Thoughts about Young Living Oils

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Thoughts about Young Living Oils

Postby harmony4171 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:56 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on Young Living Oils.  I'm still in school and my instructor loves them.  I was doing some research on them and there was an article about the founder of Young Living, Gary Young, that was not very flattering to say the least. :o

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/young.html

What are your thoughts about the oils and Young's Raindrop Therapy techniqe?  
Melanie

"Life is a great bundle of little things." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
harmony4171
Fresh Hands

Re: Thoughts about Young Living Oils

Postby massageinTexas on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:21 pm

I've heard good things about Young Living essential oils. I have one client that brings her own Jojoba oil that has some Young Living essential oil mixed in and I loved it.<br>Don't know much about the rain drop therapy. I remember there was something in Austin about them when I took my test but that was over a year ago and I've slept since then. ;D (I do good to remember yesterday - Hey I'm in my 40's be nice!)<br><br>I have also had Aura Cacia essential oils recommended by one of my teachers and I have used some of them and I do like them. ;D<br><br>So good luck to you I think some of the others could refer you to some excellent websites. Ask Texas-gal, Intuitouch, Gutehands, Maestra, and Masthera, and Staggnant and Talelyn. There may be some more people that are more knowledgeable out there too.<br><br>Hope school is going well for you.<br><br>Trish
Trish Daniel, RMT
www.kneadingmassage.net
massageinTexas
Registered Member

Postby gracefulbeing on Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:44 am

Please visit

http://www.aromamedical.com/index.html

I think Martin Watt has the best info about EO's out there.  He does not like Gary Young.  I have a degree in Biology and was always bothered by the info that Young Living is putting out there.  It just doesn't jive with science.  I can accept alternative ideas, but when it goes against things that are known and accepted, I can't buy it.  There are other producers of EO's that make fine oils and are less expensive.  Also, they are not involved in a MLM so you don't have all that to contend with.

Quackwatch seems to be out to get anyone that is at all alternative.  They have articles on Weil, Null, and many others.  So it is extreme.

Do the research and be your own judge.  :)
gracefulbeing
Fresh Hands

Postby makingachange on Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:56 am

i use young living oils. i must say that i don't like the mlm angle either. but i really do like the oils.

i think that as with anything, you can take some and leave some.

the lavender is the yummiest lavender i've ever had, and i can tell you that when i use the oils for 'relaxation' purposes, my clients tell a difference.

i have a client working on emotional issues. i've sent some oils home with him and he is seeing a difference.

here's the rebuttal to the quackwatch link.. who knows whether it's true or not. all i can go on is what my experience is.

Link

good luck

amanda

Link edited by PG
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby jewelalchemy on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:25 am

Unfortunately, Harmony, your teacher loves them because he/she makes money from them and is hoping that you'll buy them from him/her.<br>With really great essential oils being so widely available, there's really no good reason to get mixed up in a pyramid scheme. You can get awesome organic EO's from www.mountainroseherbs.com they also sell wonderful carrier oils, organic cocoa butter, tons of ingredients for massage.<br>No, I don't work for them but I've sent them enough business that I've earned a fat commission!<br>Jill
"As inner transformation occurs, it is necessary to continuously reidentify with that which is being birthed instead of that which is falling away" Katrina Raphaell
"Practice is hard because it is easy, unimaginably so, like the flower blooming."
jewelalchemy
Registered Member

Postby harmony4171 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:38 pm

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!<br><br>Jewelalchemy,  I would've thought the same thing if I didn't know her but she is a very genuine person and has not pushed us to sign up under her and has actually purchased things at cost for another student, so she is not making a profit off of us in any way.<br><br>
Melanie

"Life is a great bundle of little things." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
harmony4171
Fresh Hands

Postby maestra on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:42 pm

Trish is right, I DO use Young Living Essential Oils, I have a few single oils from other companies, but I use mostly Young Living Essential Oils just because I have good experiences with them. (Usually ones like Lime that Young Living doesn't carry.)<br>I don't really do the "Raindrop therapy" per se... but do enjoy using their oils to create my own blends to use for massage. And I also enjoy using some of their blends.  My clients report they feel better when I use them too.  I've used other company's aromatherapy blends... but I've never had such dramatic results with them. <br>Do I mind that they are a MLM? Not really, because I like the product. I've also received quite a bit of information about essential oils from them. <br>Any commission I've earned I've used to buy more oils to add to my collection.<br>Am I saying that other companies do not have exceptional products? No, not at all. Chances are that there are other good products out there somewhere.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby lovely_day on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:21 pm

I love Young Living oils and I use them as well as Aura Cacia oils, but I also love  Essence of Vali SLEEP massage oil, which, happily, they  carry in Massage Warehouse catalog. I mix a couple drops with my massage cream and the scent reminds me of falling asleep on a cloud. It just grounds and relaxes me. It was the only massage oil that always sold out in our center and I love the fact that they use jojoba oil and scents.....that's it. It's a bit much, aroma wise, for me to use as a straight massage oil, but many of my clients ask for it with their session. {I do not get compensated for this testimonial }  ;D  Also, I have several people who routinely receive Raindrop sessions with me but I modify the session by placing jojoba oil on the back before dropping the oils. I have never had anyone react to an oil  this way and I check often with them to make sure they have no itching, burning sensation,etc. Everyone's experience is different. Try lots of oils!!!!!!!!!
lovely_day
Registered Member

Postby jewelalchemy on Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:37 pm

I just found this page, it's from a professional aromatherapist's perspective. http://theguidetoaromatherapy.com/ylfiles.html<br>I know that my feelings about this company are colored by the fact that I started studying aromatherapy so many years ago (1993) way before I became a therapist. And also because really good quality EO's are so widely available now, it would be more trouble for me to buy them thru their MLM than to just go to the store or shop online.<br>More food for thought.<br>:)<br>Jill
"As inner transformation occurs, it is necessary to continuously reidentify with that which is being birthed instead of that which is falling away" Katrina Raphaell
"Practice is hard because it is easy, unimaginably so, like the flower blooming."
jewelalchemy
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:08 am

Here's a plug for my favorite source of oils: http://www.av-at.com/<br><br>The owner's a bit nuts ;-) but the quality is undisputed, customer service is top-notch, and the oils are packaged in high quality Miron bottles.<br><br>Also, he's the only American supplier of Martin Watt's Plant Aromatics. If you're going to be rubbing oils on people, you have to have this book. It contains real safety data backed up with citations, not just some author's authority--I find the info both on the web and in most other "aromatherapy" books often contradict each other, with no reference to back up their assertions.<br><br>Oh, these folks are a a bit more expensive, but have a wider selection of oils: http://www.naturesgift.com/<br><br>I haven't bought from them yet, but plan to. I've chatted with the owner before, very nice.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby StrucMedgirl on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:17 pm

I'm sorry I'm answering you so long after you posted your message, but I just joined the forum yesterday. I think Gary Youn's oils are fabulous. I think Gary Young is interested in people getting the best products they can get, and I think his products are great. I also believe plants have tremendous healing properties - certainly properties drugs can't ever hope to have.

I wouldn't believe ANYTHING I would read on quackwatch because I believe it is driven by the FDA and/or the AMA. I believe both organizations are concerned with the interests of the drug companies and the money involved in all of us being sick. Their interests can't flourish if alternative methods are found to be of any value. Continuing to degrade alternative methods is a course of action they, more often than not, take.
StrucMedgirl
Fresh Hands

Postby jdcan on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:00 am

Just last week, I tried to order $75 worth of oils from YL online. The page said my account had been deactivated. I called the company. I was told that I hadn't earned enough Qualifying Points (spent enough money). In order to reactivate my account so I could purchase product, I would have to buy another "Success Kit so I could start my downline." The kit is $50 and I'm not interested in selling to other people. I'll being buying from a different company.
My clients really like the smell of YL's lavender. Anyone know one that smells close to that?
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby babybear on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:53 pm

I have been really happy with Wyndmere oils. I prefer this lavender to the french and it is very effective.

http://www.wyndmerenaturals.com/store/product.php?productid=54&cat=49&page=1
babybear
Registered Member

young living

Postby sassafrass on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:01 pm

For those who don't want to participate in the multi-level thing... Take a look at young living on ebay. I've gotten most of my oils at the preferred price- some by winning auctions and some by very reasonable "buy it now" options. I know this post is a little old, but I'm new to BO.
sassafrass
Registered Member

Postby makingachange on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:52 am

livingwell wrote:i use young living oils. i must say that i don't like the mlm angle either. but i really do like the oils.

i think that as with anything, you can take some and leave some.

the lavender is the yummiest lavender i've ever had, and i can tell you that when i use the oils for 'relaxation' purposes, my clients tell a difference.

i have a client working on emotional issues. i've sent some oils home with him and he is seeing a difference.

here's the rebuttal to the quackwatch link.. who knows whether it's true or not. all i can go on is what my experience is.

Link

good luck

amanda

since this topic has been brought back up, i was skimming through the replies and lo and behold stumbled upon mine! here we are two years later and i think i still have some YL oils, but the collection also includes produced on earth and mountain rose herbs to name examples. i'm not partial to YL at all, i use what i have left and probably will not replace them through YL. in the past 2 years as a business owner, i'd much prefer to support the small business rather than the large one. and yes, i realize that YL provides their clients with tons of literature and information and about their resources and scientists and such, and that being a large company helps them do that.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:29 am

Frankly, I want to know what Young Living is adding to their lavender oil that makes it so different from other brands.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby softhearted515 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:07 pm

I don't think they 'add' anything. The quality of an oil is based on the plant and how it is distilled.

