Essential oils after surgery

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Essential oils after surgery

Postby mac on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 pm

I use essential oils in my massage practice both in the air and in massage blends. I am fairly familiar with which oils are primarily for mental relaxation, which are primarily for muscle relaxation, which are for pain relief, which are good for first aid for bruises and strains. But, I have never seen any information on which ones are helpful for post-surgical stiffness, swelling, and pain 4 to 6 weeks After surgery. I recently had rotator cuff surgery, and, while the physical therapy is going well, the tissues are still pretty well locked up from the elbow to the occiput. From the trauma, I assume. No heat or other signs of infection. I've been using a blend of helichrysum, spike lavender, and tea tree in jojoba from day one to head off any infection and minimise scarring, but I wonder, does anyone have any suggestions for other oils to help loosen up the surrounding tissues? My doctor says I can't go back to work for a total of 6 months, but it would be nice to shorten that recovery time if possible without hurting anything.
mac
Fresh Hands

Re: Essential oils after surgery

Postby highlandbodyworks on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:47 pm

mac wrote:I use essential oils in my massage practice both in the air and in massage blends. I am fairly familiar with which oils are primarily for mental relaxation, which are primarily for muscle relaxation, which are for pain relief, which are good for first aid for bruises and strains. But, I have never seen any information on which ones are helpful for post-surgical stiffness, swelling, and pain 4 to 6 weeks After surgery. I recently had rotator cuff surgery, and, while the physical therapy is going well, the tissues are still pretty well locked up from the elbow to the occiput. From the trauma, I assume. No heat or other signs of infection. I've been using a blend of helichrysum, spike lavender, and tea tree in jojoba from day one to head off any infection and minimise scarring, but I wonder, does anyone have any suggestions for other oils to help loosen up the surrounding tissues? My doctor says I can't go back to work for a total of 6 months, but it would be nice to shorten that recovery time if possible without hurting anything.

The Helichrysum will help with the tissue repair, but you might consider adding Wintergreen & Peppermint for the pain (and maybe Clove to promote healthy blood flow), and maybe Balsam Fir, Peppermint, Basil and Marjoram in a mix for the surrounding tissue to calm them down. Are you having any spasms in the surrounding area? What rotator cuff mms were operated on?

Jackie
highlandbodyworks
Registered Member

Re: Essential oils after surgery

Postby MamaLo on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:36 am

I'd stay away from essential oils after surgery. I feel absolutely toxic after surgery and adding anything else is, to me is like giving someone with a hangover a chilidog. There is so much stuff already in the system and you do need to worry about interactions so since you're unlikely to know what all was pumped into the surgical patient, you're unlikely to be able to make an educated guess as to what wouldn't make matters worse. I'm also more prone to react to things I've never reacted to before so there are many reasons to keep it simple.

Use massage to help them detox rather than adding more to the mix. To be clear, it takes me about 3 months to start to feel like that chemical junk is out of my system enough to go back to normal. Those drugs don't wash out in a few days.

Best.
MamaLo
Fresh Hands

Return to Aromatherapy