Hot when applied?

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

Hot when applied?

Postby healer611 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:24 am

I had a massage years ago from a therapist I didn't know and she used an oil that was unheated but was intentensly hot when applied to the skin. It was an immediate sensation and not unpleasant.

What essential oil or blend would produce an effect like this?
"Brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop people who don't want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch
healer611
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:53 am

Are you sure it wasn't just her hands? Many clients ask me immediately how I warmed my oil or what kind of warming oil I use, and I don't do either. My hands just get that hot. I frequently hear, "you must put your hands against a furnace just before touching me, then!"

One day my three-year-old took my hand to hold, felt that it was hot (it's not always hot, but when doing massage or even about to, they get hot), and immediately said, "Your hands are hot. I need a 'ssage!!"
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby healer611 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:13 pm

I doubt it was her hands because we had just started the massage. It was immediate upon her touching my skin.

I know what you mean about your hands generating heat - mine do also but after a few minutes of working.
"Brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop people who don't want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch
healer611
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Sometimes mine take a minute, but very often it is immediate.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby makingachange on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:38 pm

i agree - i get that statement all of the time. i do know that a company called beauticontrol makes a massage oil that warms up instantly. can't remember what it's called - they're a direct sales company.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Are you sure it wasn't some sort of tiger balm or similar concoction... or perhaps the prossage heat?
Worth looking into...
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby healer611 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:33 pm

I have no idea what it was - I was wondering if anyone here would know.

Is there a tiger balm that feels hot as soon as you apply it? Does Prossage work like this? The product I am describing would be used more for spot work, and I have never used either of the above products.
healer611
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 pm

I had a sample of prossage heat, (made by Performance Health, the makers of biofreeze) I believe that's how it's supposed to work, just to be used for spot work.

I never ordered any because I don't even use biofreeze much anymore. *shrug* But they might be willing to send you a sample.

http://www.prossage.us/faqs_healthcare.php#faq_70
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby softy515 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm

I find prossage to heat briefly then it becomes cool to me. I had a therapist use it extensively and I thought I would shiver right off the table! :(
softy515
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:29 pm

Was there a scent to the product?
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby KS MT on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:34 am

There's an essential oil blend from the company "Spa Technologies" called "Deep Heat." According to their website, they use eucalyptus, thyme, rosemary and juniper. We have it at the place I work, but I haven't tried it to see what the effects are. Since you've sparked my interest, I'll check it out next time I go in, and let you know if it has the effect you describe.

I know it's supposed to help with sore muscles, but I think it is also supposed to be warming as it is being used. Their website doesn't mention that part, though...
KS MT
Fresh Hands

Postby healer611 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 am

I don't remember any odor or fragrance to it.

Thanks, KS - I'd be interested in what you find out.
healer611
Registered Member

Postby lilmommajnn on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:20 pm

Glycerine has that effect on my skin...and no scent.
lilmommajnn
Fresh Hands

Return to Aromatherapy