Many lavender oils give me a headache, YL does't. At this point, I get oils from 2 companies, YL being one of them. When I become completely happy with one other company, my days with YL will be over.

While they may speak of some really out there results and are a bit careless with their suggested use of oils, they oils are good.
softhearted515
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:03 pm

Many lavender oils give me a headache, YL does't.

So after googling for adulterated lavender, it would seem that many lavender oils on the market are not pure, which would explain your experience and suggest that YL's lavender is of higher quality.

Hmm I wonder how it compares to the stuff I get (from http://www.av-at.com ). I've never experienced any of the YL oils first-hand.

What's the other supplier you use?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby softhearted515 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:58 pm

http://www.omnessence.com/index.html

I met this lady and took some intro. course with her. She gets organics, wild crafted, some really unique stuff. Its amazing the difference in scent from something farm grown to a plant grown wild.

YL doesn't really do organic. If they do, they don't print it on the bottles.

Yes, lavender is one oil that is sold adultered. But I would guess that more and more oils are in the same boat. Ppl assume because it says 'natural' that it is ok. That can be harmful. Ex. lavender can be used on burns BUT if its an adultered lavender, it would make the burn worse.

Let me know if you order from Omn and what you think!
softhearted515
Registered Member

Postby Spock on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:29 am

Hi all,

I do the raindrop therapy and have for years after I had the experience myself.

However, as much as I love the oils, I really dislike YLO business practices, and the hard sell tactics I sometimes get from other practitioners.

I have no problem with someone trying to up their income, but when I see someone for any kind of treatment, I really resent being told I need a product I know they are MLM and pushed to be sold something. I actually won't return if that happens. I have found this to be more prevalent with certain MLM people and YLO is one of them.

p.s. I can't stand that Quackwatch site.
My shoulder work is excellent.
Spock
Registered Member

New Therapeutic-Grade Essential Oil Option Available

Postby Monica on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi,

I have used Young Living Essential Oils for quite a few years, both personally and in my practice. Thus far, I've found them to be of superior quality to other oils I've investigated. Yes, the company is a direct-selling company, and while I understand that there are those who don't wish to participate in direct sales, there are many who do. I believe that is a personal choice, and I personally choose to not 'push' the oils - or the business - on anyone. I simply make it known that I have the oils available to experience, and if someone wants to buy them, I make ALL of the options available to them (customer/preferred customer/distributor)... and the client chooses.... no hype, no pushing... just opportunity for those who wish to make use of what is available to them.

Speaking of opportunity, there is another option on the horizon, which I feel is very important to tell you all about, because it offers another choice in Certified Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils. Again... I'm simply passing on the information... For those who may find the following interesting enough to seek additional information, please contact me directly. For those who don't, please don't flame the messenger...:

Announcing the Arrival of Certified Therapuetic Grade DôTerra Essential Oils

Essential Oils have been used for thousands of years for their healing properties. With the advent of modern medicine, essential oils have been overshadowed by traditional medicine. DôTerra's mission is to bring alternative and traditional medicine together.

DôTerra will empower independent consultants to share the message of the healing properties of essential oils with their family and friends. The independent consultants will benefit from sharing this message with those they love and help them increase their level of health. In doing this the consultants will be financially rewarded.

DôTerra is currently in "pre-launch" and there will not be a better time then now to find out more about the DôTerra opportunity. The founders of DôTerra include Dr. David Hill, D.C., who is well known throughout the industry as an expert on wellness and essential oils.

If you would like more information about DôTerra Earth Essence's Opportunity, Products, or Meetings, a copy of the Independent Product Consultant Agreement, or would like to be added to our email list, please send an email request to DoTerra@HealthyConnections.net call (907)322-3105, or visit our website at http://DoTerra.ws.

An Invitation to Join Us
At DôTerra we are attracting strong Independent Product Consultants with the prospect of using Certified Therapeutic Grade™ (CTG™) for their healing benefits personally and professionally, and reselling them to their friends, clients, and patients.

Consultants will earn retail profit, free products, bonuses and commissions as they:

Demonstrate and sell our essential oils to customers;
Sponsor purchasing customers and other interested people to become consultants in their organizations;
Train new consultants to sell and build successful careers;
Qualify as leaders and develop other leaders in their organization.
Product Consultants are offered the opportunity to buy products at wholesale prices with very little cash investment and very little financial risk while building their own business.

To become an Independent Product Consultant, please download and complete the attached IPC Agreement (found at http://DoT erra.ws) and fax it to (801)615-7205. If you have any questions, please contact us via email at DoTerra@HealthyConnections.net or call (907)322-3105.

