Looking for a few MT's to donate massage for a tour:

A forum dedicated to practitioners seeking other practitioner referrals for clients. This forum is especially beneficial when a client is moving.

Moderator: maestra

Looking for a few MT's to donate massage for a tour:

Postby pueppi on Sun May 29, 2011 12:33 pm

I know two wonderful musicians, who are travelling right now. If you might be interested in being availiable to donate a massage or two in their direction, I'll try to put it together.

I saw them while they were in Houston, and they are nothing but pleasant and appreciative people. :)

Because of the tour, it is very difficult to make something work. We tried last year and couldn't make a fit. And, you'd need to be somwhat flexible by an hour or so in timing, as sometimes arriving right on time is not an exact science due to the travel obligations.

BTW, I am the one who came up with the idea of getting others to donate their time. I told them I'd see what I might be able to come up with in terms of therapist donating their time. My thoughts, not their request. They are not the type to ever ask.

Here's a list of the current dates, in case you may be interested, with US & Canadian dates. Please PM me.

• Fri, 03 Jun Bethlehem, PA
  • Sat, 04 Jun - Middleton, NY
  • Fri, 10 Jun - Stanhope, NJ
  • Sun, 10 Jul - Syracuse, NY
  • Thu, 14 Jul - Nashville, TN
  • Sat, 23 Jul - Atlanta, GA
  • Fri, 05 Aug - Bethlehem, PA
  • Sat, 06 Aug - Rochester, NY
  • Sat, 13 Aug - Duluth, MN
  • Sat, 13 Aug - St. Paul, MN
  • Wed, 17 Aug - Denver, CO
  • Sat, 20 Aug - Redstone, CO
  • Sun, 25 Sep - Asbury Park, NJ
  • Fri, 14 Oct - Strathcona County, AB, CA
  • Sat, 15 Oct - Cochrane, AB, CA
  • Sun, 16 Oct - Airdrie, AB, CA
  • Sat, 22 Oct - Turner Valley, AB, CA
  • Sat, 05 Nov - Duncan, OK
  • Thu, 17 Nov - Kirkland Lake, ON, CA
  • Fri, 18 Nov - Keswick, ON, CA

You won't get anything in particular from this donation of time. No wonderful name-brand referrals or glory, but it's nice knowing you helped someone who can use the bodywork. Let me know if you are interested!
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Looking for a few MT's to donate massage for a tour:

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue May 31, 2011 6:55 am

Why should anyone donate time to travelling musicians?

Why do you think this is appropriate?

Do you know any travelling CPAs that could donate their time to me? I could sure use the accounting work and would be very appreciative.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby Ankur on Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 am

I agree....why would you think that donating massages would be ok? Are they doing the tour for free? We already get asked to do free chair massages by companies trying to promote wellness to the employees, free reiki sessions to cancer patients, free scalp massages by salon owners.....If we keep catering to "free", how are people supposed to view us as a respectable industry where all of us do need to make a living as well?
Ankur
Fresh Hands

Postby Taoist on Tue May 31, 2011 2:18 pm

I don't see any problem with asking. If you don't want to do it, don't respond :)
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue May 31, 2011 4:51 pm

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:Do you know any travelling CPAs that could donate their time to me? I could sure use the accounting work and would be very appreciative.

Nope, I don't. Possibly I haven't been impressed enough by you to encourage someone to donate their time to you. :P

No one has to donate. I asked that if anyone was interested they were welcome to PM me and I'd try to help set things up.

Personally, I do donate massage to people who are special to me from time to time, and in this particular situation, I think it is for good people and it helped me out too. How often does one get to work on a true musicians body? Guitar and piano can cause issues other jobs do not, and it's nice to get the chance to see this first-hand. I learn by touch, and, I really like these particular people - so, it was my gift to them for making music I love. I even bought them cupcakes. :) Because I wanted to and it made me feel good. If you don't like it, that's ok by me.

Luckily, I have had the opportunity to work on a number of musicians (even been security checked for the extravagant ones) over the years, so my knowledge of their particular needs has grown with each one I have worked with. I have never donated to a musician until now. This was truly from the heart.

If you don't want to, feel free to ignore the request. There's certainly no expectation attached to this thread. I doubt anyone will be interested, but it's been put out there if someone is.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 am

pueppi wrote: How often does one get to work on a true musicians body?

What makes musicians so special to work on...you make it sound like it is some kind of honor.

How often does someone get to work on a true millionaire's body? I know many that would love a free massage, but I am not here asking others to donate services so they can have this honor.

pueppi wrote: Guitar and piano can cause issues other jobs do not, and it's nice to get the chance to see this first-hand.

Going to war tends to screw up the mind and body like no other job --- must have missed your plea for donating massages for returning veterans.

pueppi wrote: This was truly from the heart.

No, it was truly from YOUR heart. Instead of buying them cupcakes, why don't you buy them a massage from a board member. Surely a musician needs a massage more than cupcakes, and then you would be supporting your fellow MTs, not asking them to subsidize your heart.

pueppi wrote: If you don't want to, feel free to ignore the request..

By this logic, we should just ignore requests rom greedy corporations asking for free chair massage in exchange for "exposure" to their employees. I am not the type to ignore such requests, I use them as an opportunity to educate others on the value of massage. Ignoring them just encourages them to keep asking others for freebies. NOt sure why you think you should be treated any differently.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:40 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:What makes musicians so special to work on...you make it sound like it is some kind of honor.

An honor, no. I am not about glitz and glamour. A learning experience for therapists like me, defintely. Oh, right. You're not an MT... possibly that's why your being so snarky.

How often does someone get to work on a true millionaire's body? I know many that would love a free massage, but I am not here asking others to donate services so they can have this honor.

Maybe they aren't special to you? Apparantly you have your reasons for not asking.

Going to war tends to screw up the mind and body like no other job --- must have missed your plea for donating massages for returning veterans.

That it does. And, to the wives. If one of my army wives husbands' makes it back from Afganastan, I'll likely be providing him with a free massage as well.

pueppi wrote: This was truly from the heart.

No, it was truly from YOUR heart.

Yes, it was. That's what I said. Please don't try to spin this.

I am not the type to ignore such requests, I use them as an opportunity to educate others on the value of massage. Ignoring them just encourages them to keep asking others for freebies. NOt sure why you think you should be treated any differently.

Well since you have now decided that you will put me in the pie with those who will "keep asking for freebies", there's certainly not much I'll be able to say that will change your mind. Get on with the flogging.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:57 am

Pueppi, I have had musician clients & friends... even one of my co-workers @ the spa where I work is in a band. So, I understand where you're coming from.

And I can see where R&R is coming from too.

But this conversation is starting to degenerate here.

It's time to agree to disagree here...

Let's let it go, and move on.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Return to Referrals Needed