Biofreeze reaction

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Biofreeze reaction

Postby softy515 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't know if this is the right section for this but here goes:

A client bought Biofreeze for her husband. He used it in the past, no issues. But he felt he pulled something rotator cuff related. He rubbed it all over, even down around the arm pit. He broke out into what sounds like a chemical burn. I think what might have happen was the Biofreeze mixed with his deo, which his wife mentioned he applies heavily.

Anyone hear of anything like this happening?

I also worry, could I be liable for this since I sold it to them?
softy515
Registered Member

Re: Biofreeze reaction

Postby JasonE on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 pm

softy515 wrote:I don't know if this is the right section for this but here goes:

A client bought Biofreeze for her husband. He used it in the past, no issues. But he felt he pulled something rotator cuff related. He rubbed it all over, even down around the arm pit. He broke out into what sounds like a chemical burn. I think what might have happen was the Biofreeze mixed with his deo, which his wife mentioned he applies heavily.

Anyone hear of anything like this happening?

I also worry, could I be liable for this since I sold it to them?

Since he used it safely in the past, you shouldn't have anything to fear unless the product was somehow contaminated. Instruct the client to contact Performance Health Products (makers of Biofreeze) ASAP for guidance. If there is a known reaction to the client's deoderant, they *should* be aware of it. Do NOT insert yourself as a go-between.

For future reference, ask your client to update you on anything they learn. It is also possible that the husband developed an allergy that he didn't have before, or that the formulation of Biofreeze has changed somehow. I recall hearing that some of their products now contain additional ingredients, but don't know the whole story. :smt017
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby softy515 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 am

Thanks Jason,

I did suggest they call the company. Don't know if they did. He used from the same tube with no problem in the past. I emailed the wife and asked how it was looking and she said it was scabbing up.

It just really freaked me out, CAN we be liable because we sell it to someone? It does say on the container not to mix with any lotions, ointment, ect. It is making me rethink whether or not I want to sell products directly. I don't make that much money doing it to begin with.
softy515
Registered Member

Postby GreenDragonfly on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am

I've heard of people having a poor reaction if they also put a heating pad on top of products like biofreeze. Although, allergic reactions can happen anytime!
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Postby Taoist on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:39 pm

You shouldn't be liable as long as you weren't the one who told him to put it in his armpit. Did you mean to say that he's rubbed it in his armpit before with no problems? Or he's just used it in general with no problems?
That is a sensitive area (it makes mine burn just THINKING about putting Biofreeze there!) and it could just be that one area or a reaction with his deodorant as you mentioned. That is where the reaction was, right?
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby squash_blsm on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:50 am

Jeez! in the armpits!

Okay - most people in spas know this...
You are supposed to have a MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet - on hand for any product that you sell.
This is supplied by the manufacturer.
If you made the product yourself you are 100% liable. This is why - unless you are a cosmetic chemist or something - you need to be very careful about selling products that you make - and they must include any possible warnings. You CAN be liable if you directed client to use the product inapropriately as already mentioned.
here is a link for the MSDS

http://www.hygenic-news.com/MSDS/BF_Gel.pdf

As I see it - there are no special precautions or danger of reactivity unless combined with acids and oxidizers.
So - the alcohol MAY have reacted with his deodorant.

As a general rule of thumb - any topical product can cause or result in an adverse reaction. Some people have sensitivities OR can become sensitized to a substance when it's applied to the skin that is in a reactive state - injury, trauma, other chemicals, recently exfoliated skin, waxing - even after a hot shower!

Don't be overly concerned - if you get too involved your client MAY try to hold you liable...thinking that is what you are all worried about. Any action should be on their part and taken up directly with the manufacturer. Oh - and see if there are any warnings right on the tube so you can become more familiar with any possible problems for the future.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby Osteotoba on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:52 pm

I have had some clients have an adverse reaction to biofreeze or menthol based products, and that is one of the reasons I no longer use these products. I did notice an interested co-relation.

Kiwis.

The fruit, not New Zealanders. My clients who had allergies to kiwis had adverse reactions. Odd, but I began asking clients if they had any "Weird" allergies they may not have mentioned. Sure enough... people who were allergic to this fruit seemed to respond poorly to biofreeze. Coincidence? Perhaps.
Osteotoba

Postby Taoist on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:03 am

Osteotoba wrote:I have had some clients have an adverse reaction to biofreeze or menthol based products, and that is one of the reasons I no longer use these products. I did notice an interested co-relation.

Kiwis.

The fruit, not New Zealanders. My clients who had allergies to kiwis had adverse reactions. Odd, but I began asking clients if they had any "Weird" allergies they may not have mentioned. Sure enough... people who were allergic to this fruit seemed to respond poorly to biofreeze. Coincidence? Perhaps.

Perhaps not. A great big majority of people who are allergic to latex are also allergic to bananas. Just some similar proteins or something.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Return to Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure