Do you receive many requests for Aromatherapy?

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Do you receive many requests for Aromatherapy?

Postby andrea C on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:01 am

I am just starting out in my career and am thinking of incorporating Aromatherapy.
Is there many requests for the use of Aromatherapy in your sessions?

I have read a lot of the topics/posts here and some links are broken. Does anyone know of an online home study class so I can familiarize myself with Aromatherapy?
Thank you
andrea C
Fresh Hands

Re: Do you receive many requests for Aromatherapy?

Postby squash_blsm on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 am

As wonderful as aromatherapy is, I get very few requests for it.
And when I do, 9 out of 10 times they ask for lavender - which is far from my favorite aroma to work with.

Because I love it, I incorporate essential oils into my regular massages...
- I scent my hot towels
- I use a special sinus blend when client turns over to help clear their sinuses
- During cold and flu season I will often use "Thieves"

Although I use a few of their blends, I am not a fan of the Young Living essestial oils - that's a personal decision of mine. Some people think that their oils are the be all and end all of all therapeutic essential oils...meh, I don't. :grin:

One of the best ways to learn in the beginning is to just start using essential oils - there will be a few aromas/blends that you find you keep going back to and using. Pick up used or borrow as many books as you can.

I don't know enough about any on-line courses that would give you a good solid education. I have purchased many books on the subject and got a little bit out of all of them (including the book that Young Living uses to "prescribe"). I have long since sold all of the books - I don't think I kept any of them.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby EgoMagickian on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 am

I think this is the best place to learn aromatherapy online: http://www.aromamedical.com/ They teach aromatherapy safety based on actual research; this is crucial if you're going to be applying essential oils to human skin.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby andrea C on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:57 pm

Thank you squash_blsm...

Would you share your recipe for the sinus relief?
A client of mine had already mentioned that his prior therapist gave him something to inhale for sinus congestion after his massage. Not knowing enough about aromatherapy, I wasn't sure what he was referring to.

I'll be buying my essential oils soon. I found a few recipes to experiment with. Try some on clients and ask for their feedback.
andrea C
Fresh Hands

Postby andrea C on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks EgoMagickian for the information. I will look into their courses offered.
andrea C
Fresh Hands

Postby squash_blsm on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:28 am

andrea C wrote:Thank you squash_blsm...

Would you share your recipe for the sinus relief?
A client of mine had already mentioned that his prior therapist gave him something to inhale for sinus congestion after his massage. Not knowing enough about aromatherapy, I wasn't sure what he was referring to.

I'll be buying my essential oils soon. I found a few recipes to experiment with. Try some on clients and ask for their feedback.

Nope, I won't share my recipe. :grin:
I want you to make your own!
Really.
You will get a feel for what YOU like and what your clients like very quickly.
Just start out with a simple 3 oil blend and tweak it over time.
Plus it's always cool to tell people when it is your own secret/special blend.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
squash_blsm

Postby softy515 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 pm

I LOVE working with oils but rarely have anyone request it either. Many of my old clients (old as in they have been seeing me for years) are use to me using some but still don't ask. One or two ask for something for the sinuses, that's all.

The oils have gotten to expensive so I don't use them like I use to.
softy515
Registered Member

Postby andrea C on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:30 pm

I understand...squash_blsm. I'll be working on it real soon :grin:
andrea C
Fresh Hands

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:32 pm

ABout 1/3 of our massages naitionwide are aromatherapy. The clients ask for it, we don't have to upsell
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby squash_blsm on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:ABout 1/3 of our massages naitionwide are aromatherapy. The clients ask for it, we don't have to upsell

That's interesting!
I wonder why that is.
Do you think it is because of the specific choices that are offered (i.e. is this the only relaxation type of massage?)
Or do you think that it is because of the way the treatment is marketed?
squash_blsm

Postby pear2apple on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 pm

I have not heard the most positive things about Young Life oils. But I have no other suggestions because I took a class and they sell their own oils as well, so I think its kinda biased.

But the IIHS: http://www.integrative-healthcare.org/programs.htm

Has lots of classes and they are online as well, they have 2 aromatherapy classes.

Then there's http://www.bachflowereducation.com/L1_D ... e_Web.html

I'm considering adding aromatherapy blends to my massages eventually too. I'm not so great at mixing though! lol
Licensed Massage Therapist at Fringe by Carrie Salon Studio
www.facebook.com/fringebycarrie
www.fringebycarrie.com Toledo, OH 43614
http://www.etsy.com/people/PearsPalette
pear2apple
Registered Member

Postby Karma_skin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:58 pm

I am so surprsed to hear people saying they don't get many requests for aromatherapy. Are you maybe not offering it?

In my work, in the past several years I can count on one hand the amount of people who didn't want it!

I get really tired of lavender (most commonly requested) So I stopped offering it aside form maybe once a week. I suggest eucalyptus and grapefruit a lot because I can tolerate them better. They are great combined!!
Karma_skin
Fresh Hands

Postby BJB-LMP on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm

I use aromatherapy with almost every massage, but I use it in a treatment context so I just whip out the individual bottles of lotion that are already loaded with essentials; there is no add'l fee. My favorites are:

Palmarosa, for slow nerve regrowth
Sweet orange or lavender, for relaxation
A combo of plai, arnica, and St. John's wort, for spasm and v. bad pain
Doug fir, for really sore muscles (like a recent MVA)
Frankincense for anxiety during the session/PTSD

Don't buy Young Living. It's a pyramid scheme, and they just straight make things up. Not a good business or ethical model.
-Beccy
BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Postby bethanybob on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:51 pm

I've only had one client request it, so far. I finally bought a diffuser, so I will start offering it to my clients and let you know how it goes.
bethanybob
Fresh Hands

Return to Aromatherapy