Need help with replicating a recipe

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Need help with replicating a recipe

Postby Zoe on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:37 pm

I have recently run across a blend that I have fallen in love with and would like to attempt to replicate/recreate it on my own. I know the ingredients in the blend but am curious if there are any tips on how to go about figuring out how much of the individual ingredients go into the recipe?

Any help is appreciated.
Zoe
Registered Member

Postby moogie on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Hmmmm good question. What I've done in the past is I close my eyes and breathe in the scent of the blend. Then I listen to it. Which parts speak the loudest to me? I try to seperate them in to notes. Which is the top note, the bottom note? Which scent lingers the most in my mind.

From that point it's pretty much experimentation but at least I have some idea of the ratio of ingredients to each other. Make small batches and try to get as close to the original as possible.

Good luck!
Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby Rose of Sharon on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Do you have the blend on hand, so that you can compare as you go?

I would start by using 5 drops of each of the EOs you know is in it, then start adding/counting drops of whichever seems to be the dominant aroma/s.

Sniff and tweak, sniff and tweak, is my method. It takes awhile, but it's fun. ;) Just write down whatever you do - I start with a tally mark system, then when I've decided I have what I want, count and write up a recipe for myself.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby Zoe on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks Angie and Sharon. I like the idea of breathing in the scent and working on ciphering the different notes. I've a bit of a cold at the moment so will need to wait till my sinuses are free. lol

I do have the blend on hand for comparison purposes.

There are seven different EO's in this particular blend as well as calendula oil and vitamin E which are mixed into a base of jojoba oil.

There is one EO that I'm not very familiar with, cistus. Have either of you worked with it?
Zoe
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:40 pm

I have not worked with cistus.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby maestra on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:51 pm

I haven't worked with it either, but I have heard that cistus is known as the rock rose or... "Rose of Sharon."

Ironic, huh? ;) :lol:
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Naturesgift on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:22 am

Cistus oil... Cistus ladanifer... deep, resinous... very moving...

cistus is one of the most powerful oils, emotionally, that I've ever dealt with.

Physically its most effective use is for edema and lymphoedema. One of my mentors, years ago, used to say "Cistus moves fluids"... it's a wonderful oil to use for lymphatic drainage, and I've seen amazing results with lymphoedema.

The thing is, it works in rather the same way emotionally. It can move blocked emotions...which can be a bit of a shock if you are not expecting it. I know of some psychotherapists and counselors who use it, by diffusion, in their practices.

It's amazingly healing, but amazingly powerful.
Aromatherapy supplies and information
Naturesgift
Fresh Hands

Postby Zoe on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Thank you Naturesgift. That is wonderful information.

I visited an essence shop recently and asked if it was possible for the technician there to replicate the recipe for me. Unfortunately, they didn't have the cistus in stock. Checking into prices I am finding it on the expensive side. **sigh**
Zoe
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:14 am

You could contact these people... they may help: http://www.gritman.com/

They are well known for being a good AND helpful group. It's worth a shot to make the phone call.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Aromatherapy