Massage books

List info on names and links to Online Study Aids, Articles, Books & Videos. Insurance info for Professional Practice (disability, liability, health). Association Info.

Moderator: GreenDragonfly

Massage books

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:10 am

oK, I had to start a new thread for massage related books after hearing about the one I'm about to talk about ;-)<br><br>A friend of mine attends DIHA, and he instructor highly recommends Waking the Tiger<br><br>Looking at it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 7?v=glance I must say it looks very cool. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in massage for.<br><br>What are you interested in and what great books can you recommend?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: Massage books

Postby DawnsRays on Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:12 am

What a great topic for us to share--<br>Thanks for the insite into the book Waking the Tiger, sounds like a good read.<br>My suggestion is more on the clinical side, but I really think this book has merritt for all those just starting out:<br><br>Basic Clinical Massage Therapy: Intergrating Anatomy and Treatment   by James H. Clay and David M. Pounds<br>It contains awesome photos of the body's anatomy as well as important information.  Well worth the price!<br><br>Also, The Book of Shiatsu by Paul Lundberg in great for someone who wants to know about shiatsu<br><br>Hope this thread takes off.  I love books, Thanks EgoMagickian!!<br><br>~DAWN
DawnsRays
Fresh Hands

Postby jillrmt on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:39 am

MEDICAL MASSAGE THERAPY<br>understanding, assessing and treating over 70 conditions.<br><br>By Fiona Rattray and linda ludwig<br><br>This is a "must have" book in my opinion :)<br><br>Jillian, RMT<br>Canada
Jillian, RMT
Canada

"We as healers should be working together not in the spirit of competition, but in the spirit of compassion"
jillrmt
Registered Member

Postby DawnsRays on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:40 am

Can anyone recommend a really good book about Lymphatic Drainage Massage.  Not one that is overly technical, though.<br><br>Thanks in advance~<br>DAWN
DawnsRays
Fresh Hands

Postby Texas-gal on Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:49 pm

The Educated Heart: Professional Guidelines for Massage Therapists, Bodyworkers and Movement Teachers
by Nina McIntosh, Mari Gayatri Stein (Illustrator), Mari Gayatri Stein
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 3?v=glance

I found this book to be a nice guide to some ethical interests.  Good for the new and old practitioner,  but, more geared for those who may need a little further insite into how to handle "situations".  

The thing that I remember reading that stuck with me:

When working on someone who is a friend, colleague or family member, you should make sure everything is 110% better than normal, because these people will be the ones who critique you the most severely.  The thought that comes to mind is ... consider that sheets should be laid on the table pristinely ( not that we don't do that anyway  :D ) rather it is a massage at home on a last minute request, just "practicing a new move" or getting "serious" .  As my mom said once before getting a massage, "Those sheets have too many wrinkles".  I'd have never thought she'd say something like that!  :)
Last edited by Texas-gal on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas-gal

Postby ttouch on Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:59 pm

MEDICAL MASSAGE THERAPY
understanding, assessing and treating over 70 conditions.

By Fiona Rattray and linda ludwig

This is a "must have" book in my opinion :)

Jillian, RMT
Canada

I have this book and have not used it once since I purchased it last year.   someone recommended it to me, well, it's not my style of work. Being I'm not in *private practice* the book collects dust.  Most people I work on come in for a nice massage and this place is not a clinical setting to get into it with a client like a client doc relationship.
Cheryl
ttouch
Fresh Hands

Postby ttouch on Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:43 am

give me a glimps into that book. Is there something that particularly resonates with you? I want to see how it reads.  do you have to refer to it or is it more like a reading book? <br><br>I don't do clinical massage as they call it I guess so that book from Canada does me nada
Cheryl
ttouch
Fresh Hands

Postby CanadianRMT on Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:29 am

wow!  :o  I'm surpised and disappointed to read that Fiona Rattray's clinical massage therapy book has not been useful for some.  There is such a vast amount of valuable information in her books (the older purple and white soft cover one, and the newest bigger greenish soft cover one).  To me the new one is like the bible of massage therapy practice.  The important basics from which we can expand our knowledge and improve our treatments and businesses.  My best resource for information.  Worth giving it another read, in my opinion.   Even if you're approach is maybe spa or relaxation oriented only, there is alot of beneficial information relating to this type of practice as well.   I agree with jillrmt:  "a must have" book in my opinion, too.
CanadianRMT
Fresh Hands

Postby jdcan on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:56 am

Clinical Massage Therapy by Rattray and Ludwig gets my vote too.
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby lotusgirl on Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:49 pm

Here are some recommendations of massage therapy books that I liked:<br>"The Educated Heart" (a book about ethics for MTs)<br>"Massage: A Career at Your Fingertips" (breaking into the MT biz)<br>"BodyMind" (cool book about body/mind connection)<br><br>Can anyone suggest some other books they found useful when they were just starting out? Thanks!     <br> <br>In light and love,<br>Cassandra/Lotusgirl    
Cassandra/Lotusgirl
lotusgirl
Registered Member

