what scents appeal to men

By request! This section is for discussion pertaining to the usage of aromatherapy.

Moderator: moogie

what scents appeal to men

Postby CHRISEATON76 on Sat May 31, 2008 7:22 am

I am going to have a large clientele of men in my practice and since they dont mind too much on smells, what are the best choices for men?
CHRISEATON76
Fresh Hands

Postby softy515 on Sat May 31, 2008 10:30 am

If they don't like scents, then go scentless.

If they are interested in some aromatherapy, and the conditions are right, I would suggest some of the following.

sandlewood
peppermint
cypress
rosemary

those are just a few. :)
softy515
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sat May 31, 2008 10:40 am

Believe it or not, ESPN radio did something about scents men and women prefer back around Valentine's Day.

Most of the aromas that got men interested in anything were food related, with Pumpkin Pie being #1.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Sat May 31, 2008 11:09 am

The last man I did an aromatherapy treatment for requested the "Peppermint/Java/Vanilla" Scent for his salt glow. It smelled like one of those yummy coffee drinks during christmas time. And foody while still being energizing because of the peppermint.

I really think that in order to offer aromatherapy (or just scented items in general) it's good to have a variety of scents to choose from, in the various groups of scents: foody, herbal, flowery, spicy, clean, fruity, etc. This way your client can choose for themselves. I would never have guessed that that man would want the scent he chose, but he absolutely loved it and I was glad I had scents available to mix for him.

And yes, always have unscented available. My husband, for instance, HATES all scented things. I always ask clients on intake if there is a particular scent or scents they are adverse to.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby nolalmt on Sat May 31, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm in a different market, but scents invite allergic reations and linger in the room. The next client may hate the prior scent. Scentless all the way here. Not an option.
nolalmt
Registered Member

Postby CaringHandsMss on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:33 pm

Peppermint
Tea tree
Bergamont
Sage
Patcholi
Vanilla
CaringHandsMss
Retired Moderator

guy scents

Postby Foramenmagnus on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:40 pm

OK as a guy yes anything food would work. If you could get some hickory and mesquite essencial oil most men would fall into a state of relaxation only a fog horn could pull them out of.
Suprisingly I found that 2 "girly" scents work well on my body chemistry, I use lavender and jasmine on myself and after a hemp pepperment soap shower to wake me up, I feel it is a manly and soft fragrant. I wouldn't wear it to a contruction site (my former job) but I still feel it reflects my personality as a man.
As far as general population guys go maybe stick to the "envigorating" smells of peppermint, tea tree, eucyliptis, and don't blend. Guys like one smell.
I've experienced many things in my life. Some of which really happened.-- MARK TWAIN
Foramenmagnus
Fresh Hands

Return to Aromatherapy