Excellent CEU Courses

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

Re: Excellent CEU Courses

Postby pueppi on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:49 am

Fred,

Which courses through them would you consider to be "above and beyond", "outstanding" and/or "excellent"? And, not just the "good" ones.

I look forward to your reply.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:32 pm

riversinger wrote:And Jason, if you happen to know who, if anyone, he may be thinking of taking over for him as a teacher please let me & the rest of us know!

Aaron has tasked two of his longtime proteges, Dr. Jeff Haggquist (www.quistmd.com) and Roger McNear (www.aisfitness.com) with developing the new iteration of Active Isolated Stretching classes. I have taken an AIS for the Lower Body course with Roger and it was GREAT! The methods are the same, but the class structure and pacing makes it easier to learn and retain an enormous amount of info. (You can find video clips from that class on the Active Isolated Stretching Practitioners page on Facebook, or on my YouTube channel: JasonEcst.)

The new classes form the foundation for formal certification of AIS practitioners and set the stage for future AIS Instructor trainings. The long-term goal is to have a relatively consistent and effective way of teaching and evaluating AIS skills so that those who become certified are truly competent. If a sufficiently large cohort of certified AIS therapists and AIS instructors is developed, there is a better chance of AIS surviving once Aaron Mattes has "left the building", so to speak.

I will TA for Aaron again when he returns to Minnesota in April 2011. If you attend, please introduce yourself! :)
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby MassageProfessor on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 am

Massage online Professor[http://www.massageonlineprofessor.com] DVDs are the perfect way to learn spa techniques that will build your bank account without breaking your back. Very funny instructor who will not let you fall asleep and gives you a real classroom feel while learning at home. Of course, Massage online Professor carries all the mandatory courses for the NCBTMB, Florida Board of Massage, Maryland Board of Massage, North Carolina Board of Massage and others. Stop by the website for half priced courses from a 50% discount put in place in 2008 when the economy went sour. Always supporting massage therapists in the field by attending board meetings and educational conventions.
MassageProfessor
Fresh Hands

Thai acupressure workshop

Postby nachumro on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 am

Iv'e attended a really interesting workshop in Israel about a year ago.
It was a workshop for thai acupressure - medical thai massage, given by Noam Tyroler who is an excellent teacher!
The reason I'm sharing is that I found out that there are going to be a few mre workshops like that in the US and Europe this year.
I recommend!!

Info can be found here:

upcoming Medical Thai Massage Workshops.
nachumro
Fresh Hands

Re: Great CEU Classes

Postby pear2apple on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:03 pm

bprofessional wrote:I took BIOTONE's Spa Workshop for dry room and enjoyed it so much that I also took their Sports Workshop. I think they're offering those classes this year again as well as a new workshop called Posture & Pain. You get 16 CE Hours through NCBTMB.

The Biotone link wasn't working and I can't find any classes listed. Is there another section or another listing for Dry Room Treatments to learn?
Licensed Massage Therapist at Fringe by Carrie Salon Studio
www.facebook.com/fringebycarrie
www.fringebycarrie.com Toledo, OH 43614
http://www.etsy.com/people/PearsPalette
pear2apple
Registered Member

Re: Great CEU Classes

Postby pueppi on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 am

pear2apple wrote:
bprofessional wrote:I took BIOTONE's Spa Workshop for dry room and enjoyed it so much that I also took their Sports Workshop. I think they're offering those classes this year again as well as a new workshop called Posture & Pain. You get 16 CE Hours through NCBTMB.

The Biotone link wasn't working and I can't find any classes listed. Is there another section or another listing for Dry Room Treatments to learn?

Here's a phone number for Biotone. If you call them and find out any info, please post it for us as an update:

Biotone Customer Service
800.445.6457 | 619.582.0027
M-F 7:30 am - 4:30 pm PST
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Rozax on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Does anyone know if cadaver labs count toward CEU hours? I've read a couple of people on here who've done them for school, but I don't know if they can count toward ECUs. I'll look it up, of course, but it's always good to hear it from people who just know.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Rozax wrote:Does anyone know if cadaver labs count toward CEU hours? I've read a couple of people on here who've done them for school, but I don't know if they can count toward ECUs. I'll look it up, of course, but it's always good to hear it from people who just know.

If the school/organization providing the cadaver lab training are NCBTMB approved, then the CE hours will count. Even if they aren't pre-approved, there is a petition process that might enable you to receive credit for them. In general, I feel that cadaver labs are worth the money even if you don't receive CE hour credits.

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby JasonE on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:21 pm

For Active Isolated Stretching, I also recommend the two-day AIS classes now offered by Roger McNear, Jeff Haggquist, and Gabe Skinner. These are the most user-friendly AIS classes I've attended, very well organized and expertly presented. You can find class information and registration links on Facebook, on the Active Isolated Stretching Practitioners page.

The most impressive thing about the new two-day classes is that EVERYONE is able to perform everything taught, in order, on themselves and with a partner, by the end of each day. For those new to AIS, they are, in my opinion, the best AIS classes to start with.

Those who have been practicing AIS for a while should also check out Aaron Mattes' advanced classes in Sarasota. Those can be found on the AIS Practitioners page or on www.stretchingusa.com .

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Medical Massage & Russian Sports Massage

Postby pueppi on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:03 am

I have a friend who took a short introductory Medical Massage course by Dr. Ross Turchaninov, the founder of the Science of Massage Institute many years ago. She recently took the regular Medical Massage course (recently held in Florida) with Dr. Turchaninov & Oleg Bouimer and said it was *excellent*.

She was so pleased with the results she has been getting that she plans to completely transform her practice by the end of the year, offering and encouraging the medical massage protocols as the majority of her practice, while continuing to offer therapeutic massage to those who do not want to participate in the Medical Massage work. She is a former respiratory therapist and been in practice as an MT for about 16 years.

I asked her if it would be good for beginners and she said that unless they have a good A&P background or have had intense schooling they may want to wait until they get some better understanding and terminology under their belt. She also suggested looking for a text to familiarize oneself with the terminology before taking the class, if concerned.

Dr. Turchaninov also has a video library on his site that anyone can gain access to for a fee per each month. It is free to those who attend the seminar.

Here are the websites of both gentlemen:

I hope it helps someone out.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby JaeMarie on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Today I just completed and passed the 45hr MLD (Vodder method) course by Klose Training. I was lucky in that Cortiva's Chicago campus was hosting it, so travel wasn't an issue (I'm a Chicago School of Massage Therapy grad.) The course was EXCELLENT. It's probably the best put together and most informative course I've taken since graduating over 6 years ago, and I love my CEU's lol.

http://www.klosetraining.com/ManualLymphDrainageMLD.asp
JaeMarie

Postby pueppi on Sun May 26, 2013 6:18 am

JaeMarie wrote:Today I just completed and passed the 45hr MLD (Vodder method) course by Klose Training. I was lucky in that Cortiva's Chicago campus was hosting it, so travel wasn't an issue (I'm a Chicago School of Massage Therapy grad.) The course was EXCELLENT. It's probably the best put together and most informative course I've taken since graduating over 6 years ago, and I love my CEU's lol.

http://www.klosetraining.com/ManualLymphDrainageMLD.asp

I too have taken this course and can only say good things about it!

Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) Certification - 6 days - (Basic & Advanced, Vodder Technique)

Normally, I don't sit through an entire course well. I'm pretty hyper and can get antsy. And, almost 6 days of training (like this class) can be exceptionally difficult for me. I found that I didn't even take bathroom breaks except for those that we were let out for! And, the instructor was very good at knowing when we needed a break.

Of course, I could have gone and marched around, taken a break or driven off to drop a letter in an area post box... but, I never wanted to or felt the need. I actually wanted to be in class the whole time and was worried that if I stepped out at the wrong time, I would miss something. That is sooooo rare.

I can highly recommend this course.

05/27/13 - corrected for typo
Last edited by pueppi on Mon May 27, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby MarionFM on Mon May 27, 2013 5:51 am

About 6 months ago, I took Strain/Counterstrain presented by the Connecticut School of Integrative Manual Therapy. http://www.instituteofimt.com/

I absolutely loved this seminar. There are dozens of techniques in the binder - and I went home wanting to master every single one!

Two caveats. One is that the instructor encouraged participants to stay with the same person all through. I think you gain more by switching partners.

The second is that there are errors in the binder which need to be corrected. Some are sloppy, just page numbers wrong but it is irritating when the entire index is out. Others are in techniques which can make it a challenge when you go home and are not sure what it means.

Even so, it is probably the seminar binder I refer to the most.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby KateT on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:51 am

Here is another good source to add to the list. Jumozy has online massage and reflexology CEs that have streaming video. http://www.jumozy.com/course-catalog
Jumozy - Online Massage Continuing Education
http://www.jumozy.com
KateT
Fresh Hands

Previous

Return to CEU's