Promoting a small massage business in a small town

Links, cover letters, brochure information, articles and other items which can be put to use in practice and when approaching others in the health care fields.

Moderators: JLWmassage, Pete

Promoting a small massage business in a small town

Postby karsky1 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:02 pm

hello everyone!
i would like to ask for anyone who is going to read this for some tip that has helped them promote their business or even if you work @ a salon how do they promote themselves..
here's a little history on me and my business. i took my board in nov. and opened up my little massage shop in a small town, there's only me as the massage therapist. but my whole thing is i would love to be busier than i am right now i am possible getting ten clients a wk. but before christmas i was super busy i mean i was getting phone calls left and right and i was booked straight threw a day. I would like to be that busy again. Please any suggestions for boosting my little busy please reply. thanks to all:)
here are a few of the things that i did in Dec. to promote my business:
1. i got and gave out business cards to every business around town
2. i put up flyers and panthlets around town
3. i put adds in the new paper and did a radio advertisment
4. i got some magnets for me and my boyfriends vechical that promote my busy...
if anyone has any great ideas...please i will be more than happy to take what i can get for suggestions or whatever has helped you out...thank you to everyone:) :)
karsky1
Fresh Hands

Postby shannah on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 am

Hi. There are alot of wonderful marketing ideas here in the forum already posted. (Creative, Low Cost Marketing...) As for growing a small business in a small town, here are some things that have worked for me.

Get out in the community and make contacts
Word of mouth is a small town's best marketing tool. Eat lunch at the local diner. Make yourself visible and approachable. Participate in a school function or community volunteer activity. You have lots of time right now and its free - make it work for you.

Always have business cards
Leave some with your local salon, on the table after a meal out, whenever you mention what you do, hand one out. They should be distinct to you and your business, so that when ppl see them they think of you.

Speak with doctors, stylists, chiros, the local gym -
anyone who may interact with stressful ppl and could reccomend a good therapist (you!). Work something out as far as a referral system with them or even give them a sample of your work so they feel comfortable recommending to you.

Rebooks are key!
Getting patients to rebook was the best way to fill up my schedule. I didn't offer a discount on rebooks but alot of ppl do. Keep them happy and they keep coming back! Your current patient/client core is a fantastic place to pull promos and mailings from. Develop discounts, specials and referrals from and for them.

Keep at it!
It can be frustrating at times, but if you were busy at Christmas, ppl know you are there and will spread the good news. Good luck!
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you forget the words.
shannah
Registered Member

Postby rezod on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Get a website! Having a presence on the web is really important these days. And affordable! I have my site hosted by Yahoo and I built it myself.

Granted, it's not the fanciest site in the world but it was pretty easy considering I hadn't done it before, and the information is out there.

Cross link your site with as many reputable companies in your area as you can.

Offer coupons to your current clients for them and a friend.

Talk to your local radio station and see if they have any kind of trade for air time. I did this and it's the best thing I've done so far. I gave them so many GC's to sell at half price and they gave me advertising in exchange. Make sure that the station is geared towards your target market.

Don't rule out surrounding areas!!! I have regular clients that will drive almost an hour to see me and I live in a pretty populated area.

Is your office in a good location? Near where people shop?

Shannah is right on when she says to talk to anyone and everyone.

I am a shameless self promoter and you have to be in order to get the client in the door. What's the worst that could happen if you talk to someone you don't know? They may not use your service but they may know someone who could!

Set goals on a regular basis as to where you want to be.
Best of luck! Keep me posted on your progress :)
rezod
Registered Member

Postby AngEngland on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:17 am

I agree with all of this. I'm in a very small town so when I volunteered for the Children's Miracle network drive I made sure the newspaper printed the press release article.

(Note - I WROTE the article and hand delivered to the paper, but they printed it) Three of the clients who came hat day for the "free" (donation basis only) ten minute chair massages have become my clients and two ppl saw my name in the paper and looked me up. Any newspaper exposure like this is really helpful.

I print out the newsletters ABMP offers and take a stack to local hair/nail/tanning salons and the workout gym.

I make sure DH always has business cards in case someone mentions it. How many people say to him "Oh wow - massage, eh? I should give her a call sometime" and don't really mean it. But then if he hands them a business card and says "You really should- she knows what she's doing" they actually begin to consider it. :-)

Angela <><
AngEngland
Registered Member

Re: Promoting a small massage business in a small town

Postby Eileen R on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:24 pm

I know this is an older thread BUT ...

I did an interview with a Tama Bevin, who is an MT in Sitka, AK (pop. 9000), a couple years back. Tama is a great go-getter and broad thinker. She impressed me with her understanding of how vital it is to understand where you are going and what you want to accomplish.
http://www.naturaltouchmarketing.com/NT ... ewTama.php
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. —Terry Pratchett
Eileen R
Fresh Hands

Re: Promoting a small massage business in a small town

Postby mtnlionz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:00 am

I know Tama! She's been to a couple of trainings I did in Juneau, and is a wonderful and thoughtful practitioner. She does indeed put a lot of love and energy into her practice.
Nice article, thanks for posting the link, Eileen.
mtnlionz
Registered Member

Return to Professional Marketing Materials