National Board Examination

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

National Board Examination

Postby greenhaze113 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:45 am

Hello everyone! It has been awhile since my last post, but I have just Graduated and am preparing to go and take the National. I have spoken to a few of my previous classmates that have already graduated and taken their test. They were very surprised to see that the practice exams that our school had us taking to prepare us for the test, were not much help when the time came. I have the "Success in Massage Therapy" book, that we were told would help better prepare us (but my former classmates disagree) , the textbook that was given to us in our National Review class, and I am taking the practice tests at massage exam.com. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and I am now having major anxiety on the thought of taking the test and failing. Does anyone have an idea of where and/or what we need to focus on to pass this test?
greenhaze113
Fresh Hands

Re: National Board Examination

Postby squash_blsm on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Back when I took it they had a FREE practice exam on their site - now it's $20.
http://www.ncbtmb.org/applicants_study_aids.php
But probably money well spent if you are nervous.

A classmate had purchased the study guide, and he very kindly let me borrow it during my review. It was very helpful - that costs $30.

Unfortunately, you have to be prepared for anything...the test doesn't focus on any ONE thing. The NCE will have a certain number of questions in each category - in the applicants guide they pretty much tell you that.

Don't wait too long to take it. Go over all of your material and class tests plus any other resources that you decide to invest in. I would lean towards the study aids offered by NCTMB (if that is the exam you will be taking).
Have a study plan in place, review every day....and breathe. :D
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby greenhaze113 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Thank you! I will get on their website and get that test.
greenhaze113
Fresh Hands

Postby Phantomwater on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:36 pm

I paid for the one on NCBTMB, it was helpful. However, I think the resource that I found most useful was a website called massageprep. They have tutorials, practice exams, and ten full National exams. The questions are very similar to what I encountered on the certification exam, perhaps it would prove useful to you as well. Best of luck on the test!
Phantomwater
Fresh Hands

Postby squash_blsm on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:54 am

Phantomwater wrote:I paid for the one on NCBTMB, it was helpful. However, I think the resource that I found most useful was a website called massageprep. They have tutorials, practice exams, and ten full National exams. The questions are very similar to what I encountered on the certification exam, perhaps it would prove useful to you as well. Best of luck on the test!

That's great that you have personal experience with another resource!

Pricing on this one looks like $49-$129. That's pretty reasonable...especially when there are exam prep courses that are twice that amount.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby Phantomwater on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 am

squash_blsm wrote:Pricing on this one looks like $49-$129. That's pretty reasonable...especially when there are exam prep courses that are twice that amount.

:D I was able to split the cost with another student and we shared it. To me it was worth every cent! When I paid for it they had a guarantee that you would pass, but I am uncertain if they still do. If you split the cost obviously only the one who registers would get that guarantee, but that's a pretty nice offer!
Phantomwater
Fresh Hands

Return to Student Forum