Just learned Ahh...shiatsu!

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Just learned Ahh...shiatsu!

Postby rezod on Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Okay, I'm so excited about this modality of massage that I just learned I had to post about it! I took the class from Barefoot Masters two weeks ago and it was fantastic! The weekend flew by so quickly that it was Sunday before I knew it, and sadly,it was over. Seriously, it was like being in a time warp for the weekend! I've taken some continuing ed before and at some point it usually drags, not this class though. If you have the opportunity to take this course, I highly recommend it. Our instructor, Brenda, was awesome! She helped us all to learn this modality and made it so that even though the routine seems pretty complex, we all understood what to do. Check out http://www.my2feet.com if you're interested in learning this from them.

It took a week and a half to get permission to put my bars up, but I finally got them up (thanks to my husband who is so awesome!) yesterday. I am looking forward to extending my career with this modality and improving the quality of life of myself and my clients. My clients are really excited about this too, especially since most of them are deep tissue clients. Yaaay! I'm excited to be at work again!
rezod
Registered Member

Re: Just learned Ahh...shiatsu!

Postby familymassage on Fri May 29, 2009 7:48 pm

thanks for the review!
familymassage
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:21 am

I've always wanted to take Ahh......shiatsu but I was concerned that as much as I weighed, people would take one look at me and go "there's no way she's walking on my back!!" Not that I think that it's just about "walking" on people but I thought that was how the public would see it.

Now that I've lost a lot of weight, I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try.

There used to be a place right here in town that taught it, but now they pretty much devote their time to Bamboosage.

I'm going to keep my eye out though for a class.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby Jenn@AttunedMotion on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:04 am

Wow, I am SOOO envious! I really want to learn ashiatsu! Would you happen to have and video or clips of you practicing? How are you liking it (since you posted in May!), how long did it take you to become comfortable with the technique? Any client issues with this modality? (Fear? Size? Positioning? etc>)
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields
Jenn@AttunedMotion
Registered Member

Postby rezod on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Jenn!

So sorry for taking so long to get back. Life has been wacky to say the least: )

I love Ashiatsu!!! It took me longer to get permission to put my bars up than it took for me to become comfortable with the technique....lol. This modality has been absolutely awesome for my hands and my clients. I've seen amazing results with this style of massage, and am capable of doing more massages in a day/week without causing so much stress to my body.

No, sadly I don't have any video of me using the technique though.

Client issues: make sure that you have a wide table...you will get some wider clients that want this technique. Make sure that your table can hold your weight and that of your client too. My table started to break down and I had to have my hubby reinforce it. At this point, my table is six years old and I'm getting ready to buy a new one.

As for fear, did you mean my or my clients being afraid? I wasn't. My clients biggest thing so far is a discomfort with feet in general but that one is pretty easy to solve.

Are you planning on taking this course? Have you found anything close to you yet?

Jenn
rezod
Registered Member

Postby Jenn@AttunedMotion on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm so glad you are enjoying it! I love watching the videos for Ashiatsu on youtube! I've been practicing on my boyfriend, sitting on a stool to work on the back. I've also been practicing on the extremities with him laying on the floor and using the stool for balance. I'm not as fluid or comfortable as I would like to be, but obviously it will take time for my feet to become more accustomed. I think my biggest challenge has been how to use my feet in strokes other than just effleurage or compression, but I'm working on it. =) :massage:

Did you install bars at work or at home? And did you buy them through deep feet (is this where you learned?) or make your own? I'm considering making my own practice set in the basement using eye hooks and an old set of round banisters.

I have thought that maybe I could get table extenders, since I already have a wider model table, I will have to look into this more.

I meant fear from both sides, such as worrying about hurting the client or working too deeply or them not being comfortable enough to try it. I think it's like any style of different massage, you just need to show people how GOOD it feels =)

I've looked around for classes, I will probably have to travel somewhere in the future for it. I did find a therapist down the street who does ashiatsu, but she wasn't very receptive to trading. :smt009 Oh well, I guess for now I shall practice alone!
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields
Jenn@AttunedMotion
Registered Member

Postby melekalikimaka on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Congrats on learning Ashiatsu! I took a class in the summer of '08, and it was the very best thing I've ever done for my business. I live in WI and the only other person I know of in the area who offers this is a friend that I took the course with, and it sets me apart from other MTs in the area.
I've had nothing but fantastic feedback about this modality, and it has really saved my hands! Whenever a client asks for deep pressure, I recommend they try Ashiatsu. 9 times out of 10 they're happy to try it and end up really enjoying it. I use Ashiatsu as more treatment type work, rather than relaxation, and it's worked out incredibly well for me. Virtually all of my Ashi sessions include some regular "hand" massage because the foot can't get into the little nooks and crannies of the body the way hands do (like the paraspinals, for example), but it does an excellent job of loosening up larger muscles.
Unfortunately with the Ahh... shiatsu "brand", there's not much for continuing education. I don't know of anyone currently offering classes on two-footed strokes right now. The Ashiatsu Oriental Bar Therapy "brand" seems to have much more comprehensive continuing education, and possibly more comprehensive classes in general. My goal is to one day take those courses as well (even if I have to start at the beginning again). But for now, it's not an option with distance and price.
melekalikimaka
Registered Member

Postby melekalikimaka on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:24 pm

I also wanted to add that I have a heavy-duty extra wide table. It is not a portable table. I don't want to have to worry about the table creaking, cracking, and possibly breaking (unlikely, but boy wouldn't that be terrible??!), and it's great to have extra room to move around on the table while doing Ashiatsu.
melekalikimaka
Registered Member

Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)