Nueralgia

BWOL is a board group for professional practitioners. This section is the ONLY PLACE allocated for clients to post and ask questions about massage and related items. -- INAPPROPRIATE POSTS WILL BE DELETED & TROLLS WILL BE BANNED FROM THE FORUM.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Nueralgia

Postby jojolady on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:40 pm

Hello MT's,

I need some advice/help. I am currently a massage student and am looking forward to obtaining and learning as much as I can.

The reason I'm here is because I have a condition called nueralgia. Has anyone heard of it? I donated a kidney to my dad 8 years ago. I don't regret my decision and am glad and feel blessed I could be there for him. I did however sustain this condition from the surgery. It took about 6 years to finally get a diagnosis and I'm still suffering from it. Does anyone know or recommend any type of massage that may be able to help with this? I've tried every pill under the sun, every excercise, lost 30 pounds and although I feel better from the weight loss, the nerve pain is still there.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
JF
jojolady
Fresh Hands

Postby dodab on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:59 pm

Welcome jojo! We hope you like it here at BWOL!

To help you answer your question, I have heard of Nueralgia, my question to you is the location of the pain you are having. You mentioned the kidney donation, and I am assuming that is the location of the pain you are having. I just wanted to ask to make sure.
"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way.
But must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer
dodab
Registered Member

Nueralgia

Postby jojolady on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Hello and thanks for the welcome. This site is very useful!

My incision begins in the posterior lower lumbar region and wraps around anteriorly. My back area is fairly strong, but the front lower pelvic region is where I have superficial numbness, burning sensations and sharp pulsating pain at times. At other times it is a dull ache but the dull ache only seems to occur deep into the muscles. I'm wondering if I may also have a scar tissue buildup.
Thanks!
JF
jojolady
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:23 pm

Have you considered acupuncture and/or reflexology as well? I understand that both have been helpful with treating neuralgia.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby dodab on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:13 am

My first thougths, according to your discription, is adhesions in the insision area. Next, have they taken any x-rays to eliminate the possiblity of (gulp! :shock: ) any thing left in the abdominal area? This of course would be the worse case senario, but covering all the bases never hurts either. If that has been done, some acupunture or reflexology for the area would be an option as Dragonflies said. Next perhaps some skin rolling and gently working on the adhesions may be helpful, but could be some what painful also. Energy work such as Reiki or Polarity may be an option too. Perhaps some one else has some thoughts?
"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way.
But must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer
dodab
Registered Member

Neuralgia

Postby jojolady on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:05 am

Thanks all for suggestions and advice. I started physical therapy since my last posting and the pain is 80% gone. The suggestion for the adhesions was also on point. Between working on breaking the adhesions and doing the daily excercises for strengthning the atrophied muscles, it's almost gone!

Thanks again. I hope one day I can be of assistance as you all have assisted me.
JF
jojolady
Fresh Hands

Postby dodab on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:48 am

Great JoJo! I'm glad to hear that your problem is on the way to recovery. Good luck in school! :smt006
dodab
Registered Member

Postby nybor7 on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:41 pm

Also do some research on Meralgia Paresthetica.
One of the massage magazines had a wonderful article on it.The LFCN is affected. Trauma and even ADLS such as wearing a toolbelt or gun belt(cop) could trigger symptoms.
Tweens are being discouraged by some good MDs to not wear hip huggers, or tight ones at least as the placement of the waistband can aggravate the LFCN and cause symptoms.

Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

Return to Clients Talk About Massage