Angry with CA SB 731

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Angry with CA SB 731

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:27 am

"Angry" is not really the word for it, but this is a professional board, so we'll stick with that.

From http://www.camtc.org/faq.htm :

For anyone not certified by CAMTC, SB 731 makes it an unfair business practice for a person to use the titles "Certified Massage Therapist", "Certified Massage Practitioner", "CMT" or "CMP".

Massage practitioners who choose not to apply (or who do not qualify) for our certification are not prohibited from practicing in California, as what we offer is, by law, a voluntary certification. However, most professional massage therapists will want to have and use the CMT or CMP titles.

Ridiculous. Calling this a voluntary certification is pure sophistry.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: Angry with CA SB 731

Postby pueppi on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:00 am

I guess I am not sure why you are upset.

Is there any reason you must have a "Certified Massage Therapist", "Certified Massage Practitioner", "CMT" or "CMP" label? Does it matter to the general public in California?

Texas, used to label us as RMT's (Registered Massage Therapists), which recently changed to LMT's (Licensed Massage Therapists). I don't think the general public noticed a difference, and as far as I can tell if a person labeled themselves as an MT the loss of clientele would be a pin-drop. Granted the State of Texas possibly requires us to carry the LMT label on documentation, but I have not ever heard of it being a "reason" for someone to seek out my services.

Maybe that will make you feel a little better?
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby jellyfish on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:39 am

I'm just confused by it and not sure what to do... what title do I use until I get the license? I'm so close to being a "CMT" I only need a few more hours ... just a few months. Should I print new business cards without the CMT?
jellyfish
Fresh Hands

Postby EgoMagickian on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 pm

pueppi, I am upset because I chose to spend my time and money attending a school that was state approved to grant me a certificate in massage therapy, and the law creating this "voluntary" certification program retroactively undoes that. I have "CMT" in my freakin' domain name... now my "choice" is between changing it or facing legal exposure for unfair business practices?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby Rose of Sharon on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:58 pm

I can understand your anger, Ego. What would it take to get the additional new state "certification" so that you can legally keep the CMT in your name? I'm assuming it's just another needless expense to you that just adds funds for politicians to blow.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby Jonathan on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:11 am

Just my thoughts on SB731. I was a little miffed that my certificates from "Nationally" approved schools and providers would no longer be valid. I thought maybe I could get around that by fine print at the bottom of forms etc. saying who or what certificated me (like CMT with an *). Hell, they're framed and posted in my office and they say certificate/certified on each of them. Granted, that would still be a major PIA. After wrapping around it, finally, I think it to be a generally good thing for the industry and will probably benefit my business after the public understands what it might mean to them (I'm thinking new/potential client). It sets minimum educational standards and a Dept. of Justice and a FBI background check. This new certification also sets the standard for different locations in CA. It would be accepted in other cities/counties if you moved to a different place. After jumping through the hoops and paying the revenue ($150 to the CAMTC, $20 to the Live Scan operator,$32 to the DOJ,$19 to the FBI, plus gasoline, incidentals, and time spent), I'm just waiting on the two background checks to be sent to the newly formed bureaucracy. (Good gawd, I'm sure I'll feel so much better and just be swimming in new clients, IDK :undecided: ).
live & let live
Jonathan
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Rose, Jonathan's outline of what it would take is pretty on :-)

I am thinking of changing my title to PCMT: Post-Certified Massage Therapist. How postmodern.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby jasond on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:29 am

I have to say working in San Diego getting state certified relieved me of yearly registration requirements (state will only be every two years) and will save me money. I know its a little bit of a hassel to get it done but the state reg will certainly improve my life.

Jason
Release your Spirit through Bodywork
jasond
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:12 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:pueppi, I am upset because I chose to spend my time and money attending a school that was state approved to grant me a certificate in massage therapy, and the law creating this "voluntary" certification program retroactively undoes that. I have "CMT" in my freakin' domain name... now my "choice" is between changing it or facing legal exposure for unfair business practices?

I see what you are saying about spending more money to do something that is now taken away from you. I am sorry you have to go through that.

I will say that we can learn from one thing you mentioned. Do not put RMT, CMT, LMT, etc. in our domain names. With Texas changing our "call letters" every once in a while, I figure that's a known info bit down here. But, in case it isn't for everyone else... we can put a notch to remember that one too.

Thanks for sharing and I hope your stress levels are decreased sooner than later. *hug*
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:23 pm

"Post-Certified Massage Therapist" is a stupid and unnecessarily confusing title that will require too much explanation to be worthwhile. Even then, having "-Certified MT" as part of your title may not fly depending on how state regs with title protection are written.

Get the state cert and get over this. All transitions come with a measure of inconvenience, and then you're fine again.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby razor on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:17 am

...until they move the field posts farther back again.
razor
Registered Member

Postby Pete on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Well, I jumped through the hoops. I took the MBLEx, got live scanned, submitted all the requisite paperwork and paid all the fees - in April. I finally got my State Certification a couple of weeks ago.

All in all, the process wasn't too horrible and now I will be able to work ANYWHERE in California.

razor wrote:...until they move the field posts farther back again.

Hopefully, our legislature won't repeal SB731 which I hear is being talked about.
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics