Introduce yourself here

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

Introduce yourself here

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:32 pm

This is the thread to introduce yourself and let us know more about you, your education and practice and any other information you feel relevant. I am personally excited to have the opportunity BWOL has given us Reflexologists to carry on discussions here related to our profession.
Last edited by Dragonflies on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:35 pm

I'll start...

I am a Nationally Board Certified reflexologist with a private, full-time practice here in the States. I attended a massage and bodywork school for my 200 hours in training and have since taken multiple CEU courses. Reflexology is the only bodywork method I practice and that works well for me. I am actively involved in local, national and international associations and Reflexology groups. I am serving a second term on my state association's board of directors this year.

When I am not here on BWOL you may find me on the Reflexologist.biz message board. :)
Last edited by Dragonflies on Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby lunabelle on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:33 am

I am a Certified Reflexologist and member of the Registered Reflexologists Council of Ontario. I took the two year course in reflexology offered by the Ontario College of Reflexologists through correspondence and received 95% on my practical exam on a local teacher.

I am now practicing reflexology full time and building up my practice. I am currently mobile and offer sessions for a large company two days a week.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
lunabelle
Registered Member

Postby Reflexkate on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:30 am

I am a self employed reflexologist in the UK. I qualified about a year ago with the Association of Reflexologists after studying for 1 year. I now practice reflexology on a part time basis while i build up a client base. I would eventually like to do this therapy full time.

Reflexology is the only therapy i am qualified in at the moment, but in the future i would like to gain a few more qualifications, so that i can expand my current practice.

Kate x
Reflexkate
Fresh Hands

Me

Postby askahealer on Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:33 am

Hello everyone:

I've been a spiritual healer and wellness counselor since 1991. I'm a Reiki Master and certified in reflexology, herbology, cranial flight (lst level only; it's a unique form of cranial therapy).

One of my dearest friends is a tremendously gifted LMT and she taught me a great deal about massage. I felt free to ask lots of questions with her, over the years, and feel it was kinda like going to school because we worked together so very often.

I worked with a reflexologist who had been doing it for almost 60 years too, not in an official class but probably so much better than that because I had her to myself. She saw something in me and took time to teach me a lot that only comes from experience.

But the most I've learned about massage and reflexology came from having it done to me, and paying attention at a cellular level.

I seem to have a gift for absorbing what I'm feeling. In other words, I remember the muscle attachments and how a massage releases them one by one. I'm a kinesthetic learner. My setting my intent to remember the way muscles released, and how that felt, I began to understand muscle memory in an organic way.

I also love massage and have probably had more in my life than anyone on this board. Especially the past few years. I've been in a financial situation where I could afford CAM treatments and I've had them very regularly. I've either had massage, reflexology, cranio-sacral work or light tough chiro almost every week for the past four or five years. It's really taught me so much about how the body holds tension. And it's been wonderful for rebuilding my health after a very difficult emotional trauma.

Love it, love it, love it.

Nice to meet everyone.
askahealer
Registered Member

Postby lplkemc on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:33 pm

Hello

I am a Reflexologist here in the UK. I have been practising since 2000.

We are moving to the US within the next year (hopefully) and I am looking into transferring my qualifications for the US. Will start another thread about it! (oh, I am a US citizen and DH is a UK citizen- so once the paperwork is finished...!)
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - george eliot
lplkemc
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm

lplkemc wrote:Hello

We are moving to the US within the next year (hopefully) and I am looking into transferring my qualifications for the US. Will start another thread about it! (oh, I am a US citizen and DH is a UK citizen- so once the paperwork is finished...!)

Welcome! Did you take your reflexology training in the UK or in the US? I'll look for your other post. :D
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby lplkemc on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Dragonflies wrote:
lplkemc wrote:Hello

Welcome! Did you take your reflexology training in the UK or in the US? I'll look for your other post. :D

lol! I left it out! I trained here in the UK. Thank you very much for the welcome.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - george eliot
lplkemc
Fresh Hands

Postby Melita on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Hello!

I am a reflexologist in Michigan. I have been trained in both foot and back reflexology as I mentioned in my other intro post. The woman I have been training under is a retired RN and PT and has been practicing reflexology and massage therapy for around 16 years now. She saw something in me a couple years ago and started working me towards this path and am I ever glad she did! I do a lot of typing for her, and sneaky woman that she is, had me typing her study guides for the classes she teaches, then would ask me to sit the class as a bonus to the money she paid me. She finally said one day "I think you have something and would like to train you to work with me" A year later and here I am.

In addition to reflexology, I also have received my Reiki attunement and while I don't offer Reiki sessions at this time (still too new to it and I'm not comfortable in offering it yet) I do listen to it when doing a reflexology session and let it lead me to where the reflexology is needed most.

A tiny bit of interesting trivia and something that just solidifies my belief that I'm on the right path, 17 years ago, a woman contacted me about typing up some "text books" and certificates for her newly formed school. A school that taught reflexology. I was young and working in a travel agency at the time, so I didn't take the class myself but did the text book and certificates and among the first class was none other than my mentor!
Melita
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:38 am

Melita wrote:A tiny bit of interesting trivia and something that just solidifies my belief that I'm on the right path, 17 years ago, a woman contacted me about typing up some "text books" and certificates for her newly formed school. A school that taught reflexology. I was young and working in a travel agency at the time, so I didn't take the class myself but did the text book and certificates and among the first class was none other than my mentor!

That's very cool! Welcome, again, to the boards! Looking forward to reading more of your posts. :coffee:
Dragonflies
Site Admin

hello

Postby edenmassageandspa on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:18 pm

I am in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and have a massage and spa located near the beach.

I practice Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue / Sport Massage, Reflexology, Shiatsu (Acupressure), Hot Stone Massage and Aromatherapy. Please feel free to visit my website by clicking the link on my signature. Have a blessed day...
edenmassageandspa
Fresh Hands

Re: hello

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:56 pm

edenmassageandspa wrote:I am in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and have a massage and spa located near the beach.

I practice Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue / Sport Massage, Reflexology, Shiatsu (Acupressure), Hot Stone Massage and Aromatherapy. Please feel free to visit my website by clicking the link on my signature. Have a blessed day...

Welcome Eden! Great to have another reflexologist on the board here. What methods and styles of reflexology do you practice?
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Hello

Postby DrD on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi my name's Danielle
I'm a neurophysiologist and I work a lot with reflexotherapy, 3 months ago I moved to Seattle WA I would like to now how to work as a reflexotherapist I tryed to get a licence but nobody even heard about reflexotherapy..
I would like any help..

Thanks
DrD
Fresh Hands

Re: Hello

Postby Rose of Sharon on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:35 pm

DrD wrote:Hi my name's Danielle
I'm a neurophysiologist and I work a lot with reflexotherapy, 3 months ago I moved to Seattle WA I would like to now how to work as a reflexotherapist I tryed to get a licence but nobody even heard about reflexotherapy..
I would like any help..

Thanks

Can you be licensed as a neurophysiologist in WA? From where did you move?
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Re: Hello

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:15 am

DrD wrote:Hi my name's Danielle
I would like any help..

Thanks

Yes, the modality of manipulating points in the feet with finger and thumb pressure in a non-massage manner with the intent to affect the far-reaching organs is called Reflexology here in the United States. Washington has a great Reflexology association, you can find it in this thread, that would make a good contact point for you. I'm not sure if Washington state has a license for Reflexology or not, I'm leaning towards "not" because North Carolina and North Dakota have been the two states with a state license for this modality.

Best of luck to you and I hope you'll join our discussions here and bring your input and experience!
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Thank you

Postby DrD on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 am

Rose Of Sharon.
I am a Dr neurophysiologist in Ukraine-
I'm not trying to be a neurophysiologist In WA.. that means I got to take all the exams to become a Doctor..

the only thing that I would like to know if is there anybody who works with reflexotherapy ..and if you need a licence to practice it in US.

Dragonflies
I know what Reflexology is .. I want to work with diagnostic and therapy not only reflexo.

Thank you for write me back ..

I apologise for bad English. :)
DrD
Fresh Hands

Re: Thank you

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:38 am

DrD wrote:Rose Of Sharon.
I am a Dr neurophysiologist in Ukraine-
I'm not trying to be a neurophysiologist In WA.. that means I got to take all the exams to become a Doctor..

the only thing that I would like to know if is there anybody who works with reflexotherapy ..and if you need a licence to practice it in US.

Dragonflies
I know what Reflexology is .. I want to work with diagnostic and therapy not only reflexo.

Thank you for write me back ..

I apologise for bad English. :)

Perhaps I can be of better assistance if you can explain what reflexotherapy is in your country.

If you are using any modality for diagnostic purposes then you will need to be licensed as a medical doctor. Here in the U.S. you cannot treat for specific conditions or ailments nor can you diagnose or prescribe without a medical license.

Oh, and privyet!
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby DrD on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:36 pm

What is ReflexoTherapy.
Many people who practice Reflexology never heard about Reflexotherapy..
Reflexotherapy is a science based on practice, a technique of treatment consisting of instep, palm and head massage on areas corresponding to each organ. It is associated to the alternative medicine and is originary from Egyptian and Chinese antiquity; it is as ancient as acupuncture and presspuncture.
Reflexotherapy, sometimes associated with a general therapeutical massage, requires a certain life style and diet. This way, the body reaches a balance and the harmful action of metabolic residues is considerably diminished. A body balance can be reached by massaging the reflex points of the instep corresponding to nervous, cardiovascular, endocrin and lymphatic systems, sensorial or internal organs that build the human body.
The duration of the treatment depends on each person's response. Twelve meetings are enough for incipient diseases, while for chronic diseases treatment can take up to 20-25 sessions, depending on pacient's age and how old the disease is. The required time for a meeting may vary from 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the disease. In special cases, a meeting can last 60 minutes. When all meetings are over, pacients have to follow maintenance meetings once a week or even once every two months.
Reflexotherapy has counter-indications, therefore it can only be practiced by qualified personnel with medical knowledge.
Reflexotherapy removes toxins collected along the years, stimulating all functions of human body. The huge advantage of this therapy is that it can treat diseases already traced out as well as disorders not yet discovered and also liabilities to different diseases, eliminating the producing causes.
In order to achieve a visible, long effect of the reflexotherapy, pacients who go for this way of treatment have to adopt a balanced life style and to avoid all kind of excesses like tobacco, alcohol, coffee, fat food, stress, disorderly sexual life. During treatment, pacients also have to keep following the medication given by their family doctor. After reflexotherapeutical treatment different medical tests will evidence a change of parameters. This is when the doctor decides whether to change the medication or to stop it.
Very good results can be achieved against stress, headaches, sleeplessness, sexual impotency, liver and biliary diseases, diabetes, - endocrine disorders, prostatitis, constipation, period control, menopause disorders, osteoporosis, fatness, rheumatism, disorders of digestive, circulatory , genital, urinary systems, ocular and vertebral column disorders (sciatica, spondylosis, neck disorders etc).
The main purpose of reflexotherapy is to remove toxins from nervous endings, to regain strength of blood circulation in poor areas, treating existing diseases, tracing others not yet discovered, together with the elimination of the producing causes.

Why Reflexotherapy.

(Counter-indications in reflexotherapy treatment)

* Absolute counter indications
-When pacient has suffered phlebitis or thrombophlebitis
-Acute vein and lymphatic systems inflamation. In this case, there is a risk of some dot elimination which can cause embolism or the spreading of the infection through lymphatic system.
-In case of strange materials near vital organs or systems (e.g. sharp bony fragments arround the neck or aorta)
-Organ transplant
-Aneurism

* Relative counter indications
-Pacients with leg Sudeck atrophy cannot be treated at the affected leg because a massive blood irrigation can cause tissue problems.
-Leg gangrene
-pacients suffering from diabetes or a late symptom of a chilblain or other severe blood circulation disorders
-Leg spred eczema or general mycosis (Athlete disease). It is a contagious situation and so the mycosis area must not be treated because skin could get more irritable.
-Acute rheumatic diseases which affect the leg. In this case, easy, careful movements will be made.

*Relative additional counter indications
-Infections and high temperature diseases
-Psychosis and schizophrenia

Patients

Anyone can enjoy the treatment, even without doctor's recommendation. In phase 1, a reflexogen diagnose is made together with a treatment record and a treatment scheme. During treatment, the pacient is kept posted with his evolution and all changes occurred are being registered.

Diagnostic and Treatment

At the begining of the sessions in reflexotherapy you search for health problems that the patient has.
after finding a diagnostic you start a treatment for the patient through massage and natural medicine.
Treating illness without knowledge and experience you could aggravate and disturb the nervous system and internal organs.

Secondary effects of reflexotherapy

Secondary effects may occur, such as: increased tiredness, fever, perspiration, sickness, change of urine smell and colour , diarrhoea, milkleg dilatation. Some of these are a consequence of toxin elimination and there is no reason to worry.

Why reflexotherapy?

Reflexotherapy can be used as independent or additional treatment for many acute or chronic diseases;
It is a manual method and therefore each pacient can receive an individual approach;
It is compatible with most medical and therapeutical methods;
Economical in application, it takes action over the basic. cause without eliminating the symptoms;
The results are persuasive and the effects are spontaneously noticed during treatment.
DrD
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 am

DrD,

What is the actual application of techniques and on what parts of the body? I've read, and been told by a colleague who practices sujok therapy, that reflexotherapy in some countries employs acupuncture needles, magnets, and laser light. Here Reflexology is limited to finger and thumb techniques and the maps of the feet, hands, ears and sometimes face (depending on the licensing of the practitioner).

If this is how you practice you will need to obtain a license in Acupuncture to use the needles. If this is the case I think you should be contacting your local branch of the Acupuncture association to find out the steps to be licensed there in Washington.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Re: Hi! Reflexologist in NE Ohio

Postby empresslori on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:01 am

My name is Doug Holland. I've been practicing for the last 11 years. I was first certified by IIR and then in 2001 by the Advanced Integrative Medical Institute at the Capitol University of Medicine in Washington, DC. I practice in two locations in NE Ohio (Cortland and Niles) and most recently I just opened up my own school (Holland Reflexology Institute) to teach my method. I've been wanting to share some of the things I've learned for a long time so I decided to start posting some tips on youtube and a few forums to help develop interest in reflexology. I hope to share some of those tips here and am looking forward to exchanging ideas.

Doug
empresslori
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 am

empresslori wrote:My name is Doug Holland. I've been practicing for the last 11 years. I was first certified by IIR and then in 2001 by the Advanced Integrative Medical Institute at the Capitol University of Medicine in Washington, DC. I practice in two locations in NE Ohio (Cortland and Niles) and most recently I just opened up my own school (Holland Reflexology Institute) to teach my method. I've been wanting to share some of the things I've learned for a long time so I decided to start posting some tips on youtube and a few forums to help develop interest in reflexology. I hope to share some of those tips here and am looking forward to exchanging ideas.

Doug

:smt006 Welcome Doug!
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby empresslori on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:24 am

Dragonflies wrote:
empresslori wrote:My name is Doug Holland. I've been practicing for the last 11 years. I was first certified by IIR and then in 2001 by the Advanced Integrative Medical Institute at the Capitol University of Medicine in Washington, DC. I practice in two locations in NE Ohio (Cortland and Niles) and most recently I just opened up my own school (Holland Reflexology Institute) to teach my method. I've been wanting to share some of the things I've learned for a long time so I decided to start posting some tips on youtube and a few forums to help develop interest in reflexology. I hope to share some of those tips here and am looking forward to exchanging ideas.

Doug

:smt006 Welcome Doug!

Thanks! This is a great site. I read many threads last night and hope to respond to a few of them.

Doug
empresslori
Fresh Hands

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts