Do you have a preference to gender when working on clients?

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Do you have a preference to gender when working on clients?

Postby handsofeye on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I as a male prefer to work on men mostly but do like to work on active females who are either athletes or very active in the gym etc

do you have a preference?
Last edited by handsofeye on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
handsofeye
Fresh Hands

Re: Do you as a male prefere to work on males or females?

Postby Pete on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 pm

handsofeye wrote:I am a male therapist and prefer to work on male only. I am actually trying to build only male clients

here are my reasons

1. Men deserve massage more than women as they typically are working harder
2. they don't complain (sometimes but not nearly as much)
3. they tip better
4. allot are active in sports which makes it better since I prefer to work with athletes as opposed to middle aged fat women that typically go to spas
5. its easier on the hands since I use allot more elbow knuckles and forearm
6. there is no sexual tension
7. they are less picky and willing to listen to your advice about stretching
8. they are more thankful when done as most women think of you as a slave for them
9. most tension is related to muscle activity rather than stress and is easier to dissolve
10. less stress for me since I dont have to worry about them filing a complaint about a sexual nature
11. if its to hard or soft they will tell you in the session as opposed to saying everything is ok in session and complaining afterward to the receptionists

what are your thoughts dudes. Sorry ladies I am asking guys about this

Are you kidding me???? Is this meant to be a joke?? ...cuz it really sounds like one!

Misogynist much?
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby moogie on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:17 am

Are you seriously trying to alienate yourself from the members here on one of your 1st posts? Or are you trying to get yourself kicked off the board?

What is your purpose here?

Angie
Site Admin
moogie
Site Admin

Postby handsofeye on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:48 am

I am seeing if other male have similiar thoughts

I prefer to work on men mostlyy so just seeing if there are others that feel the same way
Last edited by handsofeye on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
handsofeye
Fresh Hands

Postby handsofeye on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 am

you can delete the thread if it is a problem
Last edited by handsofeye on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
handsofeye
Fresh Hands

Postby shivashiva on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:55 am

Perhaps you don't realize it, but most of the reasons you listed were quite sexist and politically incorrect.

If you had listed only these reasons

handsofeye wrote:5. its easier on the hands since I use allot more elbow knuckles and forearm
10. less stress for me since I dont have to worry about them filing a complaint about a sexual nature

you might be taken more seriously. But even the sexual complaint one can still happen with a male client. He could be homosexual, or he could think that YOU are homosexual.

I don't think there's a problem with your question, but there are problems with the reasons you listed. They all make women out to be whiny, complaining, cheap, lazy, ungrateful, and liars. Thus, you appear to be a troll.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:50 pm

One begins to wonder what your real motivation is for being in this field if you are going to complain about at least 50% of the population - at least a portion of which might have considered coming to you as a paying client.

You appear to have a number of unresolved issues with women, as such it would certainly be better for you to work with men because that anger & distrust is going to translate straight into your work on any woman that would have you as an MT.

As a female myself I would never subject myself to any male practitioner with your attitude!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby JasonE on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:26 pm

handsofeye wrote:I am a male therapist and prefer to work on male only. I am actually trying to build only male clients

here are my reasons

1. Men deserve massage more than women as they typically are working harder
2. they don't complain (sometimes but not nearly as much)
3. they tip better
4. allot are active in sports which makes it better since I prefer to work with athletes as opposed to middle aged fat women that typically go to spas
5. its easier on the hands since I use allot more elbow knuckles and forearm
7. they are less picky and willing to listen to your advice about stretching
8. they are more thankful when done as most women think of you as a slave for them
9. most tension is related to muscle activity rather than stress and is easier to dissolve
11. if its to hard or soft they will tell you in the session as opposed to saying everything is ok in session and complaining afterward to the receptionists

what are your thoughts dudes. Sorry ladies I am asking guys about this

I disagree with everything you have stated here.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby eyesofblue on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:02 am

riversinger wrote:You appear to have a number of unresolved issues with women, as such it would certainly be better for you to work with men because that anger & distrust is going to translate straight into your work on any woman that would have you as an MT.

As a female myself I would never subject myself to any male practitioner with your attitude!

this, I agree
eyesofblue
Registered Member

Postby Yan on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:05 pm

handsofeye wrote:5. its easier on the hands since I use allot more elbow knuckles and forearm

Why can't you use the same amount of elbow/knuckles/forearm on all of your clients irregardless of their gender?
Yan
Fresh Hands

Postby shivashiva on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Yan wrote:

Why can't you use the same amount of elbow/knuckles/forearm on all of your clients irregardless of their gender?

As a female who works mainly with females I can say that I use more knuckles and forearms on men. ON AVERAGE men are larger than women and thus can take the use of larger bony parts. I do use knuckles and elbows on women, but mainly the larger/thicker ones. A lot of women have more bone showing and it's more effective/comfortable to use fingers and thumbs. That has been my experience.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby Massagynist on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:53 pm

I tend to prefer females if it is someone totally new. This is because with men there is often a 35% chance (or more) that they didn't really prefer to be booked with a male therapist, but is willing to give it a shot or that's the only slot they could get. I have had quite a few sessions (mainly couples) where it was obvious that the guy was not thrilled with my gender and it really creates some negative energy.

However, when I have a male client that comes off as neutral, I find it just as gratifying...and when I establish regular male clients I find it particularly gratifying because I feel I was able to transcend the social stigma.

I will admit that women are overall easier though - the muscles seem to relax better. This is either because the tension isn't as intense, or they are more open to the work. Men have a hard time relaxing and being passive, especially if they are older.

And I could certainly do without all the body hair, at times :-)
Massagynist
Fresh Hands

Postby EgoMagickian on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 pm

I don't find this question or topic all that comfortable and here's why:

I doubt I would ever admit to any of the preferences I may or may not have regarding clients. I tend to view them as opinions of my ego that can only get in my way. It's my job to ignore them as best I can and do the best work I can. Clients ask for example if I have a preference as to how much clothing they wear or don't wear on the table. If I did I would never tell it to them... what they wear is about their preferences, not mine. Because I don't specialize in work with a particular sex/gender, any preference I might have in that respect is similarly irrelevant.

If you feel strongly enough about something to make it a part of your stated policies, to build it into the structure of your practice that's one thing. Otherwise, I suggest keeping it to yourself ;-)
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby shivashiva on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:56 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:I doubt I would ever admit to any of the preferences I may or may not have regarding clients. I tend to view them as opinions of my ego that can only get in my way. It's my job to ignore them as best I can and do the best work I can.

This. Thank you Magickian. I agree all the way.
Shiva
shivashiva
Registered Member

Return to Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective