doTerra

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

doTerra

Postby Kneadfulthings on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Has anyone used this line? It is another MLM, but the oils smelled amazing! I am thinking about joining just to get the oils, but I am not fond of the structure and commitment of MLM's.
Barter for bodywork, lotion, travel ... even CEU's!

http://www.bodyworkshops.com
Destination: Success! Create your perfect practice!
Kneadfulthings
Registered Member

Re: doTerra

Postby highlandbodyworks on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi,

I don't have any direct personal experience with doTerra, besides knowing people who have and having been trained in Raindrop Technique by Dr. Hill a long while ago.

The word coming down the line, so I hear from others (doTerra is just getting started here in the NorthEast) is that their MLM program is very pushy, esp when compared to YL. Oils also smell a little "off" in comparison (these are from friends who have attended doTerra's meetings).

I had also heard down the pike that doTerra purchased Helichrysum that was rejected by YL for traces of pesticides (found in a broad spectrum GC analysis).

This is all heresay, so you'll have to find out and make the decision for yourself - however, I know I won't be making the switch to doTerra just because of the bad business blood that has gotten back to my ears. I didn't like Dr. Hill when I met him, and some of the stories coming back to me don't surprise me based on my experience.

Good luck with your research,

Jackie
highlandbodyworks
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks, this thread is helpful to me! I have recently been contacted by the doTerra people (though she hasn't followed up, I was supposed to receive an email), they wanted to maybe come here to do a "training" and are offering CEUs (?unclear, but she mentioned CEUs) with it. I have a huge bias against MLMs and will choose to no work with them based solely on that fact. I may try their oils but NO WAY will I host what essentially amounts to a sales pitch disguised as a training.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby Taoist on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 pm

A spa I worked for brought some doTerra oils in to try. I found that a small percentage of clients had a minor reaction to them when they were added to their baths or massage treatments. It could have just been a general allergy to those specific oils rather than something to do with the whole line, but one client did mention that she got lavender added to her treatments regularly and has never had a problem until doTerra's lavender was used (she had very minor red, itchy spots. I paused the session to have her rinse off in the shower since I didn't have any other clients and she was fine after that.)
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:36 am

Taoist wrote:A spa I worked for brought some doTerra oils in to try. I found that a small percentage of clients had a minor reaction to them when they were added to their baths or massage treatments. It could have just been a general allergy to those specific oils rather than something to do with the whole line, but one client did mention that she got lavender added to her treatments regularly and has never had a problem until doTerra's lavender was used (she had very minor red, itchy spots. I paused the session to have her rinse off in the shower since I didn't have any other clients and she was fine after that.)

You should definitely pass that on in the form of a safety reportto NAHA! How icky!
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby JLWmassage on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:59 pm

I have tried some of there oils and there brand is one of the few that I could use all day and wouldn't bother my skin. I am going to sign up because I do like there EO based products they have in there line for retail in my place. I have been also wanting to find a value added service that didn't cost a lot of money and add to my laundry.

Yes I do think thy are pushy about getting people to sign up but I made it very clear that isn't what I want to do. I want to be able to sell products through my website and in my office and that's it.
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:18 am

I have started on my retail adventure. Is a MLM perfect, no. But I really wanted for my clients to be able to buy product through my website and I don't want to have all that inventory, deal with shipping, and have a shopping cart built.

When you go down this road you just need to be very as to what your goals are, and don't let people try to change your mind :smt002

So here is the link to my page where people can go to buy. I am also doing some keyword research for the different oil I would like to write a page about. For now I am staying away from oil that have a high competition for google ranking.
http://www.deepreliefmassagetherapy.com/doTERRA.html

And SBI! (Site Build It) has a whole section on how to promote an MLM. I have been doing a lot of reading in that section! They also have 2 case on 2 different approaches. I will be doing some of my own testing and seeing what works for me 8)

http://www.deepreliefmassagetherapy.com ... range.html Here is the link for my first Tier 3 page (SBI talk for a blog post)
I have my pictures linking to my doTERRA store and the links in the text link back to my doTERRA page. And in the SBI case studies what they have found that has worked for MLM is to encourage visitors to write a guest post about a certain topic and ask them to comment.

I will write a follow up post in a few months to give you an up date on my progress and telling you know how clients are liking the products.
JLWmassage

Postby squash_blsm on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 am

The MLM model doesn't fit in with how I want to present myself.
Most of them are about the "down-line" business rather than the actual quality and efficacy of the product. For me that is not staying in integrity.
Plus I am really getting tired of MLM'ers trying to recruit on all of the professional forums that I participate on (I am sure that you won't be doing that).