Postby ttouch on Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:53 pm

funny, I'm still starting out so ... all of em are good.  <br><br>i'm not saying the book is not worth purchasing, just, I've not had a need to resort to it?? don't know why?  <br><br>I think it's the kind of practice I'm in. you see, I work for someone. There is no time for anything there. i really dislike the place but... I'm still starting out. .... I plan to do some marketing when my spirits are high but now,.. I'm down with the ants.   <br><br>I can talk marketing over on another topic I guess. So, when that spirit says, lets go marketing, hope you all will be there.  I'll keep my book any way. :)  :-*
Cheryl
ttouch
Fresh Hands

Postby Marg Slattery on Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:37 pm

If you are still interested in selling your copy of Rattray & Ludwig I'd be interested in purchasing it.
Marg Slattery

Postby ttouch on Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:46 pm

book is gone. Thanks for the response though.
Cheryl
ttouch
Fresh Hands

Postby Texas-gal on Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:35 am

ttouch,<br><br>You mentioned you were interested in how the books "read".<br>
give me a glimps into that book. Is there something that particularly resonates with you? I want to see how it reads.  do you have to refer to it or is it more like a reading book?  
<br><br>You can actually get a glimps and read some of the pages of a book by searching for the book at Amazon.com.<br><br>I did this as an example for you with "Job's Body", a book someone mentioned here earlier.<br><br>Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 25-5667318<br><br>Now, if you look under the pic of the book, it says "Look inside another edition of this book".  You can click on that and get a book in which you can flip pages and get a "sample read". See this link - http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1581770 ... eader-link  Then just click on the right and left buttons (beside the pages) in order to flip throughout the book.<br><br>If you didn't already know about that, then this should help a lot, and if you did, well - maybe it helps someone else.  <br><br>Hope you are no longer "down with the ants"! :)<br><br><br><br>PS: For everyone.  A good way to search for books is: http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/
Texas-gal

Postby Jaime Ortega on Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:27 pm

here is my suggested list, in no particular order:<br><br>Balance of Body/Balance of Mind- A Rolfer's Vision of Buddhist Practice in the West by Will Johnson<br><br>BodyStories-A Guide to Experiential Anatomy by Andrea Olsen<br><br>Dynamic Alignment Through Imagery by Eric Franklin<br><br>BodyMind by Ken Dychtwald<br><br>Touching-The Human Significance of Skin by Ashley Montagu<br><br>Molecules of Emotion- The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine by Candance B. Pert<br><br>Body by Don Hanlon Johnson<br><br>Job's Body- Handbook for Bodywork by Deane Juhan<br><br>Sensory Awareness by Charles W. Brooks<br><br>The Body Has Its Reasons- Self Awareness Through Conscious Movement by Therese Bertherat<br><br>Bone, Breath and Gesture by Don Hanlon Johnson<br><br>The Future of the Body- Explorations Into the Further Evolution of Human Nature by Michael Murphy<br><br>The Feeling of What Happens - Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness by Antonio Damasio<br><br>The Absent Body by Drew Leder<br><br>The Spell of the Sensous by David Abram<br><br>Phenomenology of Perception by Maurice Merlau-Ponty<br><br>The Breathing Book by Donna Farhi<br><br>The Thinking Body- A Study of the Balancing Forces of Dynamic Man by Mabel E. Todd<br><br>Inside Motion- An Ideokinetic Basis for Movement Education by John Rolland<br><br>Wisdom of the Body Moving- An Introduction to Body-Mind Centering by Linda Hartley<br><br>A Kinesthetic Legacy- The Life and Works of Barbara Clark by Pamela Matt<br><br>The Fabric of Wholeness - Biological Intelligence and Relational Gravity by Carol Agneessens<br><br>Ways to Better Breathing by Carola Speads<br><br>Happy reading!!
Jaime Ortega

Postby shammy0007 on Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:46 am

Here's another vote for David Pound's book, "Basic Clinical Massage", for those of us who need help visualizing what's under the skin we are working on.  

But for those interested in trigger point therapy, my favorite book is "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" second edition, by Clair Davies.  He (yes, Clair is a man) was a sixty something piano tuner who discovered massage and trigger point therapy, changed careers and wrote this great book.  It was originally written for laypersons to use for self treatment, but the second edition added a chapter for professionals.  The cheapest place I found it was A1books.com  

http://www.a1books.com/cgi-bin/mktSearc ... 0253&rel=1

You can see pages from it at Amazon.com.
shammy0007
Fresh Hands

Postby terab on Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:24 am

I have 2 favorite books that I use on almost a daily basis.  They are great books!  <br><br>1. Informed Touch: A Clinician's Guide to Evaluation and Treatment of Myofascial Disorders<br><br>2.The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief<br>
terab
Registered Member

Postby Gaspen on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:46 am

Thanks for this thread...I was gonna start one of my own but did a search for 'book recommend' and found this.<br><br>I'm new to M and am in class right now; but, should I find a book that really kicks for me, I'll add it here. In the meantime, I plan on reviewing all the recommendations here.<br><br>I was wondering if this could be one of those 'sticky' subjects.<br><br>Thanks. Gaspen
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com
Gaspen
Registered Member

Postby melb on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:14 pm

I posted this in another thread, but it will probably get lost there, so thought I'd repeat it here...<br><br>The best aromatherapy book I've ever seen that covers the basics (and a lot more) is: <br>Title: Complete Guide to Aromatherapy 2nd Edit <br>Author: BATTAGLIA, Salvatore <br>Format: paberback <br>ISBN: 0646428969 <br> <br>It's an Australian book, and is used as the text book for quite a few IFA recognised aromatherapy courses. I can't find this on Amazom.com, so you may have trouble locating it in the US.  You can oder it online from http://www.perfectpotion.com.au/ (company run by the author) or http://www.adyar.com.au/ (Australian New Agey online bookstore).  Shipping shouldn't be too much, Australia postage overseas is not that much, plus the pricing probably includes GST a 10% tax that only applies to Australian buyers, so you should get it less 10% anyway.  Not a cheap book, but the best I can recommend, it's a large size paperback, and quite thick.  It really covers the basic how to and what the oils do VERY well. <br> <br>You can find it on amazon.co.uk with a couple of 5 star reviews (one extensive one from someone in Ohio), but the price on amazon.co.uk is MUCH more expensive than buying it from Australia.  <br> <br>With the ISBN you might be able to order it locally.  <br> <br>With the postage it should work out around $55-$60US, roughly, buying it from Australia from the Adyar site. <br>
melb
Registered Member

Postby healer611 on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:48 pm

Can anyone recommend a massage book (or video) that illustrates draping, body mechanics, technique and information for the beginner? I have a friend who is interested in learning some basics before committing to going to school. This would help her make a decision. Thanks!
"Brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop people who don't want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch
healer611
Registered Member

Postby hands4healing on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:37 pm

Hey all -- I"m also intrigued by the Medical Massage Therapy book now and was wondering where you got yours! I looked on Amazon, Ebay and Barnes & Noble with no luck! I Love the clinical stuff and would love to get my hands on a copy of the book!

Thanks!
hands4healing
Registered Member

Re: Massage Books

Postby Blisss on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:40 am

Trigger Point Therapy Workbook
I guess I'll be the 3rd person on this thread to recommend "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" second edition, by Clair Davies. As a guide for self-treatment, it's been very helpful in treating my own pain/tension. At the same time, the information is very easily applied to clients and has made my massage more effective. I refer to it regularly in my office practice. It's by far the most helpful book I've found.

Medical Massage Therapy
In response to the question of where to find the book, "Medical Massage Therapy" by Fiona Rattray and Linda Ludwig. The book title is actually "Clinical Massage Therapy" and you can buy it directly from the authors at the following website: http://www.clinicalmassagetherapy.com

Acupressure's Potent Point's
This book by the author Michael Reed Gach is actually a guide to self-care for common ailments. It's concise and easy to understand and apply. A great resource for home care suggestions for your clients, and you can also incorporate the suggested points into your bodywork sessions.
Last edited by Blisss on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby DTM on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:11 pm

My favourite pick:

Books:
- Massage & Anatomy: "Basic Clinical Massage" by Clay & Pounds
- Trigger Point: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" Clair Davies
- Deep Tissue Massage: "Deep Tissue & Myofascial Release" Art Riggs

Videos:
- Basic Massage: Therapeutic Massage from Real Bodywork
- Deep Tissue & Myofascial release: Art Riggs

There is a site here with review on massage books & videos:
http://www.terrarosa.com.au/video/index.htm

It is in Australia and they sell books & videos as well
DTM
Fresh Hands

A good book related to bodywork for the immune system

Postby hebran on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:36 am

This book (go here to see it: http://www.bannertherapy.com/ProductInf ... ber=35-759 Mind-Body Medicine ) is a rather in-depth study of the endocrine and immune systems and promotes a holistic approach to general health. Banner Therapy also sells Massage Tables ( http://www.bannertherapy.com/Search.asp ... sage+table ) and pretty much everything else related to physical therapy and massage. I bought some aromatherapy oils from them and noticed they've got pretty much everything.

Anyone ever buy from this store? (Banner Therapy) They seem to have good prices, but shipping cost wasn't included when I tried to see the cost of a table, so I'm not sure what the total cost would be (but that's not really a problem for me because I live close enough to drive for something like that anyway), but anyway it looks like a good place to find stuff for massage therapy.
hebran
Fresh Hands

recommended reading

Postby shazam on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:53 am

I recommend Breaking Through as a Professional Massage Therapist by Greg Spindler. It is unlike any other book I have read about creating a successful business. I think it is helpful whether you have a brand new practice or an established one. You can find it on the author's website, www.gregspindler.com.
shazam
Fresh Hands

Next

Return to Resources