Raindrop Technique

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Raindrop Technique

Postby massageinTexas on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:35 pm

Has anyone worked with the Raindrop Technique? It is where you use about 13 essential oils down the spine and lightly massage them in. Their therapeutic uses are amazing and it feels awesome.

However, the reason why I'm asking is one of the fellow therapists I work with does this technique often and at times he gets a skin reaction and it can get quite severe. I was wondering if anyone has had the same reaction and what they did to get rid of it.

He thinks one of the oils that causes the problem is the oregeno. So if anyone out there has had the problem or know of anyone who has. Can anyone help me.

Thanks so much

Trish
Trish Daniel, RMT
www.kneadingmassage.net
massageinTexas
Registered Member

Postby Kneadfulthings on Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:52 am

A little off your question, however still slightly relevant...

I have not received this treatment personally, however while I was at Convention in July (FSMTA) I was in an aromatherapy class when a vendor (aroma) came in and spoke briefly about a specific oil. In response to a question a student had, she stated that there are now documented cases of muscular atrophy along the spine in some people who receive the "Raindrop " therapy on a semi-regular basis due to the oils being used on the body in a non-diluted way.

Maybe she was biased because it was not her product, I have no idea. But it does agree with everything I have ever heard about most oils - they must be diluted with some sort of carrier (except lav & Tea Tree, of course, and even then there are some concerns)

I am sure Melb will have plenty of info for you...
Barter for bodywork, lotion, travel ... even CEU's!

http://www.bodyworkshops.com
Destination: Success! Create your perfect practice!
Kneadfulthings
Registered Member

Postby StressSolutions on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:33 am

Yes those EOs are "hot"...esp oregeno. All my reading has indicated that there are only 2 oils to apply "neat" and like has already been said, they are lavendar and tea tree. And some people react to lavendar.

Just seems wrong to drip those oils on directly. Wouldn't a mixture be better? the sum of the whole is greater than the parts...
StressSolutions

Postby massageinTexas on Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:30 am

Appreciate the comments.

The only person it seems to be affecting is the person doing the Raindrop Technique. So go figure. And I mean by affecting by causing a rash on his skin.

Trish
Trish Daniel, RMT
www.kneadingmassage.net
massageinTexas
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:43 am

massageinTexas wrote:Appreciate the comments.

The only person it seems to be affecting is the person doing the Raindrop Technique. So go figure. And I mean by affecting by causing a rash on his skin.

Trish

That makes sense, as he is the one being most regularly exposed to those undiluted oils. I had a client request raindrop therapy once, and after reading about it, was able to very confidently tell her I would not be getting trained in this, nor would I ever be willing to receive it.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby maestra on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:09 am

Thoughts on Young Living Oils:
http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276

Thoughts about Raindrop Therapy:
http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2501

Raindrop Therapy:
http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3110

Raindrop Therapy:
http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2555

Raindrop technique:
http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2284

There are also posts by Melb regarding Young Living/Raindrop therapy in posts about Aromatherapy. No need IMO, to wait for her to restate things she's said before when one can find info on Raindrop Therapy by using BWOL's search function.

Best Aromatherapy and Massage oils:
http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=258

AROMATHERAPY MASSAGE:
http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1981

It's possible he's having some kind of reaction Trish. I've never done raindrop on a consistent basis as I don't offer it as a regular part of my menu of services. Though I have done it for family members.
We have to remember that whatever essential oils we use on our clients are absorbed by us as well. I hope he is feeling better soon.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Re: Raindrop Technique

Postby melb on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Yes, the search function does work well, and that covers most of my "don't do RDT as YL tell you to" preaching.
massageinTexas wrote:He thinks one of the oils that causes the problem is the oregeno.
He's right - oregeno is a known skin irritant, as is clove which I think is also in the RDT oils...

A "hot" oil does not mean it is releasing stored toxins, it means the oil is giving you a chemical burn, put a skin irritant on your skin and some people will react, some will not, put a known skin irritant on the same skin often and you are more likely to have a reaction than a single exposure.
Last edited by melb on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melb
Registered Member

Postby massageinTexas on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:56 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I agree that I question Young Living and their techniques.

Thanks again.

Trish
Trish Daniel, RMT
www.kneadingmassage.net
massageinTexas
Registered Member

Postby cy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:23 am

Having studied herbology for many years, I was in shock when I first learned about raindrop therapy. In every herbal I own, several of those oils are specifically contraindicated for direct application on the skin. After doing some research online on Young Living Oils and Raindrop Therapy, I stand by my education, experience and intuition. Not only do I believe that treatment to be ineffective, but downright dangerous.

I love herbs and essential oils as a natural, holistic treatment method for many dysfuntions. But I think that our society has a propensity to view herbs and essential oils as "safe" due to the mere fact that they are natural. There are many poisons in nature. And they can really mess a person up. I really wish that the FDA would get on the bandwagon already so that not only will the purity of the herbs and oils that we purchase be controlled, but so that proper application and dosage and contraindications will all be labeled on these products.
cy
Registered Member

Postby BJB-LMP on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:04 pm

Dude! I think Raindrop is a crock, too - but I don't want the FDA involved. Look what happened to stevia! We wouldn't even be able to get our hands on EOs if the government came into it.

Sorry for the derail.
-Beccy
BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Postby highlandbodyworks on Thu May 01, 2008 2:09 pm

I think everyone's experiences are different with Raindrop. I do it, and personally have never had a problem with the oils on the client or on me. I am also careful though not to have any synthetic products around - plastic bottles, not cotton/synthetic blended sheets, nail polish, etc that can react with the oils.

Everyone has a different experience. I've found, though, that most of the people I talked to that had a problem with Raindrop were doing a number of different things - not following the protocol, not using Young Living oils, having nail polish or acrylic nails on (OUCH!), putting on a fake tanner beforehand, etc - the list goes on.
highlandbodyworks
Registered Member

Postby rocky on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:52 pm

The Raindrop Technique is a method of using Vita Flex, reflexology, massage techniques, etc., and essential oils applied on various locations of the body to bring it structural and electrical alignment. It is designed to bring balance to the body with its relaxing and mild application. It will help align the energy centers of the body and release them if blocked, without using hard pressure or trying to force the body to change, which should never be done.
rocky
rocky
Fresh Hands

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:16 pm

There's a lot of red flags with regards to this technique and most folks practicing the "Raindrop Therapy" are a.) lacking full aromatherapy training/certification, b.) under the misinformation that undiluted essential oil applications to the skin is safe, c.) practicing without regards to safety standards set forth by a wide number of aromatherapy associations both domestic and International.

Some info from the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy on RDT.
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Return to Aromatherapy