
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby kai on Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:43 pm

Best of luck Michelle!!

Jill thanks for the info.  BTW where/how did you learn about the use of essential oils.  It is something I'm thinking about exploring.  I really enjoy using EOs and the results are very rewarding.
kai
Fresh Hands

Postby sagetherapist on Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:43 am

I always have my nose in the aromatherapy books & am always experimenting with different blends (for their effectiveness and their blended aromas). I'm sure there are great classes out there. I just like the alchemy. I'm careful to research contraindications, etc. And I always have 'plain jane' oils and lotions for my clients who prefer it that way.

Sometimes I'm inspired by something I see at a store (like Bath & Bodyworks or Casual Corner!! believe it or not). Casual Corner had a beautiful fragrance spray called jasmine lime that was so wonderful... it has me thinking and mixing!

Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby GracieSpa on Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:50 pm

Just curious, what brands of essential oils does everyone prefer?
GracieSpa

Postby maestra on Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:44 pm

I use the Young Living Essential Oils mostly. I have a couple other Tisserand oils though.

Inspired by Jill/Sagetherapist I made a new massage oil blend last night. It's 20 drops sage, 15 lavender and 10 drops peppermint added to my regular massage oil.
It's received rave reviews today! My clients and the salon staff loved it.
Like Jill though, I like playing "chemist" and experimenting with the oils. I read up on their contraindications and the traits each oil is known for and then try to mix a blend of oils which is complimentary to each other. This blend seems to be a good one.
I've also purchased a few 2 oz atomizers (small spray bottles) from Wal-Mart and fill them with purified water and then adding some essential oils.  Give a good shake and then spritz into the air.
I have a lemon-lime one that I use for times when I am tired or to purify the air between sessions. I have a lemon/lime massage oil blend also.
I also have one scented with Young Living Essential Oil's blend "Release." I pair it with a massage oil I have scented with the same oil blend. It really mellows people out quickly.
I would like to have more "matching or complimentary" atomizers and massage oils.
I have a geranium/pathchouli massage oil blend that is great for dry skin in winter. It tends to leave their skin soft as velvet...
And my Lavender/Marjoram is particularly good for those who want stress relief. The added benefit is it contains no rosemary or peppermint both of which one should be careful with using on people with High Blood Pressure or Pregnant according to the essential oil references I have found.
I think I would like to take a course in aromatherapy sometime. Have you considered that Jill?
It's important to note that both the client and the therapist absorb the essential oils during these sessions. So make sure what you have is safe for everybody....
Last edited by GreenDragonfly on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Sherri_R on Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:48 pm

Are there any mud wraps you can do without a shower.  A salt scrub is also great as long as you have a roaster and hot towels.  Make sure to get all the salt and leave a towel for afterwards.  I just had one done and it was great.  Although I feel a massage would have topped it off.
Sherri_R
Registered Member

Postby healthytouch on Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:23 am

sagetherapist,

What kind of oil mix would you use and how much would you charge for that treatment?

healthytouch
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Connie S.
healthytouch
Fresh Hands

Postby Tom Blanchard on Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:55 am

Do a search for info on the Parafango wrap Also available at Massage Warehouse).  They will send you a demo tape that explains the process.  I use it with my Mobile Service.  No shower necessary.

Good Luck

TOM
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Blanchard

Postby Joe_E on Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:43 am

Tom, can you tell us a little more about this Mobile Service you offer?  What does it entail exactly?  The logistics? What you offer?  If and how you market it differently than your regular practice, if in fact it is different than your regular practice?  If you don't mind.  Thanks, Joe E.
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_E
Registered Member

Postby Tom Blanchard on Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:51 am

I don't know where else to post this since it's a reply to a question by Joe E, but here goes:

I offer a Mobile Massage Therapist service to an area of three counties in Virginia.  I have a Jeep Grande Cherokee that I carry all of my equipment in: Table, Massage Chair, a roll-away bag with towels and linens and my Body Cushion.   I plan to soon have a portable aromatherapy steam capsule also.  I carry  a wooden "TV" tray that fits in my table bag so I don't have to use the client's furniture.

If a client wants a spa treatment such as a Parafango wrap or hot stones, I carry that equipment also.  Most of the time, a regular massage set-up takes only about five minutes, take-down about ten.  

I don't have an office right now.  I went on active duty with the Army for two years and was not licensed in Florida.  I decided this was the best way to re-build clientelle with a minimum of cost while still on active duty back home in Virginia.

So far it's worked out okay with webpages, and hand-outs in the area.  I also had the car professionally lettered and get calls from that.
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Blanchard

Postby Joe_E on Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:19 am

Wow, Tom, that's a lot of equipment.  So basically, you're offering everything a client could get at a brick and mortar spa but you bring it to them.  I give you a lot of credit.  I'm so lazy about outcalls that I offer deep discounts to existing clients that buy their own tables so I don't have to carry mine from the car.  Of course, I end up buying it for them but then I just have to set up when I get there.  

I think your concept is great, especially if there isn't a lot of competition that could under-cut your prices by having a store-front.  Thanks for responding and good luck with your venture.  It's so interesting to see how other therapists find their niche in their individual marketplaces.  Thanks again, Joe E.
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_E
Registered Member

Postby Texas-gal on Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:30 pm

I was looking for a seawed wrap that I recall does not need a shower to complete.  I think this is the product, but it doesn't look like the site I recall.  I searched "no water, no shower, wraps".
*inactive url removed*

Ameriwrap Body Wrap Benefits:
1. Immediate Inch Loss with Body Wrap
2. Firms & Smoothes Skin Texture & Skin
3. Aids in the Elimination of Toxins
4. No Mess, No Shower Needed

`````````````````````````````````````````

While looking I came across this salon website where they provide a Novita Paramedical Wrap which does not require a shower)-
http://www.finalcutdallas.com/bodywrap.htm

which led me to this one:

http://webbeautystore.com/novita.html
Silhouette Body Treatments
Detoxify and reduce the appearance of cellulite in an all-natural system that is easy to learn, profitable and very effective. No shower or wet room required. The system is based on four basic principles: detoxification, cleansing, nourishment, and exersise.

`````````````````````````````````````````

And this one: (note: this spa page does have a naked woman on it - she's covered in mud, but still, for those concerned, parental guidance is suggested)

http://www.janssen-beauty.com/paradise.htm

CRYOGENIC (PEEL OFF) ALGINATE "ARCTIC"

Peel Off Alginate Arctic is a unique alginate mask for slimming and firming treatments. Thanks to the action of menthol, a cold and stimulating effect is achieved during the treatment. Spirulina is, amongst the freshwater seaweeds, the species presenting the highest level of amino acids and proteins. These compounds stimulate the cell vitality of the firming tissues. The Peel Off Alginate Arctic mask gives an instantaneous toning and renewing feel. The effects are immediate and last for a few days. The mask is much easier to take off, no messy showers or towels.

````````````````````````````````````
And as mentioned before, there is Parafango.
*inactive url removed*

````````````````````````````````````

And last, I believe Cos Medical has a wrap that does not need shower facilities either.

*inactive url removed*

Hope this gives you a few more to work with.  :)
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: inactive url removed
Texas-gal

Postby natalie on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:58 pm

an easy treatment that does not take much effort at all. At the small spa i work at we use an aloe vera wrap. Epicurin sells aloe gel and all we do is rub it on the client and wrap them in the sheets. no real clean up at all. it takes about 10-15 min  to  apply the gel and a scalp rub while they soak for another 15min (total time 25-30 min)
sorry i cant spell
natalie
Registered Member

Postby MIThearpist on Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:05 pm

The Aloe Vera wrap sounds interesting but i have a couple of questions about it....
Does the aloe vera wrap do anything other then sooth the skin? How do you "sell" it to the clients? And how much would you charge for something like that?

Morgan ;D
Last edited by ccMarie on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone who thinks sunshine is pure happinness has never danced in the rain
MIThearpist
Fresh Hands

Next

Return to Spa Techniques