Be Well,

Monica Molinar, LMT, LSH, RMT, CRP, CST
Healthy Connections Wellness Center
530 7th Avenue, Suite 3
Fairbanks, AK 99701
Monica Molinar, LMT, RMT, CRP, CST-I
Owner, Healthy Connections Wellness Center
Faculty Member, Heart Institute
Monica
Fresh Hands

Postby squash_blsm on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:57 am

Monica's reply is exactly why I don't like dealing with mlm'rs
They are always trying to sign you up for nonsense like this.
squash_blsm

Essential Oils

Postby Malynda on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:25 am

Hi there,

I am new to the forum, but not new to Holistic Healing. I am a 3rd Generation Healer, My Grandparents were Missionaries to Mexico, where my Grandfather provided the services of Chiropractor, Reflexologist, Nutritionist and Holistic Dentistry, and according to my mother who assisted him during her child hood, he also provided surgical services. She assisted him with doing amputations and even a C-Section!!! I grew up with amazing stories! And then had my own experiences with him when I lived with them for a time in my own child hood. My Grandmother taught me needlepoint and how to bake cookies as well as doing Yoga with me on her living room floor. On that same floor I witnessed a baby being born...in the old way with a birthing stool. I had no idea what I had at my disposal, but do now. I am so grateful for all of their influences. My Dad taught me about vitamins and how to live a healthier life. Unfortunately I only had a short time with him but he definitely left an impression and also helped to lay the foundation for the woman I have become. My whole life is pretty much about Holistic Healing and the Life of a Healer. If it is out there, I will know about it if I don't already. I have created a roll for myself what I call a Wellness Coach. I teach about the modalities I know now as well as providing them in my own practice.

At this time, I would like to introduce a line of oils called doTerra...pronounced doe as in deer...Terra. These oils are at the top of the spectrum in quality and the company is founded by some of the Worlds' Leading Authority within the Industry. Set up similarly to other companies, I prefer them for many, many reasons. As a Massage Therapist and Certified Aromatherapist, I make my own products and I individualize them for each client. Not only does this support my agenda of promoting their well being, it makes my clients feel special. I make holiday gifts (very economical!) for all of my clients. I would be spending a small fortune if I spent actual cash on this...and again, my people appreciate the personal touch to it. I also use the oils to protect myself, there is a long history of using Essential Oils as medicine. I will not make those claims, but I will say that based on historical data I have used the oils to protect myself when working with people who have warts, hepatitis and other diagnosis. If I am feeling under the weather I reach for an oil to help pick me back up....if I have tummy trouble, depending on the nature, I reach for an oil. If you are local to the Nashville Tn area and want to learn more about using oils in your practice I am available. If you have questions here, I am available. As you can probably tell Holistic Health is my passion.
Be Well,
Malynda Amore'
Malynda
Fresh Hands

Postby Spock on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:25 am

jdcan wrote:Just last week, I tried to order $75 worth of oils from YL online. The page said my account had been deactivated. I called the company. I was told that I hadn't earned enough Qualifying Points (spent enough money). In order to reactivate my account so I could purchase product, I would have to buy another "Success Kit so I could start my downline." The kit is $50 and I'm not interested in selling to other people. I'll being buying from a different company.
My clients really like the smell of YL's lavender. Anyone know one that smells close to that?

This same thing happened to me, and the person on the other end not so nice!
My shoulder work is excellent.
Spock
Registered Member

Young Living

Postby sooz on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi guys and gals!

My first post at BO...and my two cents about YL essential oils.

Let me say that I am a distributor. But I have no axe to grind, and nothing to sell. My dealings with this company have all been on the up and up. I am sorry to read of these folks' less-than-optimumexperiences.
I use their products, share them, and am happy when someone tells me of their sore shoulder made better, or heel spur gone, or sunburn quickly healed....that always makes my day.

It is only when someone expresses real interest that I talk shop - otherwise one comes across as pushy. That is not the way to help people. I too am uncomfortable with the MLM concept....but I have come to peace with it since it really comes down to relationship marketing and education. BUT only if it is welcomed!

The chemistry of essential oils is vast and deep - there is much I have yet to learn, but what I know of it leads me to believe that YL's emphasis on research is not commonly found elsewhere. I have compared their stuff to other brands, and simply prefer YL's quality.

A gentleman was mentioned in earlier posts - Martin Watt. Don't know much of him, but he is British, and in general the British model of aromatherapy is quite different from the French model, so he will have certain views that others may not share. For instance, the British model does not believe in using EO's neat on the skin. So if some research is done, one can usually find what works for them.

And yes, I am a massage therapist - a newbie, one year in August.

Peace, peeps!

Sooz
sooz
Fresh Hands

Next

Return to Aromatherapy