Aromatherapist Professional Certification - where?

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Aromatherapist Professional Certification - where?

Postby Sole_Purpose on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:33 am

Hello - I did some BWOL searching and didn't really see any threads that address professional certification in aromatherapy. I found some info on ceu courses, etc.

Typically, do massage schools offer this certification or are there specialty schools that offer this program? I'd prefer not to do an online certification but would appreciate input in this area of learning, as well.

I also did a search through a professional organization - can't remember which one, NAHA maybe - and there didn't seem to be anything in or near New England (although maybe CT).

Heart of Herbs (herbal and aromatherapy certification programs) is in Vermont which I would be more than willing to travel to ...but the last time they updated their on-site schedule was in 2007, on their website. They have a distance learning program.

So, professional aromatherapists, where does one get a good education and certification in aromatherapy/essential oils?

P.S. I also saw a lot of programs overseas.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby Sole_Purpose on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:44 am

Just wanted to update this thread. Heart of Herbs is currently only offering the distance learning program.

Some other resource links I found with my research:

Sage Mountain Herbal Retreat Center & Botanical Sanctuary

Aromahead Institute

Aromatics International

Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy, Tampa FL

National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy

Aromatherapy Registration Council
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Aromatherapy Cert. for health care professionals

Postby Naturesgift on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:59 am

You might want to look into the Certificate program in Clinical Aromatherapy, offered by R. J. Buckle associates. Dr. Buckle is in the UK know but I know there is an EXCELLENT instructor in New England.

There's a face to face course offered in four modules, requiring case studies and leading to a certificate, and also a home study course.

The course offers an excellent basic grounding.

Another course, for distance learning, that has impressed me is offered by The West Coast Institute of Aromatherapy. Very well structured. That last one has an active online mail group for 'inter-activity."
Aromatherapy supplies and information
Naturesgift
Fresh Hands

Postby Sole_Purpose on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 am

Thank you!
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby spipkins on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks for the links!!! :D
spipkins
Fresh Hands

Re: Aromatherapist Professional Certification - where?

Postby highlandbodyworks on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:48 pm

No one has mentioned ISHA - http://www.ishaaromatherapy.com

They have a great class program and classes are pretty scattered throughout the US. You can sit for NAHA and AIA exams after this as well.

Almost done my certification program and loving it!

Jackie
highlandbodyworks
Registered Member

Re: Aromatherapy Cert. for health care professionals

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Naturesgift wrote:You might want to look into the Certificate program in Clinical Aromatherapy, offered by R. J. Buckle associates. Dr. Buckle is in the UK know but I know there is an EXCELLENT instructor in New England.

There's a face to face course offered in four modules, requiring case studies and leading to a certificate, and also a home study course.

The course offers an excellent basic grounding.

I am starting this course next month! It is 250 hours of combined workshop/education and homestudy/clinicals. Here's the link in case anyone is interested in more details on this course, it is now called "Clinical Aromatherapy for Health Professionals."
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Sole_Purpose on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Many thanks for the link. I'll be following your updates - good luck!
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby pueppi on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 am

Gritman Oils provides certification courses. They are south of the city center of Houston. I am not sure how their classes are compared to something like a CCAP (Certified Clinical Aromatherapy Practitioner), but if you know much about Aromatherapy, you may be able to better discuss that.

From their FAQ page:
What is a certified aromatherapist?

As of yet in this country, like in most alternative or complementary therapies, there is no legitimate board for aromatherapy certification. In Canada, England, and parts of Europe there are schools one can attend. Training can take 2 to 4 years. In America, by reading books, anyone could call themselves an aromatherapist. Recently the term "certified" aromatherapist has become popular to counter this. The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) has set up guidelines on becoming a certified aromatherapist. Gritman's Essential Oil School has taken these into consideration. Certification can vary greatly. It the responsibility of the students to weigh all of their options to see what program serves them best.

Hope this helps.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Sole_Purpose on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:09 am

Muchos gracias, Pueppi! Since I posted this, I have become super-sensitive to EOs and plants in general. An aromatherapy certification program is not for me, however, I will be studying flower essences (trees specifically) at some point in the near future.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Postby pueppi on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:42 am

Sole_Purpose wrote:I will be studying flower essences...

Perhaps this will intrigue you. One of my colleagues in my Reflexology class mentioned it.

What are flower essences?
Flower essences are infusions of flowers in water, that are potentized and then stabilized in a solution of brandy and water. They contain no scent or perfume and should not be confused with essential oils. Flower essences are very dilluted preparations and should not also be confused with herbal tinctures.

A flower essence contains no scent or perfume (except that of brandy, which is added as a stabilizer) and should not be confused with essential oils. They are very dilluted preparations and should not be confused with herbal tinctures.

Herbal tinctures are concentrated extracts of different plant parts and are commonly used to treat physical body symptoms. In fact, many of our modern medicines are synthetic versions of the extracts from plants.

Flower essences, on the other hand, while they may also stimulate physical healing, are used mainly to promote awareness of emotional, mental and spiritual imbalances.

In contrast with essential oils and herbal tinctures, we do not harvest or disturb the plant when making a flower essence. In most cases we use only a few wild flowers to prepare the infusion. It is stabilized with brandy and subsequently diluted to so that only minute traces of the chemical components from the original flowers remain, making then completely safe for use.

The medicine peoples of many cultures have used flower essences since ancient times, but only in the past seventy years or so, have they become better known.[1]

How can I get further information about Desert Alchemy® flower essences?For in-depth information about our desert flower essences, please refer to our comprehensive reference book The Alchemy of the Desert, Second Edition. To learn more about flower essence therapy, please see The Art & Technique of Using Flower Essences.

Other sources of information include our subscription newsletter, Desert Voice, and our Flower Essence Therapy Course and workshops.

The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Sole_Purpose on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks!

I have been working with flower essences almost as long as I've been practicing bodywork. I've learned more recently, over the past few years, that local essences are typically best. Thankfully, I have a few choices in MA and NH (and Vermont). Not that essences from across the pond aren't great, as I keep Bach's Rescue Remedy on hand (for self and dogs). I also keep keep Rescue Cream and Rescue Sleep.
Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Return to Aromatherapy