Pityriasis Rosea

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Pityriasis Rosea

Postby kemilyna on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 am

Hi everyone!

I've been quiet for a while, I know. Lots going on, but it's good to be back! :)

I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with a skin disorder called Pityriasis Rosea. I have broken out with this (My MD says it is either that or eczema and it looks and behaves just like the Pityriasis so I'm going with that). It is not contagious, and fortunately, it's mostly in places where I can keep it covered. As in, all over my shoulders, belly, back, and hips :P.

I am in the "lucky" 25% of cases where the rash itches. Just enough to bug me, not enough to make me want to pull my hair out. (Most cases don't itch at all).

Western medicine says put some steroid cream on it and wait it out, anywhere from a couple of weeks to 3 months. :(

Anyone out there heard of any alternate treatments that will make it go away faster? I am desperate for a massage but right now the itching makes that impossible. Plus I miss my hot showers :(. Help?

Em
kemilyna
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:11 am

We treated it with sunlight/tanning booth exposure for just a few minutes at a time, twice a day when my child had it. Oatmeal or saltwater baths are also helpful in easing the itching.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby AnastasiaB on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Kemilyna -

Hubby dearest has had bouts with pityriasis rosea. One thing that seemed to help him quite a bit was bathing with a ti tree oil bodywash daily. He had the "itchies" too, and said he didn't feel like the itchiness was as bad when he used the ti tree oil bodywash.

He found a bodywash that smelled really nice at Walmart, of all places, that wasn't too expensive. Since his skin is acting up again, looks like I'll be getting more of it for him soon.

Maybe that would help you also.
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com
AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Postby stonegirl on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Hey Kemilyna,

I have this right now too!! how funny... :lol:
Mine doesn't itch though, sorry to hear yours does. Since mine isn't bothersome at all, I'm just letting it run it's course. I have had massage cupping done on it on my back, which was pretty cool because you could literally see it drawing it out or more to the surface. (looked terrible after that!) I purposely didn't do cupping on my stomach so I could see if it disappeared any quicker after cupping.
Mine appears to be totally gone until I take a shower - the hot water makes it noticeable again. so long story short, I don't really have any answers for you, lol.
stonegirl

Postby kemilyna on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Rose of Sharon, that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to check around - it's too cold to sunbathe here right now LOL. I should have gone with my friend to Florida like she wanted! :D

Thanks for the tea tree suggestion, Anastasia. I'll pick mine up from my office tomorrow and mix up a little concoction. Anything that will help with the itch!

And Stonegirl, I'm sorry to hear you are a fellow-sufferer. :P Isn't it just a lovely little rash? I hadn't thought of cupping. I have a set of cups - now I just need to find someone willing to use them on me :D

All-in-all even with following dr's orders (a thing I'm not usually very good at), no change today. Ugh. Except it seems to be creeping up my neck. I'm going to be giving massages in a scarf if it keeps this up. :P

Thanks to all for the responses! :)

Emily
kemilyna
Registered Member

Return to Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure