AROMATHERAPY MASSAGE

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

AROMATHERAPY MASSAGE

Postby warmD on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:10 am

Hi folks, I was watching a spa program and saw the LMT doing aromatherapy massage. <br>It looked wonderful and very therapeutic. I'd like to learn how to do it. Doesn't look like you need a lot of training for it   :-/ maybe just knowing what types of oils to use on a client. <br><br>Here's what they did, blended essential oils in a base oil, massaged the client's back, shoulders and arms. Then took warm to hot towels or cloths and wrapped them up, let them rest for about 10 minutes, then removed the towels. <br><br>Has anyone ever tried this technique?  I'd like to try it on my clients. <br>Peace, <br>Dee
Peace on earth begins within.
warmD
Fresh Hands

Re: AROMATHERAPY MASSAGE

Postby melb on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:06 pm

What you've described isn't a formal "aromatherapy massage".  In the traditional aromatherapy routine, and in traditional I mean what has been taught in England for ages and is recognised by the IFA, International Federation of Aromatherapists, it is a full massage that includes a facial massage, no hot towels involved.<br><br>Most places that offer "Aromatherapy massage" don't offer what a traditional aromatherapist would.  <br><br>I'm in Australia and the training for a Diploma or Aromatherapy is about another 150hours above what is required for a LMT - that is additional Anatomy and Phisiology and study of the oils - you can usually do the aromatherapy massage as an elective of the Massage course, so I'm not counting learning the massage routine itself in that 150hrs.  The good thing about getting a Diploma of Aromatherapy, is that most of the health funds here require additional training beyond the LMT diploma, and the DipAroma covers it.<br><br>There are so many considerations with the oils, even the basic ones have quite a few contra-indications. You've also got to be careful what you use as YOU absord a lot of oils through your hands.  I actually won't use ANY essential oils on a pregnant client because I know what they can do, but you can buy stuff off the shelf loaded with essential oils as pre-natal blends.  Don't get me started on Raindrop Therapy and dropping neat Thyme and Oregano on the skin.....<br><br>But back to what you described - you can probably figure out how to do the massage without any training.  If you stick to using a premixed aromatherapy oil blend it is probably safe enough, but if you end up doing a lot of them, mix the blends around so you don't get over exposed to any particular oil.  IFA recommended dilutions are 2.5% for a body massage, 1.25% for face for essentail oil in base oil, and the base oil should be a vegetable oil - mineral oil molecules are too big and end up blocking the EO molecules from being absorbed properly.
melb
Registered Member

Postby soufin7 on Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:19 pm

Melb, <br>I am fascinated at the easy acceptance of aromatherapy in other countries.  Hopefully it will happen someday here in the States.<br>I completely agree with you on Raindrop Therapy.  It gets people angered sometimes, because they are quite attached to Young Living.  Glad to hear someone else shares my view.
soufin7
Registered Member

Postby melb on Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:18 pm

I'm not so sure about "easy acceptance of aromatherapy in other countries" in relation to Australia - I'd say 99% of the population think it means it smells nice and nothing more :)<br><br>Aromatherapy is very well established in the UK, but they've always been a bit alternative in treatment systems - the Queen swears by homeopathy! In France it is actually an extension for a medical doctor - they prescibe ingestion of essentail oils, and you can buy over the counter preperations like cough mixtures in a chemist.  I think the fact it is a branch of the medical profession in France has helped it be more readliy accepted in Europe, plus the general idea of applying something to the skin to be absorbed is more accepted these days, probably because of HRT patches and nicotine patches.<br><br>I use essential oils in pretty well all my massages, except pregnant/pre-natal clients.  I'm not sure what makes them so happy afterwards, but I love the oils, I've got a box of over 70 different theraputic grade oils, and use about 30 of them very often.<br>
melb
Registered Member

Postby soufin7 on Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:15 pm

By the way, check out the other aromatherapy topic.  I found an article and posted a link to it about how bad Raindrop therapy can be...many are disregarding it of course.<br>England and France are great examples of what I wish the US would pick up on.  My experience with Australian culture is greatly limited, but an email pal of my husband's lives there, and he said he thought Australia was a bit more enlightened on aromatherapy than we.  Perhaps he was just bragging  ;)<br>Valerie Worwood is coming to a nearby festival and I am thrilled!!!!
soufin7
Registered Member

Postby melb on Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:44 pm

I think Australia culture is a mix of English/American/European/Asian clutures nowadays.  We miss out on some things, get the best of some aspects, and the worst of others. It's a bit of a soup really.  But it does make us as a nation fairly easy going, and accepting of things, at least in principle.

Aussie Aromatherapy training is very much in the English IFA tradition ( http://www.ifaroma.org/ ), but a lot of stuff like hot stone massage is American. I like to think it's the best of all sides, but know we miss out on some stuff.
melb
Registered Member

Postby soufin7 on Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:26 pm

I'd love to visit sometime.  It sounds wonderful.<br>I saw your reply on the other topic.  Poor cat!
soufin7
Registered Member

Postby melb on Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:23 pm

I found that article a few weeks ago and the photo of the chopped off bit of his liver still flashes through my mind when I think of it.  Poor cat indeed :(   but it sounded like he was OK afterwards :)
melb
Registered Member

Postby StressSolutions on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:32 am

I read the articles regarding YL and really enjoyed it.  I've enjoyed soufin and melb posting, you 2 seem to really know your stuff.  (as well as being able to convey your knowledge).  The prices of YL oils turned me off at first, but the knowledge of how that person does business and whatnot convinced me that I want nothing at all to do with YL.  So, Thank You!! mick
StressSolutions

Postby soufin7 on Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:01 am

:D  Gee thanks!  I love aromatherapy, and I I love reading and continuing to learn.  If you have any questions or just want to chat, I am around.
soufin7
Registered Member

Postby melb on Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:15 pm

I've enjoyed soufin and melb posting, you 2 seem to really know your stuff.  (as well as being able to convey your knowledge).

Aw, thank you **blush**

I hope I don't come across as too preachy, but those essential oils are powerful little bottles!
melb
Registered Member

Postby melb on Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:52 pm

Thanks to the posts about YL, I no longer use them.

I really don't know enough about YL to be for or against them, but some of their recommendations I certainly would NOT  recommend for long tern use, maybe the product is fine, just not their recommended application methods. Some articles that can be easily found on the web do cast YL in a dubious light.  Be informed and make up your own mind :) Nothing wrong with an educated decision :)
melb
Registered Member

re: Aromatherapy

Postby qchess on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:22 am

At Massusie, we had offered YL oils exclusively since opening. These oils were used in some exclusive massages and retail sales. I agree with the posts about some challenges regarding application methods, which has caused us to modify our massages, and use of oils, to meet customer preferences. This includes offering choices of which oils the customer wants, which is why we are now widening out and have added DoTerra oils. DoTerra seems to care about keeping the oils safe. However, we do have some customers who are Raindrop Technique fans, and we keep that massage the same just for them. But we are trying to be practical, and offer a wider variety of aromatherapy massages and oils for each level of interest of our customers. Is this a similiar experience with your aromatherapy specific massages?
qchess
Fresh Hands

Return to Aromatherapy