What's your favorite product?

Reflexology practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderator: Dragonflies

What's your favorite product?

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:49 am

I've found Origins' body souffles are pretty nice. What do you use during your session?<br><br>I used to use Biotone's Foot Therapy Lotion but it gave me incredibly dry, cracky and itchy skin.  :(
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Re: What's your favorite product?

Postby gracefulbeing on Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:33 am

I do not use any lotion during the session.  I end with a massage using Badger Foot Balm.  I was attracted to it because they use cardomom (scaninavian blood here) I love the smell, it reminds me of home.   The only down side is that you have to heat it in your hands first, since it is a balm (beeswax).  Good side to that is it is warm when you put it on the feet.<br><br>gracefulbeing  :)
gracefulbeing
Fresh Hands

Postby sagetherapist on Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:46 am

Dragonflies (and All!),<br>Have you ever tried hoof cream? (doesn't that sound UNcomplimentary? I tell my clients its only for prize-winning thoroughbreds! ha)<br><br>I am not a Reflexologist, but really endeavor to work the feet well in my massage. I find I have a really good balance between slip & control with this.<br><br>Another product I like to use is fro Got2Be products. Its a minty & very thick/emolient foot cream. Called something like Sole  ___. Its a hioliday & I am not at work & at a loss for the 'name'.<br><br>In my other postings about cupping massage, the links/articles there talk about Reflexologists using the microcupping sets to get great results in their R therapies. Any thoughts?<br><br>Jill/sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:14 am

Dragonflies (and All!),

Have you ever tried hoof cream? (doesn't that sound UNcomplimentary? I tell my clients its only for prize-winning thoroughbreds! ha)

I am not a Reflexologist, but really endeavor to work the feet well in my massage. I find I have a really good balance between slip & control with this.

Another product I like to use is fro Got2Be products. Its a minty & very thick/emolient foot cream. Called something like Sole  ___. Its a hioliday & I am not at work & at a loss for the 'name'.

In my other postings about cupping massage, the links/articles there talk about Reflexologists using the microcupping sets to get great results in their R therapies. Any thoughts?

Jill/sagetherapist

Hi Jill,

I've never tried hoof cream on my human clients.  :D Hmmm, didn't expect to get a suggestion like that. LOL.

I've never actually heard of microcupping during a reflexology treatment. If you can't find anyone out there practicing this I would suggest you give it a spin, who knows, you might be teaching microcupping for the feet!  :)
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:00 pm

I am having a friend make an "autumn blend" cream for the transition from the lemonade/tangerine cream I've been using all summer. However, I don't have any good ideas for the foot soak part. The cream will have vetivert and other "earthy" essential oils for grounding. Any suggestions for a bath salt I can buy that would compliment the cream? I don't have the time to make the salts on my own.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Sally Hansen

Postby weh9800 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:58 pm

At the CVS and Wal Greens pharmacy they sell a foot lotion by Sally Hansen. This is hands down the best foot lotion out there and I have tried most of them.

In the summer I leave my foot lotions on my dashboard before working on feet. The hot sun warms the lotion and the people I work on love it!
weh9800
Fresh Hands

Re: Sally Hansen

Postby Dragonflies on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:17 pm

weh9800 wrote:In the summer I leave my foot lotions on my dashboard before working on feet. The hot sun warms the lotion and the people I work on love it!

What a clever idea! I've been putting the lotion or cream containers on my foot stone heater and covering it with the hand towels I plan to use in a session. By the time my client arrives (I setup about 45 minutes beforehand), the medium is warm and the towels are warm, very yummy.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby SDorje on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:41 pm

I don't use any creams or lotions. Seems to interfere with the session. However, after the session, if requested, I will apply an essential oil or blend and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Other than inhalation, absorption through the feet is the quickest way to get the oils into the clients tissue. Especially after a Reflexology session when the circulation in the feet is elevated.
Alternative Therapies aren't just about the "hours of training", it's also about compassion, insight and respect for your client!
www.energywork.massagetherapy.com
SDorje
Fresh Hands

Postby shivashiva on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:49 pm

SDorje wrote:Other than inhalation, absorption through the feet is the quickest way to get the oils into the clients tissue. Especially after a Reflexology session when the circulation in the feet is elevated.

Please tell me why this is so! :) I have heard this recently from several different systems: Ayurveda, Aromatherapy, and now Reflexology. What is the theory behind it? I see the feet (in my subjective opinion--no science here!) as being rather solid and not very absorbing. Whats up?
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby SDorje on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Dear Shivashiva,
The reason absorption is so quick is because of the increased circulation as stated, also the nerves in the feet (especially the plantar surface) are very close to the surface of the foot and are very dense there. One of the reasons for this is the nerves located there also help the body keep a sense of balance, literally. (Tender feet!) Also, when I give a Reflexology treatment I dorsaflex the foot, thus thinning out the skin to be able to get to the reflex points more completely. A concentration of nerves, blood and thin tissue all help the oils absorb more quickly. Hope this helps. Thanks, Stephen Dorje
Alternative Therapies aren't just about the "hours of training", it's also about compassion, insight and respect for your client!
www.energywork.massagetherapy.com
SDorje
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:56 pm

sagetherapist wrote:Another product I like to use is fro Got2Be products. Its a minty & very thick/emolient foot cream. Called something like Sole  ___.

Was it Soothing Soles? I just found an item reviewed with that name on epinions: http://www99.epinions.com/review/got2b_ ... 6144522884

weh9800 wrote:At the CVS and Wal Greens pharmacy they sell a foot lotion by Sally Hansen. This is hands down the best foot lotion out there and I have tried most of them.

