Thoughts about Young Living Oils

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

More on Gary Young and Young Living EOs

Postby Grasor on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:06 pm

There is much to be wary of with Gary Young.

Apparently I cannot post the URLs here yet so I will wait.
If you want to have the information email me and I will send what I couldn't post here because of moderation rules.

First off .. he is not a doctor. He purchased his ND degree from a diploma mill called Bernadean University: A Mail-Order Diploma Mill, (Search google for bernadean
Gary Young, ND, markets aromatherapy products through Young Living, a multilevel company in Payson, Utah. During the mid-1980s, he operated clinics in Rosarita Beach, Mexico, and Chula Vista, California. In 1988, a California judge issued a restraining order barring Young from advertising and selling misleading and deceptive health cures. The district attorney's office obtained the order after Young told a female health department investigator that she had an enlarged prostate and that carcinogenic cells existed in a "potentially agressive manner." The diagnosis was based on a "blood crystallization test" of a sample of her blood submitted with the medical history of a fictitious male .

Then his oils are mediocre at best, and the blather about "highest frequencies" is just that bunkum... Totally unscientific.

Some links

I know quackwatch has its detractors but I think they do have good info on Gary Young

Vital reading from a real Doctor about the confidence trickster Gary Young:

There is a lot more than I post here that cannot be independently verified so will remain in the realm of hearsay but is still scary.
Grasor
Fresh Hands

MLM and YL

Postby rina on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Hello everyone; first time to post. I use YL oils mostly for emotional and spiritual support and love them. I happened upon this discussion and wanted to add that if you like Young Living Oils, you can become a distributor which allows you to get your products wholesale for only a $40 initial order. From then on you can orcder whatever you like at wholesale. Don't like the MLM part of it? Just don't do it. You still get your (big) discount by simply being a "distributor" and ordering for yourself. :)
great discussion, thanks. -Rina
rina
Fresh Hands

Postby oils4abundance on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:07 pm

Young Living has a rebuttal to the Quack Watch thing if anyone is interested. Also that Quack Watch guy is dealing with a bunch of serious lawsuits for slander. I don't think Gary Young has ever told anyone he was an M.D. Most naturopaths are better doctors than most of the M.D.s I know anyway. Of course the FDA is always going to attack those who do not adhere to the backwards western medical model, and it will always be that way where dollars are concerned.

That said, I LOVE the products and so do my clients. Getting into the company was the best decision I've made for my practice in a very long time; after 10 years of doing massage I look forward to and embrace every opportunity to give a massage, use the oils, and share information about the other products with my clients. I have never liked the MLM idea and for the first time in my life I can see why it works for this type of company. I am happy to go into more detail about what I mean with anyone who might be interested in using the products in their practice. I am not a pushy sales person, just very enthusiastic about the way these oils have changed my life. :D
I am an enthusiastic lover of Young Living Oils and their other products! They have revolutionized my practice and I am making it my goal to educate and train others who wish to join my team!
oils4abundance
Fresh Hands

My YL/RDT Experience - Long

Postby Urban Tranquility on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:06 pm

:smt076

A couple of days ago, a friend invited me to a free private session to learn the raindrop technique. I went because I'm always up for learning something new. I had never heard of YL/RDT before this experience. The teacher had absolutely no credentials, other than her YL training. I should have walked out right then, but my politeness got the better of me, and I stayed. I told her before we got started that I was a breastfeeding mom, and she said that it was fine and that, if anything, the oils would be good for me and my son! (Yeah right...)

So she started applying the oils to the model client, and I couldn't believe that she was using such strong oils like oregano, birch & wintergreen neat on the skin! She showed me how to do the strokes, and then had me perform them with the oils on the client. My hands were mildly burning and the client's skin was red and blotchy. The teacher said that the redness was the oils "working". I didn't experience any negative effects after the session besides mild irritation & burning on my hands, so I didn't worry about it too much. I went home and nursed my son that night as usual. Since then, he has been vomiting a few times a day for the last couple of days. I've had to stop nursing him for now, because I believe the mixture of the toxic oils in my system is what's making him sick! I've researched all the oils that we used in the session, and they are ALL contraindicated for breastfeeding! I am FURIOUS! I feel like I was taken advantage of and I unknowingly put myself and my child in harm's way! Not only am I worried about myself and my son, I am also deeply concerned about my friend and her husband, who give each other this treatment on a regular basis. I tried to contact her today, but she didn't answer.

Don't even get me started on Gary Young and his MLM business practices.

I will NEVER believe anything remotely related to YL.
Urban Tranquility
Fresh Hands

Postby softy515 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:38 am

Don't let the ignorance of one form your opinion though.

This women, if she read her materials and even ONE book would know not to let you use the oils.

I am sorry this happen. What are you doing for the baby? Are you just going to let it ride out or have you spoken to a doctor?
softy515
Registered Member

re: YL

Postby qchess on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 pm

Yes, too much drama and declining quality in YL these days, that's why we switched to doTerra.
qchess
Fresh Hands

Postby MaybeMobile? on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:59 am

because I believe the mixture of the toxic oils in my system is what's making him sick!

Well, the oils arent toxic.

The teacher had absolutely no credentials,

While I do agree, that this woman shouldn't be teaching this stuff if she is not educated enough to know risks, and YL needs a higher level of standard for their instructors, however, as a breastfeeding mother it is your responsibility to know what you need to know before adding anything new to your system - that goes for anything in general not just EOs.

You knew right off the bat that she wasn't well qualified, why did you trust her with that response when you didn't trust her to teach the class?
You felt the burning and irritation, you knew something wasn't right. I would have ended the class right there and said sorry, I'm nursing. I'm sorry your little boy is sick, I hope you received the proper care or he worked through it.

I do not do RDT, and I don't know how much stock I put into it. I have taken the YL classes and have enjoyed them. I have seen and felt the benefits of YL over other brands I have tried - but I haven't tried EVERY EO brand so I can't say YL is the best - just the best I have used.
MaybeMobile?
Registered Member

YL oils and methods

Postby Naturesgift on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:16 am

The reason most people in the industry are very concerned about YL is described above...demonstrably unwise/unsafe use of powerful healing substances.

Personally I find the lack of information about each oil disturbing. For example, there are differences, aromatically and in chemical composition between Lavender oils grown in different geographical areas. YL indicates that their lavender is grown in four different areas. Which are they selling? or are they blending them to give a more uniform product? (If blending, then the oil no longer meets most people's definition for aromatherapy usage.)
Aromatherapy supplies and information
Naturesgift
Fresh Hands

Previous

Return to Aromatherapy