If this kind of business works for you, then good luck! :D
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 am

squash_blsm wrote:The MLM model doesn't fit in with how I want to present myself.
Most of them are about the "down-line" business rather than the actual quality and efficacy of the product. For me that is not staying in integrity.
Plus I am really getting tired of MLM'ers trying to recruit on all of the professional forums that I participate on (I am sure that you won't be doing that).

If this kind of business works for you, then good luck! :D

I do agree that they really push the down line. Which is something I really don't care about, I don't need more people to babysit :smt005 I don't even want to have contact with the person's that sponsored me I just don't have the time to be spending hour on the phone telling me how to market
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:25 am

I wanted to post an update here. I have been with doTERRA now for a couple months now. But I waited till the new New Year before I set up the retail in my office. And my clients are really enjoying the products. I was a little nervous about bringing an MLM into my office, but I have learned that clients don't care about that. I am also not trying to get them to join my downline team and I think that makes a big difference
JLWmassage

Postby peacenut on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Here's another option for you, Ananda Apothecary. http://www.anandaapothecary.com/essential-oils.html

I have been using there oils for over 2 years now. What I like about them, is that they have sample vials available so you can sample their oils before you commit to larger more expensive bottles. They offer a discount if you are a professional as well. I too want to start carrying retail essential oils and will be investing in Ananada essential oils. I can set the price however I want. Although their prices are not true wholesale, they are a lot less than YL or DoTerra, so there is some room for markup. They are not an MLM.

Their packaging is also attractive. Packaging was just as important to me as the quality of the oils. No one wants to buy ugly EO bottles.
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.
peacenut
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:59 am

Wanted to post an update. I have been selling since January 2013 and I sell about $200 - $300 worth of product a month. It's been nice having products to donate verses donating a massage gift certificate, my clients are really loving the oils added to their massage at no extra charge.

I did buy their AromaTouch kit and I offer that as a separate service, I have made my own adjustments to my liking.

My clients don't seem to be put off by the prices or that is a MLM at all, but I would never ask my clients to join either !

I do have a few holistic professionals that have singed up under me, but they found me. I am not going to be hunting people down to me that's not effective marketing !

I am also doing a monthly product give away, which has been going really well. Each month, I have more and more people entering :grin:

So over all my experience with the company has been good. At one time I was having another rep spam my fan pages and I reported it to corporate and they look care of the issue right away.

As far as my website goes "doTERRA" related keywords have been a huge draw to my site now. By writing about their products I have seem about a 30% traffic increase to my site.

And I am not going to lie it's nice to make extra money with having to see more massage clients :smt002
JLWmassage

Postby shivashiva on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:05 am

Thanks for the update! I do think it can be done well without high pressure sales, as you are demonstrating. I have looked more into the company (because EVERYONE is doing it, so I had to find out more) and what finally made me decide that I don't want to sell it are a few things.

#1, when you buy wholesale you only get 25% off. So even if you sell $300 a month you are only making $75 "profit." I currently sell about $8K/year of retail in my spa and adding a product with such a low mark-up did not make sense. With all the time spent ordering, inventory, shelf space it takes up, shipping costs, etc, it almost COSTS me money to carry it. For a business actually interested in making money on retail, it does not make sense.

#2 Their prices are absolutely ridiculous. They claim the prices are high because their quality is high. "Certified Therapeutic Grade." However, this is a designation that no other company or organization in the world recognizes. No well respected Aromatherapy Organization (or any organization for that matter) gives any credence to this label. doTerra will not release the standards by which they accept or reject oils and until they do, I call bs. Every MLM sells product at incredibly expensive prices, claiming they are way better than everyone else, in order to feed the organization so everyone can get a little cut when your downline buys stuff under you. doTerra is no different. It's a wasteful business model designed to make people high up on the pyramid rich.

Despite the above business objections, I like their essential oil blends. I use them in my yoga classes and in my massages after buying some oils from a friend who is a distributor. I may eventually sign up just so I can get the oils at 25% discount, but I'm in no rush as I use them very slowly. I currently sell essential oils from Aromaland in my spa. I can mark them up 50% and make a decent profit and they are reasonably priced so people don't balk at $40 for bottle of Lavender. I can sell USDA certified organic lavender for $16. doTerra is more than double the price and so far I cannot detect a difference in quality. Aromaland also has a few nice blends, I particularly like their blend "Meditation"
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Return to Aromatherapy