I located the Sally Hansen website. When you get time, could you give us the exact name of the item you are speaking about?
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby MarionFM on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:36 pm

I don't use anything during the session, but I absolutely love a product that's new to me this fall - Peppermint Pedango. It has Arnica and who knows what all in it. It is wonderful and between that and the increased Halibut Liver Oil I am taking, the cracks on my heels (that have been there for at least 3 years) have cleared up completely.

The product is also thought to soothe varicose veins - and clients with varicose veins do love it.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:57 am

I use a sparse amount of lotion or cream in sessions during the Fall and Winter when feet are especially dry. Rarely do I use lotions specific for feet because of the overuse of mint scents in them. Not only is it boring but it is also contraindicated for a good chunk of my client base. But here a few brands I've been using recently that I like (note, this isn't an endorsement for a specific product, just sharing):
- Alba Botanica - unscented
- Alba Botanica - Acai rainforest
- mamma mio - wonderfull balm with manuka - this one has been great on the cracked heels and dry patches of my expecting clients' feet, a little too sticky to use for the whole foot or session but if I'm doing a hands, feet and ears session I put this on their feet first, wrap the feet in heated towels, start with the hands and ears and by the time I get to the feet the balm has soaked in enough to not be sticky or too slick to thumb walk on. :)

There's another product that I can't remember the name off the top of my head that I tried over the summer. Nice foot lotion with organic ingredients.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Jenn@AttunedMotion on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:31 am

My favorite lotions are made by Eminence Organics, they make delicious smelling handmade organic products in a ton of scents and combinations! You can also use it quite sparingly and it goes a long way! I think this is wonderful when paired with a paraffin dip as well!
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields
Jenn@AttunedMotion
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:11 am

Jenn@AttunedMotion wrote:My favorite lotions are made by Eminence Organics, they make delicious smelling handmade organic products in a ton of scents and combinations! You can also use it quite sparingly and it goes a long way! I think this is wonderful when paired with a paraffin dip as well!

I'll have to try them out Jenn, I've seen them on the shelves at Whole Foods and such but I don't think I've tried them yet for Reflexology.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Kerstin Florian Fut Balm

http://www.kerstinflorianusa.com/mm5/me ... gory_Code=

KEY INGREDIENTS:
MENTHOL Refreshing, stimulating, antifungal. ROSEMARY Astringent, antiseptic, antioxidant. A natural deodorant. LAVENDER OIL Soothing, helps to normalize and balance the body. PINE OIL Soothes tired feet. Invigorating. Antiseptic.

We buy it buy the tub!
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby GreenDragonfly on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Wow R&R I hope you are getting a discount. I just checked it out and it is $32.75 for 4.5oz!! Sounds really really nice though!!
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Postby Jenn@AttunedMotion on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:53 am

Dragonflies wrote:
Jenn@AttunedMotion wrote:My favorite lotions are made by Eminence Organics, they make delicious smelling handmade organic products in a ton of scents and combinations! You can also use it quite sparingly and it goes a long way! I think this is wonderful when paired with a paraffin dip as well!

I'll have to try them out Jenn, I've seen them on the shelves at Whole Foods and such but I don't think I've tried them yet for Reflexology.

Oh my gosh I love eminence products! They smell so good, have a great glide, and each product is handmade in Hungary with subterranean lake water or something! I know that it works though! My nails grow like crazy when I do a lot of treatments with it! And because they have tons of different scents you can create all kinds of fun protocols!!!
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields
Jenn@AttunedMotion
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:51 pm

Jenn@AttunedMotion wrote:Oh my gosh I love eminence products! They smell so good, have a great glide, and each product is handmade in Hungary with subterranean lake water or something! I know that it works though! My nails grow like crazy when I do a lot of treatments with it! And because they have tons of different scents you can create all kinds of fun protocols!!!

Now Jenn, are you a Reflexologist? I'm not looking for much "glide" in my products. In fact, I don't want anything that is slick or will have my thumbs sliding around on the feet. Looks like these guys, after a google search, are mostly marketed to spas so actually getting a bottle would be a project. Before I consider that I'd like to get a better sense of whether it would be worth the time or if this is a product left for foot massage and not foot Reflexology. Lemme' know when you get moment.
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Jenn@AttunedMotion on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi Drangonflies,
I'm not a certified reflexologist, but I have taken a class on it, and I read a few books on the subject. No expert by any means, but I like to work on feet, I think they hold a lot of tension! Our spa offers it, so I give my own mixed version of reflexology, swedish massage and stretching. I usually start by following the meridians down the feet without lotion, then I use a little lotion to add in some effleurage and then joint movements and stretching. You can buy samples of eminence on Ebay pretty cheap, and since you don't need a lot of glide you can try it a few times and see what you think! There a TON of different varieties so check out their website first and see what you want lol!
~Tiffany Fields
Jenn@AttunedMotion
Registered Member

Postby GreenDragonfly on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Jenn@AttunedMotion wrote:Hi Drangonflies,
I'm not a certified reflexologist, but I have taken a class on it, and I read a few books on the subject. No expert by any means, but I like to work on feet, I think they hold a lot of tension! Our spa offers it, so I give my own mixed version of reflexology, swedish massage and stretching. I usually start by following the meridians down the feet without lotion, then I use a little lotion to add in some effleurage and then joint movements and stretching. You can buy samples of eminence on Ebay pretty cheap, and since you don't need a lot of glide you can try it a few times and see what you think! There a TON of different varieties so check out their website first and see what you want lol!

Which scents do you like the most and I just checked them out at Amazon.. which products do you use? Is it the treatment creme or the night creme? I love new lotions! The people I am working with so far either like NO scent or really nice scents.
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Return to Reflexology Business, Marketing, Products & Ethics